Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2008 (July – Dec.)

jwill535
  • Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had no idea, when I RSVP'd to my buddy's wedding in Alabama, that it was only 17 minutes from Florida. I have never driven that far in my life.

You're driving from Wisconsin to southern Alabama? Make sure you take plenty of time (a few days) to do it or you will hate yourself later.

That piqued my interest so I just google mapped it. St Paul to Dalhart Tx (northwest side of the upper panhandle) is 957 miles. Dalhart to Brownsville TX (very southern tip at the gulf) is 863 miles. It is closer than I thought it would be, but not quite as you said. Follett TX makes it a little closer, but it is still longer from St Paul.

PS - wow I'm a geek.

Here's another one: Key West Florida is closer to Cuba than it is to Miami. True story, check it out:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/bullox/RMLdq3zQABI/AAAAAAAAAEM/Xo-_nnxUXjY/IMG_0038.JPG

157 miles from Key West to Miami.

I make the claim based on what my HS geography teacher told me... maybe it's closer on a non-highway, straight line thing. But Texas is pretty huge.

I think I might be a bigger geek than bullox. I did a Mapquest search from St. Paul to Perryton, TX and it was 872.12 miles. Perryton to Brownsville was 880.80 miles. And I made sure to search shortest distance as well. Man Texas IS huge.

While it's not quite the same thing, the distance between St. Paul and the northern tip of Texas is less than the distance between the northern tip and southern tip of Texas.

Yep. It's big down here. Try going from the eastern tip of Texas (outside of Houston) to El Paso. You can drive all day and still be in Texas. I believe, if what my wife tells me is correct (and I have no reason to doubt her, she grew up in El Paso) that the distance across Texas (east Texas to El Paso) is the same distance from El Paso to San Diego. Pretty crazy stuff. But I love this state.

You're driving from Wisconsin to southern Alabama? Make sure you take plenty of time (a few days) to do it or you will hate yourself later.

I took two days on the way down, but did the drive back in one day. 15 hours, 45 minutes. Not the worst day in my life, but hours 9-11 were brutal.

I walked into my house an hour ago to find a bat in the kitchen.
Our kitchen has smelled pretty awful the past few days so we finally moved stuff out of the corner to find yet another bat, this time a dead one. Awesome.

Long car trips have taught me that the two largest states in the union are Georgia and Connecticut. They might not look like much on maps, but the maps are lying.

Also, my brother leaves for college tomorrow. He's 750 miles away and we haven't lived in the same house for anything longer than a summer, if that, since he was 12 years old. Yet I'm kind of teary about it.

The more long distance driving you do, the faster it goes. I drive from Montana (where I live) to New Mexico (where I work) and back on average 2-3 times a month. It's a 16 hour drive one way, but mentally it seems like a 4 hour drive.

Montana is pretty big too. I've done 10 hour drives across the state before.

Before lunch today, I noticed a little thing wrong with one of our security doors. It seems like I notice stuff like this all the time, and no one else here does.

Is it really possible that I'm the only employee at my workplace with an eye for minutiae?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Having been annoyed with Andy Dick on comedy central many time I always wanted to know why he was famous enough to be on celebrity roasts and the Gong Show so I took a look. Wow dude has managed to make a very undistinguished career for himself doing nothing. He reminds me of Charles Nelson Riley who managed to be a star on Hollywood Square without anyone actually knowing what made him a star.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived