Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension… (Part 3, Appeal underway)

RyDogg66

If that's the case rockco, would be better to release Sunday or Saturday.

That may be true, but on Monday, every sports talking head in the world will be breaking down the Super Bowl on talk radio, those dumb sportswriter shows on ESPN,etc. Didn't the 'leak' come out a few hours before the Heisman selection?

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding was that if this resulted in a suspension, then MLB would make that announcement (wouldn't they have to - just like when anyone gets suspended?) and if there is no suspension they just inform Braun (who would, in turn, likely make a statement)

That's what I should have said. If there's a suspension, there'd definitely be an announcement.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not sure how much courtesy there is among professional sports, but generally its a faux pas to announce news that would distract from some of the bigger events of the year. I know within the NFL, teams won't announce signings or new coaches this week. Not sure if its an unspoken rule or not between the MLB and NFL. (Anyone have a copy of the unwritten rule book that I can read? I left my last copy in St. Louis).

But as others have said, if there was no suspension and Braun was informed, it would come out immediately. Super Bowl or not.

(Anyone have a copy of the unwritten rule book that I can read? I left my last copy in St. Louis).

You could try contacting Mike Quade.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Tom Haudricourt said something about this yesterday: It would not surprise me if this week also goes by without decision on Ryan Braun. I am told it is a very thorough, process-oriented system.

So yeah, I could see it going well into the later part of this month right now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm expecting we will have to wait until the last minute to hear a decision on this. If I understand correctly the last minute would be sometime on February 14, which is 25 days from the date of the hearing (Jan 19-20).

Also, as someone stated in an earlier post, the 25 day period is not a hard and fast rule. They try to come to a decision within 25 days, but depending on the situation, it could take longer.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

If he is suspended, would he still be able to play with the team through Spring Training?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I believe he can be at Spring Training as well. I remember a few years ago when Mike Cameron had that 25 game suspension, he still played in spring training and even played in a pre-season game at Miller Park right before the start of the season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm expecting we will have to wait until the last minute to hear a decision on this. If I understand correctly the last minute would be sometime on February 14, which is 25 days from the date of the hearing (Jan 19-20).

Also, as someone stated in an earlier post, the 25 day period is not a hard and fast rule. They try to come to a decision within 25 days, but depending on the situation, it could take longer.

Whoops, I must have overlooked one of the first 58 pages or 1,159 posts on this thread. That figures. This process has been so long and drawn out. I no longer think it will be resolved by Valentine's. We may have to wait until March. I wish I could get my mind off baseball in the offseason.

This thread has the most views of any thread on this site. I'm guessing it's due to people like me who constantly check it in hopes someone just came across a tweet with news on the decision. I just want to know but hopefully the amount of time it is taking is a good thing.

I'm encouraged by the length of time it has taken to get a verdict. In court cases, the longer the jury deliberates, the better chances of the accused being exonerated. This isn't exactly the same thing as a criminal case, but it has similar elements.

I keep thinking that as well, I'm just not sure if it's the same or not. It could just be that this is a longer process than a criminal verdict or that it takes time to submit their final written arguments and whatnot. Nobody really knows as this process has never been this public before.

Unfortunately, I have the feeling that the wait is just window dressing for MLB. They can then say that the player got due process, and they deliberated for a long time. In the end, I just don't think there is much chance of exoneration. Hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, I have the feeling that the wait is just window dressing for MLB. They can then say that the player got due process, and they deliberated for a long time. In the end, I just don't think there is much chance of exoneration. Hope I'm wrong.

I don't buy this. As soon as a decision is made, we should hear something. I would assume both sides would have to be notified of the final decision. Even if Braun is suspended, I would think that he would want to explain his side of the story to the public ASAP.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I agree, I don't think a decision has been made at this point. The arbitrator is neutral, so he probably could care less what MLB wants. I assume when he decides, both parties will be notified. Once they are both notified, there would be no point in keeping it a secret. Even if they tried, someone would almost certainly leak it.

I think if he's suspended, MLB will come out that day and announce it and Braun will likely have a press conference or a statement to defend himself and tell his side. If he's found not guilty, MLB will say nothing but Braun would almost certainly tell the world immediately.

If Braun is cleared i don't expect MLB to make any announcement. they will simply notify Braun and he/his people will call a press conference. the last thing MLB wants to do is to officially address an issue that is just a rumor. The best way to stop leaks like this in the future is for MLB to neveraddress them directly.

I imagine the panel has to provide some kind of written decision for the parties. If that's right, the time lapse just represents the time it takes the arbitrators to deliberate and write. They would need to provide thorough support for a decision either way, which means the time lapse doesn't tell us anything about which way the case will come out.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I probably check it 4-5 times a day, just in case someone has breaking news or something. I think we all just want a resolution at this point - hopefully a good one.

Yeah, I do practically the same thing, but I've pretty much given up hope that we'll get any real news before the last 24 hours or so of the deadline

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

the thing that bugs me the most about this whole thing is that the Brewers play in Arizona at the end of May and we're heading down to celebrate school getting out (our last day is the day before the series starts.) Of course, that would be games #45-48 of the suspension, if it occurs. Grrrrrrrrrr.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived