Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 2)

ILuvDaBush

assuming they draft at 10 - dejuan blair. With CV being a restricted FA the bucks really have no options at the 4 position. I don't see alexander being able to play the 4 at a high level and the only other option they have is allen. Blair would give us an inside presence coupled with Bogut.

in the 2nd round I'd take McNeal. I know he is undersized but he has always been a defensively gifted player and with the 3 point shot added to his game I think he would be a decent backup for Redd

I don't want any part of Blair. I think he's too short to play the 4 in the NBA, but that's just my opinion. He may have the 'length' to play the 4 I guess...at least that's what I've read.

I still would love to see the Bucks take Ty Lawson. I know it doesn't match exactly with how the Bucks roster is set now, but that could all change this summer.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
draft:

assuming they draft at 10 - dejuan blair. With CV being a restricted FA the bucks really have no options at the 4 position. I don't see alexander being able to play the 4 at a high level and the only other option they have is allen. Blair would give us an inside presence coupled with Bogut.

in the 2nd round I'd take McNeal. I know he is undersized but he has always been a defensively gifted player and with the 3 point shot added to his game I think he would be a decent backup for Redd

I like McNeal but I think Dominic James if he is available in the 2nd round would fit in with the Bucks better. Having Sessions as the starting PG and James as the 6th man or the #3 PG on the team. I believe James will be a good defensive PG in the league even with his height. James is a player that I believe would fit perfectly into Skiles coaching style. I believe there are other players in this draft that are like James who could fall to the Bucks in the second round. The top tier talent is really low though Lawson, Griffin, and others are really the only can't miss players in this draft. I'm not even sure that after Lawson and Griffin there really is someone who is a can't miss player.

I believe the Bucks are going to trade out of the lottery or draft a foreign player and hope that they stay over seas for a couple of years.

i agree with you that the bucks may try to take the cheap way out of the draft. I think Blair will be more like an Anthony Mason and less like Tractor Traylor. I think he could help us around 10. I don't think James will be drafted but really like Matthers and McNeals game. I just think McNeals defense could help us off the bench and he'd be a good 2nd round pick.

I think one thing is for certain, whatever player they draft at #10 will not instantly make the Bucks a contender. Yeah maybe with the right parts they can get into the playoffs as a 6,7, or 8 seed but with the roster they have I jusrt don''t see how they can compete with Orlando, Cleveland, and Boston in the East. They need a difference maker who is not going to be there at #10. Couple that with the likely loss of either CV or Sessions and Hammond still has a lot work to do to get this team back above .500.

I dont follow basketball much, but wont next year's team be adding Michael Redd, Andruw Bogut and the #10 pick? That is a pretty big bump up from this year...one would think.

You are right about this. However I would argue that if all were to go perfect next year, everyone stays healthy, they get a good player in the draft, the Bucks would still be the fourth best team in the East behind Cleveland, Boston and Orlando. They would fall into a second tier with Miami, Chicago and Philly. The fact of the matter is this team is in a real tough spot because of its financial situation. It will be hard to Jettison their veterans to rebuild but their veterans really can't take the team to an elite level.

The only problem with that Rydogg is if they keep their pick they're definitely losing CV, and most likely Sessions as well. And Redd isn't a lock to be ready for opening day. Their bench depth is horrible as well. Giving Malik Allen a 2 year deal was just unbelievably dumb.

patrickgpe's scenario would be ideal as far as I'm concerned. I think Blair will be a good pro, and give Bogut another banger.

I dont follow basketball much, but wont next year's team be adding Michael Redd, Andruw Bogut and the #10 pick? That is a pretty big bump up from this year...one would think.
I should have mentioned getting Bogut and Redd back but I still don't see them being any better than a perenial 6-8 seed. Bogut and Redd have also been on the last 2 Bucks teams and they were terrible as well, its not like the makeup of the team changed in 2009 compared to 2007-2008. If the entire team stays healthy the entire year I can maybe see 45 wins or so, but that is about it. With a healthy roster, Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, Miami are definitely better and we would be on par with Detroit, Chicago, Philly, and maybe a couple others.

Bogut was putting up great rebounding numbers before he began to get bogged down by his broken back. One could argue it was because the team lacked any semblance of a natural "4" but I would say that he finally turned the corner. He was also asserting himself more efficiently (read: without fouling as much). Also, I would argue that with RJ's stat-padding at the end of the year, that we will find it easier to unload his burdensome contract, if we so choose. Redd/Gadz will be a bit more difficult. I wish Scotty Skiles could mold Gadz into a Birdman over the winter. Or better yet, just mention to the Birdman what his home nation is and ask if he could bring him home with him to study him (and Birdman study his Dutch).

• 5 weeks later...

Draft lottery tonight. With ESPN's mock draft lottery they have the Bucks taking Jrue Holiday a G from UCLA at the 10th pick in the draft. I wouldn't mind taking Holiday since he could become a great PG in the league but I would rather take my chances and trading down and taking Ty Lawson in the 15th-20th pick range. I'm still not sure how the Bucks will be able to stay below the salary cap. I believe if the Bucks take Lawson or Holiday that Sessions will be let go and they will resign Villanueva or possibly resign neither of them which would be a big mistake. The Bucks will still have to find more depth for their team if they lose both Sessions and Villanueva.

Forgot to add the link to the draft lottery thing at ESPN.

They'll take a PG in the first. The Bucks can't afford to be cheap this summer. I know most think they will be, but if they have a poor year I get the feeling they'll be closer to leaving Milwaukee. I hope Herbie isn't going to let that happen. Make a few nice moves and get some fans back in the seats...or else this team will be gone in 5 years.

Well lets see...we don't need a SG or SF, we don't need a C, if we wanted, we could possibly try signing Charlie V AND Sessions, which means we really have no holes. If we can keep the team healthy (and yes, that's a HUGE if), then really we'd be ok with trading down, and just drafting the best player available. We're not a remarkably old team, and our bench isn't horrible (Mbah a Moute can spot start, Alexander can only go up from his rookie season, Ridnour/Sessions will platoon at PG, Danny G is ok, etc.)

Where is Ty Lawson falling nowadays?

I would imagine within the top 20.

I'm hoping Stephen Curry falls to us.

No way the Knicks pass up on Stephen Curry. He fits their system perfectly I don't see how or why the Knicks would pass up on Curry. I would rather trade down though and take Ty Lawson. There is only two teams behind the Bucks who really need a PG or would pick a PG. Detroit and Phoenix are the only two teams I would be worried about taking Lawson but the Bucks could possibly trade that pick away for a pick this year and next year to one of those two teams.

I am still mad that the Bucks didn't trade RJ away during the deadline. The Bucks would be in a perfect position this offseason to keep their players and have a good PG. Remember Redd is going to be starting the year hurt yet. So the Bucks are going to have to find someone to fill in for Redd.

I'm hoping Stephen Curry falls to us.

I am still mad that the Bucks didn't trade RJ away during the deadline. The Bucks would be in a perfect position this offseason to keep their players and have a good PG. Remember Redd is going to be starting the year hurt yet. So the Bucks are going to have to find someone to fill in for Redd.

Yep

The contracts for both Redd and Jefferson are both major anchors holding the franchise hostage, yet when Hammond was given a get out of jail free card for one of them he threw it away. Incredibly stupid decision.

I really wish Redd wouldn't have gotten injured during the year. I believe the Bucks would have been able to ship Redd away a lot easier than trying to move RJ even though I believe Cleveland would have taken RJ and it would have helped us a lot this offseason.

I'm not that familiar with the NBA's salary cap rules but I wonder if the Bucks can trade away RJ or Redd this offseason and somehow get out of some of the money owed to those two players. Redd won't be able to be dealt during the offseason but he is definitely a candidate during the deadline next year hopefully the Bucks do the right thing this next season and if things are not going good in the season to trade away Redd and RJ.

This offseason would have been a perfect storm to redo the team and make it into Skyles team. Draft Holiday to play the PG and then run the offense through Bogut. The Bucks would only then need to find a shooter to help out Bogut on the perimeter. McNeal and other second round players could have been a perfect choice for that even Bell would be a decent option or Sessions out on the perimeter.

Just a very frustrating decision made by the Bucks not to trade RJ during the deadline.

I really wish Redd wouldn't have gotten injured during the year. I believe the Bucks would have been able to ship Redd away a lot easier than trying to move RJ even though I believe Cleveland would have taken RJ and it would have helped us a lot this offseason.

1. Cleveland was going to take Jefferson. They offered the expiring contract of Wally Szczerbiak for RJ and in an absolute brainfart of a decision, Hammond said no. Hammond said he didn't want to help a division rival and the thought of handing the Cavs RJ made his stomach turn. Only an idiot would care that the Cavs are in the Bucks division given that the divisions in the NBA are nearly irrelavent. All that matters is finishing with a top 8 record in your conference. Plus, the Bucks would have ZERO chance to compete with the Cavs next year regardless if Cleveland had RJ or not. It's beyond baffling that Hammond actually passed on the chance to dump the bad contract of Jefferson and give the team some financial flexibility for next year and the following year. Non-special highly paid wings like Redd/RJ are a big waste of money to any teams lacking a true superstar to pair with the overpaid wings.

2. I go on a certain Bucks forum and there is a guy on there that has provided inside info multiple times that proved to end up being correct. He said that he heard the Bucks could have moved Redd prior to last season, but just like with Jefferson, Hammond said no because all he'd get in return was an expiring contract. To that all i'd say is earth to Hammond, being able to dump the anchor to the franchise that is Michael Redd was plenty in return and not the garbage offers that Hammond considered it. I'll rejoice the day Michael Redd and his ridiculous contract are gone from the Bucks, giving him that max contract was a massive mistake and has haunted the franchise.

I'm not that familiar with the NBA's salary cap rules but I wonder if the Bucks can trade away RJ or Redd this offseason and somehow get out of some of the money owed to those two players. Redd won't be able to be dealt during the offseason but he is definitely a candidate during the deadline next year hopefully the Bucks do the right thing this next season and if things are not going good in the season to trade away Redd and RJ.

The huge mistake of not trading RJat the deadline was how the CBA works. If say RJ had been traded or Wally at the deadline, Hammond would have shaved about 15 million off the cap for this offseason. If though Hammond were to trade Jefferson during this offseason, he has to take pretty much matching money back which whipes away having financial flexibility this year. Not only could that decision possibly end up costing the Bucks Sessions or our lottery pick for tax reasons, it removes any chance of maybe getting a quality player on the cheap from a team looking to dump salary.

This offseason would have been a perfect storm to redo the team and make it into Skyles team. Draft Holiday to play the PG and then run the offense through Bogut. The Bucks would only then need to find a shooter to help out Bogut on the perimeter.

I also like Holiday, but don't think he'll end up being there at the 10th pick. As for Bogut though, i don't think the Bucks offense will ever run mainly through Andrew simply because i don't think he's skilled enough offensively. Bogut has become a high quality defensive player and good rebounder, but offensively, he skills are to lacking IMO to be a No.1 option. He has no midrange jumper or post up jumper at all. In the post, his only consistent move is that little lefty flip hook shot. On days he's missing that flip hook or a good defender is blocking that shot, Andrew doesn't have much else to turn to. He's also a poor free throw shooter and turns it over to much when double teamed in the post. Until Bogut can develop a midrange jumper/post up jumper and/or more varied post moves, i think he'll continue be what he's always been, an inconsistent offensive threat and thus can't be counted on as a big man to run the offense through.

Archived