Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 2)

ILuvDaBush
Jennings might be a bit of a project, but I think Holiday was moreso. He might be a better player defensively, but he also didnt really even play PG for UCLA last year, Collison did. I saw almost nothing from Holiday when I saw UCLA play last year. Granted I didnt see anything from Brandon Jennings while he played in Europe, but from all accounts he matured a lot and improved his game there, despite limited playing time. I wanted Flynn, but Jennings was the next guy on the list for me. Theyre both projects in their own way, but I know that Jennings has the skillset to play point guard. I dont know that about Holiday. I would have taken Lawson ahead of Holiday.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a bid odd...they cut to the Milwaukee Bucks background after the announced the Phoenix pick. For a split second I thought the Bucks actually made a trade for another pick, but it was just to announce that Jennings was there.

Once again, the pick wasn't terrible but I just think there was a better option. I guess I overreacted just a bit.

I really like the Jennings pick. I actually liked his comments on Rubio. I felt he made some good points about Rubio avoiding workouts and thus not risking himself being exposed. Jennings went against guys like Flynn and Lawson in workouts. He tested himself against the best and wasn't afraid of being exposed or outplayed. I like his competitive spirit.

Bucks take one of Hill/Holliday/Jennings, in that order. Out of those three, I'd want Holliday. Him and Sessions could easily play together in the backcourt.

That's exactly why I wanted Holliday over Jennings. Sessions can handle the offense while Holliday handles the defense. We don't need 2 offensive PG's.

Looks like the Timberwolves are going to be making a trade and as I am typing this that is exactly what they are doing. Hopefully the Bucks can get a trade for another 1st round pick.

That's exactly why I wanted Holliday over Jennings. Sessions can handle the offense while Holliday handles the defense. We don't need 2 offensive PG's.

I'm not sure I follow the logic that if both players are one-dimensional (or close to it), they work well as a backcourt tandem. Wouldn't they work better as offense-defense subs for one another late in a game?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm not too big on upside picks, but this isn't bad for #10, he easily could have gone a lot higher. I think this means Ridnour is on his way out...let's see if the Dallas rumors are true.

Jennings definitely gets points from me for his comments on Darko Rubio, though.

http://insider.espn.go.co...e=brandonjennings-090609

I feel much better about the Jennings pick after reading this Chad Ford article. Seems that the people who've seen him play the most in Europe, have the highest praise for his overall game and development. It's a long read, but a good one. With Skiles as his coach, this kid could become something really special for the Bucks.

I want Jennings to bring back the '90s Fresh Prince of Bel Air hair.

That aside, with what was left at 10 he seemed to be the best fit. I've seen a couple videos and he seemed more willing/able to pass the ball than Jrue Holliday (who basically in the highlight videos only drove to the hoop and tried to dunk over people 7 inches taller then him, but I digress), and playing overseas while it isn't the same caliber of talent he is playing with bigger and stronger guys than in college, so that may help ease the transition some. The Bucks really need to start from the bottom up and taking a young PG is a good first step.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I'm not crazy about the Jennings pick, but maybe it's the fact that it still bugs me that he skipped out on college to take the money in Europe for a year. I guess I'm just not confident in him staying in Milwaukee longer than he has to. Hopefully they can get something out of him before he bolts.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Dang. I was hoping Jerebko would fall to the Bucks. Looks like there really isn't that many good F's left in the draft. I'm going to say Christmas is the pick here or I am hoping that this will be the pick.

I like the Meeks pick a lot. He can really only do one thing well and that's score, but with some time and development he could be a quality player. He can shoot the 3 a bit, too.

I saw him absolutely torch Tennessee for 54 points last year, and he had a couple other games where he basically took over and controlled the game for Kentucky.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I'm not crazy about the Jennings pick, but maybe it's the fact that it still bugs me that he skipped out on college to take the money in Europe for a year. I guess I'm just not confident in him staying in Milwaukee longer than he has to. Hopefully they can get something out of him before he bolts.

If he actually ends up being good enough to bolt ASAP and not stay in Milwaukee long, its a great pick.

So Charlie V is almost certainly going to be signed, correct? Unless they plan on rotating Amir Johnson and Malik Allen...*shiver*
I'd bet on either him or Illyasova. Personally I'm hoping its Illyasova, and I have a feeling that's also the direction the Bucks are leaning.

I like the Meeks pick a lot (obviously, because I predicted it). What I like:

1) he was able to score a lot even though everyone knew he was the go-to guy at UK;

2) 1.50 points per shot, second only to Harden among SG's drafted, and fourth among all guards drafted (Lawson - 1.70, Teague - 1.57, Harden - 1.56); by comparison to other SGs: Evans - 1.25 (#4), Curry - 1.42 (#7), DeRozan - 1.32 (#9), Williams - 1.18 (#11... can you say Marcus Haislip?), Henderson - 1.29 (#12)

3) FT% - 90.4%

I really think Meeks has a chance to be another Michael Redd. He's a little shorter than Redd, but with Redd not being ready for the opener and needing a better backup SG than Charlie Bell I think it was a very good pick.

What a great draft. I was disappointed the Spurs picked Blair, I would've loved him in a Bucks uniform, but I'm very happy with the Meeks pick.

I love Jennings, I was never sure why people were so high on Holliday, the guy couldn't even average 10ppg as a starting point/2-guard in college and his assist to TO ratio was barely 1.5 (129 to 75) I don't care how good his defense is, his offensive game was terrible.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I wasn't as big on Holliday for the reason listed above. A guard in a wide open offense like UCLA should have been more productive. I wanted Lawson, but it does make me feel better that both players were picked quite a bit later. Tells me there's a consensus that Lawson won't be as great an NBA PG as I thought.

Jennings still bothers me though. A player at this level who still needs to learn the PG position troubles me. You wouldn't think you would need to teach a PG coming into the NBA how to run the offense, the nuance of playing PG, etc. Apparently the kid's jump shot is off too, and he's no defensive wizz. I understand the upside. Since all I've seen of him is a few clips last night, kinda hard to judge.

Meeks was a great pick at that point. A good defender too, believe it or not. This kid can come off the bench immediately and help with instant offense.

I don't think this draft means Charlie V is back. There are still trades to be made, free agents, etc. I just can't believe after all this salary dumping the Bucks would give a big contract to Charlie V. Doesn't add up. That would be going right back to the same mistakes this organization has made for years. Paying huge dollars to a guy who isn't a major piece of the puzzle.

Something that should but never will happen: Send Jennings to the D-League for a year. I don't know why NBA teams are so reluctant to utilize their minor league affiliates, especially when so many of these "upside" picks end up being complete failures. The Bucks should have done that with Alexander too, and though he showed some signs of improvement when he finally got minutes toward the end of the season, his development is still far behind where it should be.

Archived