Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension… (Part 3, Appeal underway)

RyDogg66

The number of arbitrators is set as it is because the system is not especially interested in extended wrangling. The international system is set up to streamline "convictions" while maintaining an facade of impartiality. At the international level, from where this system is adopted, the idea that the 3rd arbitrator is neutral is nothing more than a smoke screen. I don't have a lot of citations for you, but there are numerous articles out there highlighting how the system is set up to slant the panel against the athlete in drug cases. One of them was written by a Wisconsin district court judge who took great interest in and observed the public Floyd Landis hearing a few years back (one of the rare opportunities we've been provided to see how this stuff really works).

How it works with respect to MLB we don't know, and that's pretty much how they want it. Nice that there is so much transparency in the system, right?

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be so happy - one way or the other - when this is resolved. It is a focus that is taking too much time and effort.

And I cannot get out of my mind the picture of the Crew battling with St Louis, and some MLB guy coming up to not one, but THREE, of our guys and saying: 'by the way, there is something wrong with your tests... but not to worry, just put it out of your mind - and good luck with the rest of the playoffs.'

And I cannot get out of my mind the picture of the Crew battling with St Louis, and some MLB guy coming up to not one, but THREE, of our guys and saying: 'by the way, there is something wrong with your tests... but not to worry, just put it out of your mind - and good luck with the rest of the playoffs.'

ABSOLUTELY. haven't seen the timing of this mentioned much. seeing as how we are almost in february, the timing is [expletive deleted]. they couldn't wait a week or two? talk about effecting performance. jeez.

ABSOLUTELY. haven't seen the timing of this mentioned much. seeing as how we are almost in february, the timing is [expletive deleted]. they couldn't wait a week or two? talk about effecting performance. jeez.
I brought this up as a very probable reason for Braun's struggles in the St. Louis series. He started hot but was lost by the end. His head looked elsewhere and this would explain. Now it could be that he was devastated he got caught or it could be he was worried because he knew he was innocent but was smart enough to know how hard the test is to beat. I am not blaming MLB for telling him or anything like that just saying it stinks

I brought this up as a very probable reason for Braun's struggles in the St. Louis series. He started hot but was lost by the end. His head looked elsewhere and this would explain. Now it could be that he was devastated he got caught or it could be he was worried because he knew he was innocent but was smart enough to know how hard the test is to beat. I am not blaming MLB for telling him or anything like that just saying it stinks

It's tough to monitor all 57 pages of this thread http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/wink.gif

Didn't they say he found out a week after the STL series? I thought they made that pretty clear.
I never read that but maybe. What I have heard is that he tested positive during the Arizona series and when he was told about it a week later he took another test. I had thought that second test (that he passed but seems to have no real influence since drugs could have easily left his system) was taken about a week after he failed the test. I did also read he was notified about the failed test in late October but I am not sure if that meant he was notified that passing the second one did not clear him.

How can these drugs that create synthetic T be so useful if the synthetic T is out of your system in a short period of time.
The drugs aren't creating synthetic testosterone, the drugs are synthetic testosterone. It's been well documented in clinical trials that synthetic testosterone helps to build lean muscle mass. One of the main uses of prescribed testosterone is for people who are experiencing disease related wasting syndrome. For people who need a prescription for testosterone, the frequency of dosing depends on the dosage form and salt form of the testosterone. This ranges from every day application with the gel, every 2-4 weeks with intramuscular injections or up to every 6 months with a pellet implant. The bottom line is that the measurable metabolite of synthetic testosterone is present in the body for as long as 2 weeks.

In theory baseball players can use testosterone during the entire off season without fear of being tested, building lean muscle mass the entire time. In theory they may even continue using testosterone during the season as long as they continue to make sure their T/E ratios do not get inflated. They would really have no reason to worry about metabolite elimination half-lives as long as they make sure that they can pass the first test.

Testosterone has the potential to provide a big boost to the players and in my opinion they would be remiss to not at least consider the potential positive benefits from using something like testosterone and the very least HGH with baseball's lax testing policies. I hope that Braun is proven not guilty.

Can someone please repost the link where it is mentioned that 2 other Brewer players also tested positive?

Here is the one that talks about the two other players whose numbers were also "higher than normal" and "a little out of whack"

Summarizing the different clips from Dan Patrick we get this
- 2 other guys had odd results
- not medical
- not a masking agent
- not a PED
- The appeal seems focused on the testing process
- Source is part of the case - who knows if that means he is part of Braun's team or no

Schlitz here is the link. It says two others had odd results

Assuming baseball doesn't leak this stuff as normal procedure we wouldn't know whether anyone ever successfully defended against a failed test in the majors because we would have never heard about it. Not sure why people keep pointing to that as the reason he can't get cleared.

Assuming baseball doesn't leak this stuff as normal procedure we wouldn't know whether anyone ever successfully defended against a failed test in the majors because we would have never heard about it. Not sure why people keep pointing to that as the reason he can't get cleared.
Plus the fact that Jimmy Rollins (IIRC) alluded to the fact that some players have in fact been cleared. I would think an actual MLB player would no more than certain sports writers.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm surprised we haven't heard almost anything on this other than the Patrick segment last week and a few people saying it would be weeks before a decision is made. I guess I thought that some other people might have some sources or behind the scenes info that they could find or pry out of someone. Maybe it's that MLB is really putting the clamps down since this was leaked in the first place, but I thought we'd hear more by now. Maybe I'm just getting anxious as I want to know, and even though it's probably not true, to me, every day that goes by it seems more and more likely that he really could be found not guilty in this thing.

MLB and everyone involved has been extremely tight lipped. I think it might give credence to some of the rumors that have been alluded to earlier.

I still think he'll "get off", somehow. It seems like if he were going to be suspended, we would have heard by now, since it should be relatively cut and dry.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Probably because it's all in the hands of the single independent arbitrator. If that person doesn't talk, nobody has any information to pass. With the drug testing, there were tens of people who could have leaked it.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I think the wait simply means that they were at least able to put together a case that was worthy of some consideration. Perhaps everyone in the chain of custody must be interviewed now? Like said above, at least the time should show that it wasn't a frivilous appeal.

I don't know that it's necessarily MLB's to announce? I mean, it's on the arbitrator right now, isn't it? I would think Braun and MLB would be first to know and I think both parties would want it over with at this point. If Braun finds out he's innocent, he's going to say something immediately I would think. I guess it's possible that MLB is waiting to announce the suspension.

I don't think that MLB or an arbitrator will announce anything at all. As far as public consumption goes, this hearing wouldn't have existed.

My best guess is that the press will probably have something to say based on what it hears from "sources." Along with that, Braun will probably feel compelled to issue some kind of public statement.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

My understanding was that if this resulted in a suspension, then MLB would make that announcement (wouldn't they have to - just like when anyone gets suspended?) and if there is no suspension they just inform Braun (who would, in turn, likely make a statement)

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I agree Patrick. If MLB "wins", they'll announce a suspension, just like every other time. If Braun wins, MLB will say nothing (unless they have to defend the testing or want to make a positive spin on the system or something), but Braun would almost certainly come out and make a statement. In both cases though, I'm sure the verdict will be leaked long before a statement is released by either side.

Agreed, brwrsfn. MLB would want to say as little as possible about this if the suspension is overturned/not upheld. And since Braun's reputation is at stake in such a big way, I'd expect him &/or his camp to be crowing as loudly as they could about a possible dismissal of his suspension.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived