Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 2)

ILuvDaBush
  • Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought you were against adding salary/players? You can't have it both ways.
I'm against signing known mediocre talent (Warrick and Delfino, I would include Ukic, but he has a while to go before he could be considered mediocre.)

My plan the whole time has been clear out as many big contracts as you can and play young players. If you suck, great. Add another high pick and young player to your core. If you win, even better. That means you already have a good, young team with room for future growth beyond that.

I get what you're saying trwi7. You've been against the Bucks moves for awhile and I respect your opinion. I would like to hear an explanation from the Bucks. I honestly don't know if it was really money related...it's not like the Bucks didn't know this was possible (ie him signing a deal for the money he did). They CHOSE to spend that money...so I guess what I'm saying is that they're either not sold on Sessions or worried about him on the same team with Jennings for the next few years. I don't know if those are legit reasons or not, but it was still not played very well. I think the biggest 'miss' may have not been trading Ridnour.

So why not just keep Sessions then since he's the best player out of Delfino and Ukic and will be making less than those two combined next year?
Just to be clear, I was very much in favor of keeping Sessions, so this would have been my preference. But I don't think its that simple, and without knowing details of what negotiations took place, its hard for me to pass too much judgment...even though he was an RFA, he could still turn down our contract offers. All I'm saying is that a sign & trade might not have been better than nothing. Looking at Minnesota's roster, the only player (with matching salaries) that I would have taken back is Kevin Love, and I'm sure the Twolves would have laughed at us for asking about him.

If re-signing Sessions was a realistic possibility, the only other explanation I can think of is that Hammond preferred to spend that money on depth. And to be fair to him, he didn't really have time to wait around forever and potentially start the season without a full roster.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So why not just keep Sessions then since he's the best player out of Delfino and Ukic and will be making less than those two combined next year?

Are Delfino and Ukic signed beyond 2009 - 2010?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So essentially the Bucks are locked in to those two players for two years max. Matching the Sessions offer was locking them in for four years min, right? I'm guessing the roster flexibility factored into their decision.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It wouldn't have been four years max with Sessions. There's always the possibility of trading him and I believe he has an opt out clause after the third year (although I'm not completely sure on that.) There was no reason to think that he couldn't be traded and it would be pretty easy to get under the luxury tax.

Well yeah anyone can be traded prior to their contract expiring.

except Gadzuric apparently. I don't like the no-match because giving away assets for nothing is a bad idea if you don't have many assets. I didn't want Sessions on the roster; but something in return would have been nice. Same for Villanueva.

I have no problem with the "No Match." Charlie Bell was the epitome of a lung cancer that first year, and it seems that the current regime treasures the coronary muscles over the talent level of someone lacking. Scott Skiles learned his lesson in Chicago, and I'm seriously excited. Next year, we'll probably blow chunks, but I guarantee you we won't see Tank Job, Part Deux. This team is unquestionably Mike and Andrew's. Two Olympians. Both gifted, and yet incomplete. But the foundation, nevertheless, they are.

Archived