Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension (Part 2)

Baldkin
Getting a little tired of TMJ4 (Channel in Milwaukee for those of you not living in the area) and how they tease about Braun stories.

Well, that's what the do all the time..."tonight at 10, really important stuff that you want to know about". We could just tell you all about it in these 30 seconds, but we won't...

Why would anyone bother watching TV news these days? I mean I can understand if you are 85 years old or something or if it is on as sort of background noise in the morning, but does anyone actually still sit down and watch these shows for 30 minutes at 9 or 10 pm?

I think it is channel 58 that advertises that you will get to see the weather right away, if you watch their 10 o'clock (or maybe it's on at 9) news show. Uh, yeah, or I can turn on channel 4-2 or one of the PBS channels or look on line and get the weather right now.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reminds me of one of those comedy shows or maybe it was a comedy movie. The quick news commercial previewing the nightly news had the newscaster saying "The Presdient died today....but President of what? We'll tell ya tonight at ten."

From the Simpsons:

I'm Kent Brockman, on the eleven o'clock news tonight...a certain type of soft drink has been found to be lethal, we won't tell you which one until after sports and the weather with Sonny Storm

Robin19 wrote:

Speedbusters is not news. "My dog got hit by a car". "The police should spend all of their time on this road to monitor speed limits because this is the only road in Milwaukee where people speed". "This is the worst problem going on right now". I know speeding is a problem, but they act like they are finding the only spots where speeding happens.

Especially when most of the speeding involves going 33 in a 25.

jeffyscott[/b]]
Patrick425[/b]]Getting a little tired of TMJ4 (Channel in Milwaukee for those of you not living in the area) and how they tease about Braun stories.

Well, that's what the do all the time..."tonight at 10, really important stuff that you want to know about". We could just tell you all about it in these 30 seconds, but we won't...

Why would anyone bother watching TV news these days? I mean I can understand if you are 85 years old or something or if it is on as sort of background noise in the morning, but does anyone actually still sit down and watch these shows for 30 minutes at 9 or 10 pm?

I think it is channel 58 that advertises that you will get to see the weather right away, if you watch their 10 o'clock (or maybe it's on at 9) news show. Uh, yeah, or I can turn on channel 4-2 or one of the PBS channels or look on line and get the weather right now.

Well, I understand what you are saying, but I do turn on the local news the first thing when I get up (around 6am) and watch it while I'm eating breakfast. Mostly because turning on the TV is often just easier than opening my laptop and logging on to my PC and opening a browser and then searching around different sites for the news I'm looking for....traffic, weather, some global tragedy that happened while I was sleeping, etc. Also, what news web site is not already linked to a TV news station (other than maybe a sight that might be slightly slanted like "The Drudge Report")? So, what's the difference. Sometimes I want to know who's been booked to play at Summerfest or about the 8 car pile up that just happened on 94 eastbound. I think it's a bit "snobbish" to just categorize all local TV news as useless. It's just easier to turn on the TV. I know I'm not getting some in depth analysis of from Channel 4 about the budget debate in Washington, but I'm not really looking for or expecting that. If I want to find more, I'll do more research on the issue online.

Also, I'm a slight weather nerd. I hate it when I hear people say "I thought it was supposed to rain today...those weather guys don't know anything". Usually they either A) Looked at a picture of a cloud with rain coming from it on the 5 day forecast on the Internet or B) Didn't really watch the forecast that closely. If they did they could have seen the movement of the system and perhaps heard the weatherman say "There will be some isolated hit and miss showers in the afternoon". That doesn't mean that it's going to rain all day or at all.

I know several people (some I work with) that don't follow any news at all. They are completely clueless about things outside of their own immediate world.

Anyways, sorry for getting this thread off on a complete tangent. Didn't mean to turn this into a debate about the merits of the local TV newscast. I feel like we are all sitting in a court room waiting for the Jury to return with a verdict and we have moved on to other topics to talk about to bide our time.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Well, this thread has officially taken a turn for the worst, which is saying a lot.

Is this really worse than discussions and speculations about Herpes and Grave's disease?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

BREWCREW5 wrote:

Well, this thread has officially taken a turn for the worst, which is saying a lot.

Well you're certainly doing all you can to make it better.I said I was sorry for taking it off on a tangent. Sometime conversations go off on tangents. I didn't know that was such a big crime. From now on, no one should post anything unless is contains the word "Braun" or "PED" otherwise.."No posts for you!"

I'm not saying you did anything wrong Patrick. This is like the second time BREWCREW5 has complained about what was being discussed in a thread. If he wants to change the topic than post something or just ignore it. Don't complain about the topic being discussed.

Is this really worse than discussions and speculations about Herpes and Grave's disease?

I meditated for awhile and channeled Howard Cosell and asked him this question and he replied "in the estimation of this esteemed prognosticator and pontificater, I would have to reply in the negative to that, however it remains to be seen just how far that thread could go, and my opinions could be somewhat distorted by my long departure from that earthly plane. I will say this, that Ryan Braun is a helluva ballplayer, he reminds one of a certain Joe DiMaggio of years gone by, with perhaps less glove and less appeal to the women of the species but that same sweet stroke that captures the imagination of baseball lovers young & old."

Well, there's plenty of room in the what's bugging you thread for continued posts about TV news.

Apologies if this has already been posted in this mega-thread of many tangents, but at least it's actually related to the Braun situation, and doesn't appear to start new rumors. Will Carroll's pondering (link while active; text follows)

One possibility I heard from a very credible source today was that

there’s a new possibility for Ryan Braun. Forget all the talk about

“false positives” and “medications”; I’ve gone over why those defenses

probably aren’t winners before. This new possibility is focused on the

second test. Remember, Braun had an independent testing agency test him

according to MLB procedures soon after he was informed of his positive

result. There’s issues with this due to the time gap between the

“positive” and the “negative.”

The other issue is that in the MLB test, Braun is said to have shown

exogenous testosterone in his system. If his people are arguing that the

ratio in his A sample* was faulty, then they have to then argue that

the B sample should never have been tested and is therefore “fruit of

the poisonous tree.” I’m not sure that’s a winner.

* Let’s be clear here: There are THREE tests we’re talking about:

A Sample: First MLB test, T/E ratio showing exceptionally high ratio

B Sample: Second MLB test, GC-IRMS test showing exogenous testosterone

(Both the A and B sample were collected at same time, from same “donation.”)

Second Test: Independent test, T/E ratio below 4:1

The new possibility is that Braun and MLB could agree to set

aside the adverse analytical finding due to question about the testing

procedure in return for Braun being placed in the accelerated testing

program. That program allows for significantly more random

tests, both in and out of competition. In at least one case, MLB has

done something similar, though the previous case was challenged on chain

of custody, not accuracy of testing. Assuming Braun remains negative

for a period of time (likely a full year), the adverse result would be

set aside. Think of it as drug testing probation.

On one hand, MLB would be setting itself up with a bad precedent.

Anyone could challenge testing, hoping to get leniency. It could be seen

as a weakening of penalties (though there’s been remarkably little

outcry over Manny Ramirez’s reduction). On the other hand, it could be a

chance to shine a little light on the program. If Braun truly wants

public exoneration, he should make public the dates of his tests. He

could simply tell the beat writers each time the tester shows up. “Peed

in a cup today!” he could tell Tom Haudricourt. Seeing the process more

clearly would help Braun and MLB get past this.

I’m torn on my response to this and I’m sure MLB would be as well. If

they do pursue this type of agreement, they need to increase

transparency as to not set back the gains of the drug testing program.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I meditated for awhile and channeled Howard Cosell and asked him this question and he replied "in the estimation of this esteemed prognosticator and pontificater, I would have to reply in the negative to that, however it remains to be seen just how far that thread could go, and my opinions could be somewhat distorted by my long departure from that earthly plane. I will say this, that Ryan Braun is a helluva ballplayer, he reminds one of a certain Joe DiMaggio of years gone by, with perhaps less glove and less appeal to the women of the species but that same sweet stroke that captures the imagination of baseball lovers young & old."

Less appeal to the women of the species? That does not appear to be true.

Hey, so far Joe D hands-down wins that comparison -- Marilyn Monroe. Totally agree on your assessment of their respective LARP (looks abv. replacement), but apparently Joe D was more clutch in the ladykilling dept. than Braun has been to this point.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Thanks for the link, Hawing.

I tend to doubt that this case gets settled via some sort of compromise, but again it's hard to come to really solid conclusions without knowing more of the solid facts. The biggest problem for MLB is that the whole thing got leaked. My belief is that they simply don't want to look weak in any way and the leak practically forces their hand in this matter. They're in a "must win" situation.

I agree with Carroll that transparency is a major issue here, but I disagree with his conclusion. I guess I'm too cynical to think that MLB will ever want MORE transparency with respect to the process. As such, any resolution of any dispute that tends to demand more transparency in the process will be disfavored for exactly that reason. I would love if the entire process were much more transparent. I believe transparency would provide significant benefits to all stakeholders: players, clubs, MLB, fans and the scientific community involved in the process. Players would expose themselves to more immediate public scrutiny when accused, but those who have reasonable defenses to accusations of doping would also be much better served than they are now. Increased transparency would provide an opportunity for increased understanding. Increased understanding of the process would provide an opportunity to improve the process in a number of ways. I guess I'm also too cynical to think that that kind of improvement is something that all the stakeholders really want, especially when the system they have in place now satisfies their objectives.

I have no idea who Terez Owens is but I would be happy if his inside source is correct

I also hope that a guy I've never heard of citing a vague, one-line quote from an anonymous source via a very amateur looking website is legit

edit: his recent reports ("breaking sports gossip" -his words) made me laugh

-Deron Williams and Dwight Howard have dinner together
-Michael Jordan gets engaged
-Kris Humphries dating Kim K's rival
-a sideline reporter wears a bikini
-a song about Tim Tebow
-Wes Welker wears pajamas and has a girlfriend
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Archived