Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 2)

ILuvDaBush
Schedule was released today. Interesting tidbit: if Bowen signs with the Spurs, there's a good chance he will have to spend part of Christmas in Milwaukee. The Spurs play in Milwaukee on December 26. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How is Sessions part of the long term future when the Bucks have Jennings? I like Sessions too but there's no reason to break the bank to keep the guy. It's not like half the league is banging down his door to sign him - it's the dregs of the league fighting (and I use that term loosely) over him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I agree homer. One thing I don't like the way the Bucks are operating (or maybe its a huge flaw in the NBA) is that they didn't get compensation for CV and we'll see what happens with Sessions. MLB and the NFL have compensation in place for losing free agents. The NBA needs something similar.

Well, the NBA does have the 'sign-and-trade' option, which is pretty decent in the grand scheme considering you get a NBA-level player(s) in return. Compensation success in MLB/NFL relies on the draft picks actually panning out.

Well, the NBA does have the 'sign-and-trade' option, which is pretty decent in the grand scheme considering you get a NBA-level player(s) in return. Compensation success in MLB/NFL relies on the draft picks actually panning out.

True, but most of the time that's used it's 'at least we get something' type of a deal and I think that benefits situations where max money is an issue...it's not this year. I don't know what the clause is (trwi7 probably knows), but the team with the rights to a player can pay more than any other team...that just hasn't factored in this year yet due the cap limitations.

RFA (like Sessions) usually garner some pretty decent hauls. Joe Johnson comes to mind, he was signed and traded to Atlanta for Boris Diaw and two 1sts. The main reason is because any team can match. UFA's on the other hand rarely get anything other than a trade exception, which is still useful, but not nearly as much as picks/prospects.

RFA (like Sessions) usually garner some pretty decent hauls. Joe Johnson comes to mind, he was signed and traded to Atlanta for Boris Diaw and two 1sts. The main reason is because any team can match. UFA's on the other hand rarely get anything other than a trade exception, which is still useful, but not nearly as much as picks/prospects.

Oh I agree. There can be levels of success with the sign and trade, but I just feel there should at least be some kind of compensation like the other leagues have. Let's say one team wants Sessions and will pay him $8 million a year over 6 years (I know this won't happen...it's just an example). And based on how the NBA cap seems so screwed up with teams have little room this team is the only one that will meet the demands. The Bucks could match it to trade him, but if the one team is the only one with the cap room/willing to pay that much I just don't see how you can get the value back you should be getting.

I'd love to see teams have to give up first round picks as compensation to sign guys that are determined to be that good. I think it would really change the game in a good way.

There can be levels of success with the sign and trade, but I just feel there should at least be some kind of compensation like the other leagues have.

I tend to agree. It's worth exploring, anyway. However, the financial benefits of not shelling out an $8mil/year contract are pretty signfiicant.

If a team thinks highly of their second round draft pick, can't they offer him a 3-year contract? I believe that was the case with LRMAM and Jodie Meeks. I realize this is a moot point, but had Larry Harris signed Ramon Sessions to a 3-year deal (assuming that was feasible at the time), the Bucks wouldn't be in this predicament.

How is Sessions part of the long term future when the Bucks have Jennings? I like Sessions too but there's no reason to break the bank to keep the guy. It's not like half the league is banging down his door to sign him - it's the dregs of the league fighting (and I use that term loosely) over him.

I like Jennings a lot, but he hasn't even played a minute yet. He could easily be a Telfair type bust in the NBA. Also, it seems that Sessions will be getting a contract for less than the MLE. He will be underpaid.

I just don't see where the compensation would be. It wouldn't be draft picks since 2nd rounders don't have a lot of value and usually don't turn into anything, if it's a 1st rounder teams aren't going to go after them since the teams that usually have the cap space are the rebuilding lottery teams.

I doubt they want to add compensation between the 1st and 2nd round and dilute the talent base even more.

And yes you can get three year deals as long as you use part of your MLE to sign them to those deals.

The compensation could be staggered though depending on the size of the contract. It could be something like lottery teams can sign any free agent without giving up their pick, non-lottery teams have to give up their first round pick if the contract is greater than $X average per year or $X total contract value, or give up a second round pick if the contract is less than that particular level per year. As long as they protect the lottery picks I think compensation will work out just fine.

Yeah I don't get the point of that, that is unless Ridnour end up going somewhere so we end up needing a backup. I don't think it would be a good idea for a competition between Jennings & Telfair for a starting spot, given their personalities it just seems like it wouldn't end well.

not sure why the clippers would give us anything of value, since the bucks have already said they can't match offers above 3 million. Offer him the MLE and get him for nothing else. If i were the bucks i wouldn't take their garbage (talfair) to help them get a player that i think has a lot of value.

I don't think the Bucks haven't really said anything about the situation, besides the fact that they would like to retain Sessions. The rest of the reports have been from agents, or unnamed sources. I get the feeling that Woelfel is just throwing out a whole bunch of speculation.

I don't think the Bucks haven't really said anything about the situation, besides the fact that they would like to retain Sessions. The rest of the reports have been from agents, or unnamed sources. I get the feeling that Woelfel is just throwing out a whole bunch of speculation.
I'm pretty sure his (and the NY media) have only heard things from his agent. Every day, I feel more and more certain that he'll wind up taking the QO.

At this point, is it pretty much certain that Ramon Sessions is going to the Clippers or Knicks? Google News seems hazy on the subject

Still only a bunch of talk from his agent. If either team were really interested, they would have signed him weeks ago IMO.

Archived