Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2008 (July – Dec.)

jwill535
  • Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this the "Official" random thoughts thread?

I always picture you as Hacksaw Jim Duggan due to your avatar. Now that I know you're a hiker, I picture Hacksaw out there hiking in the woods and trails with no shirt on hiking with his 2x4, yelling HOOOOOOO at everyone he walks by.

Random thoughts.

The other day on the road (94 east bound on my way to the Brewer game on Saturday night) I saw an SUV with an IL license that read "CRPT COP". Corrupt Cop?? What else could it be?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I drank two Mountain Dews today and it feels like my teeth are about to fall out.

Two MD's is a light day for me

Mountain Dew = Coffee for me. I am not really sure which one is actually worse for you and for your teeth. Probably neither, especially since when I do drink coffee a dump a ton of sugar in there

Ladies. When you have a big ol purse, you get your change. Is it truely necessary to sit there for 5 minutes to put all your stuff away? Simply step aside and let the next person order.

I don't know why that bugs me, but it does.

Short Netflix stock. That company is gonna go down in a heap.

I certainly hope not. Been a happy customer for a year now.

The Wire: Season 5 came out on DVD on Tuesday, and the good people at Netflix shipped me the first disc on Monday so that I would have it, in hand, on Tuesday. The little things like that go a long way.

I've been with Netflix for about 3-4 years now, and the company has gone noticeably downhill. It used to be a place you could get all the non-mainstream stuff, but their inventory of that stuff is dwindling due to DVD wear, and they aren't doing a good job of replacing that. That's my subjective take on it.

Objectively:

Discs have a relatively short time horizon for being the dominant media... much sooner than later, most things will become downloadable on fast internet connections. There will still be a niche market for people behind the internet speed curve, but it's strictly a non-growth thing. While Netflix has an on-demand viewing service, it has relatively few titles on a fairly unreliable network, and doesn't even support Macs. They have a long way to go to move the basis of their business model past disc delivery service, and I don't think they're going to do it at all. The only way they'll survive is to be absorbed, and no one will buy them at their current stock value.

Also, the shipping outage they are currently experience is their second major business stoppage in about a year. That doesn't happen to good companies.

Netflix is integrating with Xbox live pretty soon. Going to be a nice service, download movies on the fly. I might look into getting it.

And really though, you talk about a niche market and then complain that Macs aren't supported?

The Macs thing was kind of an aside, and has to do with them not being able to agree over DRM stuff. But, it's still an issue. Eliminating a customer segment is never a good thing.

Basically, Netflix is trying to shift its business from movie home delivery to serving movies on the internet. They have shown they're not terribly awesome at doing the former, which gives me little confidence they'll be able to do the latter.

The one thing that might save them simply is branding, but that might just become useful when someone buys them. "Remember those guys who used to send you stuff in the mail - now they send you stuff on the interwebs. Only it's not them, it's us."

Also, the shipping outage they are currently experience is their second major business stoppage in about a year. That doesn't happen to good companies.

Admittedly, my opinion of Netflix is based solely on my own positive experiences, and you bring up some very valid points, Toby. I'm a bit surprised because the reason I went with Netflix over Blockbuster initially was that I heard they had a larger catalog.

That said, what impressed me most about the company was how they handled the last shipping outage in March. Direct admission of a mistake on their part, and monetary reimbursement for the downtime.

http://consumerist.com/372385/netflix-gives-good-apology-to-customers-for-mondays-delays

Just from reading the comments underneath that post, I got the sense that this company strives for excellent service and truly values its customers. That's why they have my business, and it makes me more willing to overlook any hiccups as they transition to broadband delivery.

OK, I'll stop shilling now http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

This is a quote from my buddy at Monday's game. Bush had nailed National's pitcher Garritt Mock to load the bases with no outs, but got out of it with no runs. Steve says, "it must be especially gratifying to pitch out of a bases loaded situation and not give up any runs, and nail the opposing pitcher near the ******** in the process".

If Hurricane centers are never right when they estimate how many hurricanes every year why do they even bother making predictions? The last couple years they came up with excuses as to why they have been wrong. Well if you are so good at predictions why didn't you predict the events that slowed the hurricane season in the first place? Obviously their science isn't good enough at this point to accurately predict how a particular storm season will go. If climatologists can't predict a hurricane season 4 months ahead of time how can they possibly predict global warming 20 years from now? Sorry for the weather related rant, probably just because I have been reading some anti global warming stuff lately and it seems to have some good merit but it doesn't get any national attention at all.

Sorry for the weather related rant, probably just because I have been reading some anti global warming stuff lately and it seems to have some good merit but it doesn't get any national attention at all.

Don't you know that anyone who doesn't believe in the fact that the polar bears are dying, and we are killing the earth with our SUVs and gus guzzling vehicles will burn in the hell that will be created when all the truth comes to light?

To me, yes, we do need to take care of the earth, but it seems a bit hypocritical to me for politicians to tell us that we're using too much energy and the like and then fly in their private jets and have gigantic energy bills in their mansions (yes, Al Gore, I'm looking at you). Sorry for the political rant, but to me, they go hand in hand.

Patrick, I'd say that means carpet cop.
Carpet Cop? What is that? I found a carpet cop carpet cleaners in Tennesse, but nothing like that in Illinois.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I saw the Clone Wars yesterday and (surprise, surprise) it wasn't good. I only saw it because my boyfriend wanted to and it was his birthday. A Star Wars movie could be made by 5 year olds with crayons, but as long as Lucas is attached, he'll see it. So I went in with low expectations, and even though it had a few redeeming parts, it was pretty bad. My favorite parts:
Spoiler [+]
Super R2D2. I never knew he could fly from a planet to a spaceship. I also never knew that Anakin had a padawon. The film ends abruptly, and there she was standing next to Ani in the closing shot. I was waiting all film for her to get killed off. Yes, she was annoying, but mostly because it wouldn't make sense if she lived. So I guess Lucas is planning a Clone Wars 2? But my favorite part was when we see Jaba's son. The plot revolves around the Jedis searching for him. What would you expect him to look like? Well it was a baby. A baby blob, with 'wah-wahs' and all. The padawon even said "aw, so cute." I then turned to my boyfriend and started laughing. He rolled his eyes and said "Lucas does it for the kids." Just then the kid behind us says "This movie is so funny." Oh, and the animation was baad. Obi-wan looked like he suffered some sort of facial trauma.

There were some people handing out some global warming brochures at my apartment complex this past weekend. I agreed to take one just to get them off of my back and I thought that was the end of it. After I took it they said they would be back next week to talk about it. I close the door and open the brochure only to find that they were Jehova's Witness'. They should have told me that in the first place!!! I am not sure if I will either A. Just ignore them the next time they come or B. Just go to the door and say I am not interested. I am scared of answering the door because I really don't want them trying to persuade me to believe something I have very strong feeling against. I am sure they are nice people and all but if they would have told me who they really were in the first place I would have flat out said that I wasn't interested. They certainly didn't look like JW's.

Archived