Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 2)

ILuvDaBush

Intentional, or an unintentional choice of words?

Iverson has played a lot at the 2, and Meeks is only listed as 2" shorter than Redd, so I don't think that being 6'4" is really too small to play the 2. I think other factors are more important.

Intentional.

There are shorter players that have overcome their height. We'll see if Meeks is one of them. I worry that he's not going to be able to create enough space between himself and the defender before he gets the ball. Again, it's not a bad 2nd round pick. I would've like to see them take Danny Green though.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blair reminded me too much of Tractor Traylor. Wide body, yet too short. Scorer and rebounder in college, yet may not be able to do either in the NBA.

Most shorter guys that create space inside in college, get eaten alive in the pros.

As I posted earlier, Blair's height (or lack thereof), plus his weight, plus his FT% of 60%, leads me to believe that outside of the paint he doesn't have much value; any one of those three individually is not a big deal but all three combined are cause for concern. And in the pros he will be going against athletic guys who are 6" taller than him, not athletic guys his height or unathletic guys taller than him like in college. Charles Barkley was able to be successful at Blair's height (give or take an inch), but Barkley carried less weight, was more athletic, and could shoot from beyond 10'.

Bucks won't make the QO to CV. Don't really understand why they wouldn't - $4.6mm for a year isn't that bad, and if he gets a high dollar long-term offer from someone, you just don't match it. Nothing to lose by making the offer, but that's why they are the Bucks...

I agree, I don't like the decision, he is definitely worth more than 4.6 million, and they need scoring. If they don't like him that much why didn't they flip him at the deadline last season when he was playing so well?

I wonder if CV's twitters about the Cavaliers have convinced the Bucks that they he doesn't want to play in Milwaukee. CV had some moments for us but he has a lot of holes in his game too (he tends to get lost on defense). A legitimate question is what do we have? I don't know how much gas Kurt Thomas has left in his tank. It seems like everybody in the NBA is going to be a free agent after the season. We could have a drastically different roster again in 2010-11. We have never recovered from the Larry Harris era.

They would have been a playoff team last season if Redd or Bogut didn't get hurt, and Villanueva was the starter. I have a feeling that he will be starting at PF for the Cavs next season too, he was very good for the Bucks last season, probably their best player.

It wasn't a long term deal, it was just a one-year tender qualifying offer. And CV is more of a SF than a PF (again, don't let the height fool you), and they have that covered between Vanilla Sky and apparently Ilyasova. Apparently it was an either/or with CV or Sessions, and if I have to make that choice I'd go with Sessions. Jennings will have a bit of a learning curve, so I'd like to have Sessions/Ridnour running the point this year and then next season after Ridnour's contract is up have Sessions and Jennings running the point. Teams need two good point guards because if one goes down the whole team goes down.

He signed a 3 year 20 million dollar deal in Greece, but he has an opt out clause after each season. I think he is trying to see if he can get close to the same money in the NBA, and he stated that he doesn't want to play for the Hawks.

I could really see a sign-and-trade with Luke Ridnour here.
I would love to see that happen, especially if we could bring back Sessions at a reasonable rate. I think J-Chill is an underrated player, that will help win games.

That would be awesome, if the Hawks would take Ridnour for Childress. Might end up having to throw in a pick.

Sessions/Jennings

Redd/Bell

Childress/LRMAM

Johnson/Illyasova

Bogut/Thomas

Not too bad.

What do you guys think about the notion that the Bucks should have made the qualifying offer to Charlie V in the hopes of working out a sign-and-trade involving him?

Some people are saying the Bucks were idiotic for not making the QO because worst-case scenario is that nobody made Charlie an offer and they were stuck with him for next season at $4.6M.

I disagree with that. Even if we did trade him, we still would have had to take around $5m in salary back. Instead, we actually have enough flexibility to use a MLE on a free agent - we wouldn't be discussing Josh Childress right now if we try to sign CV, and I'll take Childress any day of the week. If the Bucks were planning on spending that money anyway, the decision comes down to where you can better value - through trade, or through free agency.

There's also the theory that we didn't extend the QO as a favor to him and his agent, who just so happens to be Luc Mbah a Moute's agent as well. Makes some sense.

I'd love to see a sign and trade involving Childress. It would be beneficial to the Hawks as well. Ridnour would give them insurance in case they don't resign Bibby and a quality backup to Bibby if they do resign him. Childress is a very good defender and a team player. Scott Skiles would like him.

Archived