Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 2)

ILuvDaBush
  • Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Something else has got to be in the works.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I guess you could argue that it makes some sense as far as moving depth around, now that we know we're keeping Kurt Thomas. But I saw Warrick as more of a SF anyway, and I was pretty excited about Johnson. Weems...well, if his twitter is any indication, he has to be the least interesting man in the world. For that reason alone, I could have seen myself rooting for him (and he probably would have begged me to come over and watch Matlock).

That should leave us with:

C: Bogut/Thomas/Gadz/Elson

PF: Ilyasova/Thomas/Warrick/Alexander

SF: Moute/Warrick/Alexander/Delfino

SG: Redd/Meeks/Bell/Delfino

PG: Jennnings/Ridnour/Ukic

so I guess we traded a potential starting PF for 3rd and 4th string guards. I guess it probably won't make that much difference. Bogut must have been playing Deputy GM here, and just wanted his buddy Ukic in.

You don't like a move the Bucks made? I'm shocked.
Cynicism is easy. It's low risk. When you are right, and for the Bucks this has been a good bet recently, you fall back on negativity to be 'right' and keep your credibility. If for some reason you are wrong and have to live through a successful season, you fall back on being a 'fan' and everything is roses. Those who maintain and demonstrate a positive outlook leave themselves open to potential ridicule for being 'wrong'.

Really, this trade takes one spot (4) where there might have been some extra guys and give insurance for the 1 and 2; as well as some upgraded practice competition. That part, I think, gets under-looked. So, I see this as an overall upgrade of talent. Does add money, but nothing that should really matter much in the end.

I know I've agreed with most of what the Bucks have done this off-season to a certain extent, but I'm not so sure about this move. I'm probably one of the few that really liked Amir so it stinks to trade him. I guess if he did have a huge year he was going to be a free agent at the end of the season anyways. It'll be interesting to see what type of contract Delfino ends up getting.

Really, this trade takes one spot (4) where there might have been some extra guys and give insurance for the 1 and 2; as well as some upgraded practice competition. That part, I think, gets under-looked. So, I see this as an overall upgrade of talent. Does add money, but nothing that should really matter much in the end.

I don't know about you, but I'd have rather just bought out Oberto's contract, and signed Sessions, and called it an offseason. I was fine with trading for Amir Johnson initially, because there was a wee chance he breaks out and becomes a stud. Instead, we have Delfino and Ukic, and no Sessions. There just isn't any upside there.

I'm just floored that we've lost Villanueva, and now Sessions, for nothing. What a nightmare.

I guess you place more value on those two then I do. They would be nice to have I guess, but I didn't see either as worth anything long-term that ties up money (again). I view those two as more Charlie Bell and Tim Thomas then difference makers.

Talent-wise it's a great deal. I'm kinda worried about what kind of deal Delfino will get. Amir Johnson sucked, let's be honest and Weems wasn't even going to make the team.

Let's see what happens with Sessions now.

This team will go nowhere with Redd's contract on the books. The goal should be to create the best team, without adding additional salary in 2010-11, when Redd's contract expires. Both CV and Sessions would have had to be extended beyond then, and they do not fit into Skiles coaching philosophy. Neither play defense, and a box of rocks is smarter than both of them combined.

I like adding Delfino, because he is very good defensively, and a very good shooter. It will give Jennings one more option to dish to when he breaks down a defense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4408288

Three year $10.5M deal for Delfino, second season is only partially guaranteed, and third season has no guaranteed money. So considering that averages to $3.5M per year, it is equal or less than the $3.9M that Johnson was due this year. No reason to get worked up about this. Plus, I have a hard time envisioning a guy who is 6'9", 210lbs (Johnson) as being a true PF and not a SF, so I think the Bucks got the better of this deal.

Roster is taking shape:

C - Bogut, Gadz, Elson

PF - Thomas, Mbah a Moute, Sharpe Warrick

SF - Alexander, Delfino, Mbah a Moute, (Ilyasova)

SG - Redd, Meeks, Bell, Delfino

PG - Jennings, Sessions?, Ridnour, Ukic

If they can somehow unload Ridnour (and/or Bell) and keep Sessions, or get something of value in a sign-and-trade with Sessions, it will be a pretty good offseason.

Edit - I forgot about Ilyasova and Warrick - I knew I was missing someone at the forward spots.

Don't forget Ilyasova, and Sharpe is out for the season too. But I agree, the offseason hasn't been too bad so far. We came in with too many overpaid and/or useless old players, now we have mostly younger, useful guys. That's not a bad thing at all. Maybe there is more that could have been done clear salary, but just because the realgm trade checker approves a deal doesn't make it realistic.

I do hate losing Sessions, but I'm not even convinced he's gone.

Archived