Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 2)

ILuvDaBush
  • Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The highlights showed Alexander hitting a nice jumper and also showing him driving and dishing for an easy layup (can't remember who). Check out nba.com, they show nice 1 min+ highlight clips.

I'm guessing they didn't show Alexander's airballed dunk attempt. He was pretty frustrating to watch...if you don't count his miserable shooting, he actually looked like a great player to me. Unfortunately, shooting is kind of important.

I'm guessing they didn't show Alexander's airballed dunk attempt. He was pretty frustrating to watch...if you don't count his miserable shooting, he actually looked like a great player to me. Unfortunately, shooting is kind of important.
That's why I'm always wary when hear a player's "athleticism" touted. I sometimes think it's code for "he can really leap, he but can't make anything longer than a 10-footer."

Sounds like Jennings had a real solid game yesterday. 22 points and 8 assists. Meeks also had another good game. I am pretty excited for these two.

I still have hope for Alexander. I liked the pick at the time but he has a lot of work to do. He was a decent shooter in college but his shot is really awkward. With his athleticism he should be a much better rebounder and defender right now too.

Jennings looked very good. He could have had a bunch more assists too, he had some nice passes that resulted in missed wide-open jumpers that an average NBA player probably would have made. What really impressed me is that he looked like he was still trying to work on stuff (jump shooting and distribution, particularly), so he played well despite not showcasing his biggest strength (attacking the rim). He sort of looks like a middle school kid when he shoots from long range, but hey, whatever works.

I also have some hope for Alexander, since his biggest weakness IMO is basketball IQ, and that is something that hopefully will come with experience. Despite his age, he still hasn't been playing the game as long as most rookie/second year players. He desperately needs to play, whether that's with the Bucks or in the D-League. That all said, he's been really bad, to the point that I almost feel bad for him.

Marcus Haislip was an excellent athlete as well. Whether Alexander figures it out more than Haislip is still up in the air, we can only hope for the best.

Hard to not be excited about this year's picks for the admittedly small sample so far, however. Jennings could be a game breaker, almost an Iverson-light with more distribution.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Anyone watch the game tonight? JA is 8 for 12 from the floor and 7 for 8from the line. Just curious if his points are all in the paint or from the outside. I will say that he's been getting to the line quite a bit this summer which is a good sign.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He looked good. Jennings looked great though. A number of great passes and a ton of steals. Got posted up by Evans a number of times since Evans has a ton of size on Jennings, but he also forced a ton of turnovers from Evans as well.

Did anybody else see that the Hawks just re-signed Zaza Pachulia? I still remember when we had to choose between the Flying Dutchman and Zaza Pachulia. I always liked the young chap. Still, we got the Dutchman. Ayye, the Dutchman.

I noticed that Evans didn't even bring the ball up the court for the Kings every time. He very well could end up at SG. Jennings was awesome. He's playing like a true PG, and not an Iversonesque undersized SG that a lot of people expected. Johnson had his best game so far, and Alexander had possibly his first good game as a Buck - he was actually making his shots, and was a lot more sure-handed in both possession and grabbing rebounds. His positioning (particularly on defense) still needs work, but overall an encouraging sign.

Back to Jennings - his shooting mechanics really need some help. I have no idea what it would take to tear it down and teach him to shoot the right way, but if the Bucks' coaches can do it, this guy could be unstoppable. The fact that he can be reasonably effective with his goofy middle school shot is actually kind of impressive, in a weird way. I know I should step back and remind myself that this is just the summer league, and they're playing against guys who will be bagging groceries in a month, but I can't help but get excited about the upcoming sason.

It's a shame that the Bucks couldn't go 5-0 in Summer League play, but I am satisfied with the end result. I'm not a qualified judge of basketball talent, but I'd give them a solid B. How about that Jodi Meeks? I realize that they only played five exhibition games, but I'm a little more optimistic about the Bucks' future than I was one week ago (just a little more).

the summer league has alteast given fans hope that they drafted all right and are on the right way up. I know it means very little but our young players outplayed other teams young players and thats something. I really like the Illasova signing. He was a decent player before going overseas and should help ease the loss of RJ .

Jennings is looking to be a great pick he might be the 2nd best pick in the draft this year. Hopefully Jennings can do this during the regular season the Bucks may actually have a future now. Any word on Sessions?

Jennings has been playing very well at summer league. He's been a distributor and facilitator making the other players much better. Pretty much the opposite of what some people thought about him. Before the draft and after I saw people comparing him to Iverson in that he wouldn't be a facilitator but will be a score first PG who doesn't make his teammates better. So far that doesn't seem to be the case.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How bout Meeks? Lighting it up last night. Another 2nd round steal?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How bout Meeks? Lighting it up last night. Another 2nd round steal?

I hope so, he sure looks like it. It will be interesting to see if he becomes a regular off the bench this season. The additions of Ilyasova and Meeks should help make us a much better outside shooting ballclub.

I think Ersan will be a steal at that price, from what I've seen and heard his game has improved a lot. He was one of the best young players in Europe last season.

Hopefully next up for the Bucks is bringing back Sessions, and trading Ridnour. I also think they will bring in a SF, maybe one of Matt Barnes, Rodney Carney or Ime Udoka?

Some interesting news from twitter...

According to Gery Woelfel, the Bucks have inquired w/ the Jazz about Carlos Boozer, but a deal is unlikely.

Also, Drew Gooden asked which team he should play for and listed the Bucks w/ the Cavs, Bobcats and another team, that slipped my mind.

I for one would love to see Carlos Boozer w/ the Bucks, and wouldn't mind Gooden if he could be signed cheaply. I am hoping that Boozer is the FA that is brought in after this year, since he is a 26 year old 20/10 PF that plays w/ a mean streak.

Yeah, his offseason has been really good this year. All he has to do is sign Sessions, which should be a no-brainer. Even if you don't have him in long-term plans, he should had value at what he'll wind up getting.
I'm with you, keeping Sessions will be huge in how i evaluate the offseason.

Archived