Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun exonerated, no suspension… Latest: MLB drops Eliezer Alfonzo suspension; case similar to Braun's (part 2)

FriarHouketh
  • Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the whole decision will be leaked soon. I'd assume MLB will leak it if they feel as strongly in private as they do publicly.

I think MLB is the one party in all this that wouldn't want to leak the decision - regardless of what's in it, the decision will make either the testing protocol or appeals protocol of the JDA that MLB has been advertising as "the gold standard" for professional sports drug testing look bad.

Either Braun is the victim of a poorly constructed testing protocol, or Braun's defense found a gaping loophole in the JDA to overturn his suspension.

If they are certain he was using, I think they should leak it to demonstrate that they caught him and he got off because of an incompetent courier. That fact alone would overshadow any problems with the actual program when it comes to media coverage, and I would think that would be their goal. It's not like they really care about catching guys, it's about looking like they do.

At least Braun is yesterday's news now. There is a brand new scandal to report on and that one is much worse than Braun "beating the system." Things have already died down quite a bit; I am sure when games start it will pick up again though

While not baseball related the Saints Bountygate seems to be the new controversy do jour. Rewarding players for causing injury to other players is a little bit more serious than PeeGate

I am stunned that a guy who nicknamed himself "Dr. Heat" Is behind this bounty system. Just stunned.

I didn't even read the article, but I had to laugh when I saw the headline on ESPN.com: "Braun collector thorough, a pro, Cubs say."

http://i.imgur.com/zi5Kw.gif

I wonder if he'll be collecting samples this year at Miller Park - my gut tells me the Brewers may request someone else. I'm guessing this "article" wasn't based off Cub players stating that they'd love to have Laurenzi take their samples home for the weekend before shipping them out, too.

Now let's tell the Cubs players that their samples will be stored in someone's basement for more than two days and ask them if they would be willing to waive their right of appeal if something is found. I'm sure they'd be happy to do it.

By the way, the Washington Post is reporting that Williams had the Redskins going for bounties when he was defensive coordinator there. Joe Gibbs claims he doesn't know anything about it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

pebadger,

I realize this is asking a lot but if you have the time I'd appreciate you writing an article on this topic.You seem to have a definite point of view and can back it up with facts. I'd be fascinated to read something. Maybe it gets bounced around the internet and others can learn what we have. At the very least, we can replace the Shea Vucinich article that's been on the front page since June of 2010.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

A new post from Tom H regarding MLB's response to confidentiality questions.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/141358073.html

It's nothing unexpected. This is just part of MLB's PR play on the situation - they need to make the case that the leak was isolated and the best way for them to do so is to effectively say "Hey, it wasn't us, this is Braun's problem. He can do what he wants about it." You can choose whether to take their word for it or not.

Tom continues to say, pretty definitively, that the leak "came from someone whom the Braun defense team talked to in preparing their case," which is an implication that MLB was out of the picture, but it's impossible to say for sure.

Apparently, MLB and the Union won't be making the written decision public. What garbage!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-kenney-baden/ryan-braun-steroids_b_1322389.html

Not really a surprise or even news. I'm pretty sure it was announced immediately that it wouldn't be made public.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

It will be leaked. That's what happens in this information age.

Also, I keep giggling every time the word "leak" is used in conjunction with a urine test.

You should have read the ESPN article, you have Reed Johnson talking urine tests

Apparently, MLB and the Union won't be making the written decision public. What garbage!

The article says they have to "agree" to make the decision public and they are not in agreement. MLB can't say "yes" and it happens, MLBPA can't say "yes" and it happens, they both have to say "yes" for it to happen. All we know is that they both are not saying "yes" at this point. Given the statements by both so far it's likely MLB is balking at releasing the written report as it is damning of their collection instructions.

It could be either. It could be something that really shows Braun is innocent and he wants to release it but MLB wants to stand by the testing and throw Braun under the bus (as they already have). Or it could be that he did get off entirely based on the handling of his sample and maybe Braun doesn't want that out there. People think it, but many still think there is more we don't know either and maybe he wants to keep it that way.

In either case, I think at some point some of it will be released.

Archived