Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension… (Part 3, Appeal underway)

RyDogg66
  • Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, there hasn't been anything to report.

When has that stopped them? I'm surprised there hasn't been a Coors Light 6 pack of questions done every hour about the latest Braun situation. Or a nightly 2 hour special called "The Decision" where Skip Bayless and Steven A. Smith yell at each other about the latest non-news.

If it were a Red Sox or Yankee player, that would be happening.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Well, there hasn't been anything to report.

When has that stopped them? I'm surprised there hasn't been a Coors Light 6 pack of questions done every hour about the latest Braun situation. Or a nightly 2 hour special called "The Decision" where Skip Bayless and Steven A. Smith yell at each other about the latest non-news.

If it were a Red Sox or Yankee player, that would be happening.

JEREMY LIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad ESPN is basically ignoring it. When they do talk about it, it just upsets me because all of them have already basically decided that Braun will be suspended. Many of htem had said things to that effect, not "if" he gets suspended but basically that he already is. They also had writers saying he should give his MVP award back and whatnot. None of which is appropriate until after the verdict has been rendered.

Come on guys, Jeremy Lin is just that good. The Big O had nothing on him. ESPN would not constantly milk an easy 'flavor of the month' type story unless there was some real substance to it.

Good thing that the ASG is on TNT. If it was on ABC/ESPN, they'd really be making a full court press to get him named to the team (as well as every All-Star event).

Back on topic, I've got to think that we are going to hear something today or tomorrow.

The realist in me tells me that that would imply a guilty verdict because I have to imagine Braun's team would let it be known he is innocent as soon as they found out.

If he's found innocent, the way that he comes out with this news could have huge implications on his relationship with MLB as a whole from this point forward. Personally, I would completely throw them under the bus, but that's me, and I'm not the one that has to live with that decision. If this was handled with the proper confidentiality, we would have never even known about any of this, and it might come up in an autobiography after he retires. He has to be very careful (if found innocent) to balance his vengence with at least some respect for his employer, so I wouldn't assume that he would come out with an announcement that quickly.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

The way that Braun handles himself and is almost always thinking about his image and his future plans, I can't imagine him being anything but classy about this if he is in fact found to be innocent. He might take a subtle jab or something, or be upset about the leak (which he has a right to be), but ultimately I think he'll just make a statement. He might let people know the situation as to what led to the test, but I think he'll be respectful and more or less appluad the process as it worked as it was supposed to - he didn't do anything wrong and was found innocent.

Personally, I would blast them too, but I don't see him doing that. None of this will matter if he's found guilty though. The more time that goes by, I'm really starting to wonder what the deal is. If it's true that MLB can't say anything about it legally if he is not guilty, I guess it's possible Braun knows and just hasn't said anything yet and is waiting to come to camp? That seems very strange though, if I were him, and I had the result of not guilty, I'd let the world know ASAP.

Back on topic, I've got to think that we are going to hear something today or tomorrow.

I'd be pretty upset as a Brewer fan if a decision is not announced by the end of the day tomorrow. If not I believe that this will begin to become a big distraction in the Brewers camp especially with Braun arriving at camp tomorrow.

If I had to make a bet on this, I would bet that the decision has already been made and I'm guessing that the announcment will be coordinated with Braun's arrival tomorrow. I expect a press conference to be announced sometime tomorrow morning. Some have said that it won't happen that way and that it will just be a press release by MLB and/or a statement released to the press by Braun. However, I don't think you can compare this situation to suspension decisions in the past. There was a leak here and it seems possible that there are other unusual circumstances involved in this case. I'm guessing that a large part of the delay in announcing the decision is due in part to MLB and Braun's people working out how the decision will be announced and what information will be disclosed. This is purely a hunch on my part.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'm not trying to throw out any test results. I'm just assuming, for sake of argument the following, which seem to have at least not been outright refuted by the leaks/info we do have:

1) Braun tested positive for something.

2) That something was not a steroid.

3) That something was not a masking agent.

Sorry, pebadger that this is from a few pages back, but I think you've made too many presumptions about what "the facts" in this case are anymore. I don't agree with numbers 2. and 3. on your list because I don't think either of those things have been confirmed by MLB or Braun's people. Braun has never said that it wasn't a steroid and he never said that it wasn't a masking agent. In fact, Braun's people only indirectly confirmed that he tested positive for something. All 70 pages of this thread are pure speculation all based on 2nd or 3rd party rumors. I'm not saying it's not fun to speculate, but you can't use speculation as a concrete defense in an argument (friendly discussion) with someone. Hopefully that dosen't come off hyperbolic.

Sorry for the double post.

I'm not sure they're facts, either. I explicitly said they were assumptions and then premised what I was saying based on IF (with emphasis) those were true. In any event, the point of that post wasn't to presume facts, it was to emphasize what I believe to be the arbitration panel's most important duty in this case other than than making best efforts at finding "truth": a thorough, supportable justification for their decision. I also think that if were I in the position of arbitrator and given the probable impact of the decision if Braun (or any player) were to be suspended, the standard of being "reasonably comfortable" with my decision would tend to require more from MLB in the way of "proof" than it might for others who would gladly shift the burden of proving a negative onto the player with a minimal showing.

I think the actual legal standard at play is a little more nuanced, in that once MLB makes a minimal showing of proof they have a legal presumption on their side, which can then be rebutted only by a strong showing from the defense, which then in turn shifts the burden back onto MLB to show that their evidence is sufficient to "convict" even under a stronger standard of proof.

I just want the thing to be over with, and hopefully those of us who want to dig into this a little more will have access to some of the facts/data at some point.

Not sure how reliable but just saw this on twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/BeastModeBelt/status/172783597902774273

He has three followers. He clearly joined Twitter just to post that nonsense.

Edit: or maybe not - I guess he has posts that go back further. I'm just sayin, few posts, not active, jumps on just to say that? I'll wait for official sources.

If this guy is able to get this information, I would assume that some "credible" member of the media would also be able to get this and it would be all over the internet by now.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

karl ravech ‏ @karlravechespn

Every indication is that 50 games suspension will stand. No appeal has ever been successful

It is this type of reporting that makes me long for the days when news wasn't reported with at least a small source of credibility. To simply report that the suspension will stand only because no appeal has ever been successful is yet another example of how lousy journalism is today.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well at least we'll know and can get on with our lives. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. More interested in the details behind everything than the outcome itself.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

karl ravech ‏ @karlravechespn

Every indication is that 50 games suspension will stand. No appeal has ever been successful

It is this type of reporting that makes me long for the days when news wasn't reported with at least a small source of credibility. To simply report that the suspension will stand only because no appeal has ever been successful is yet another example of how lousy journalism is today.

Well, he possibly already knows the outcome, but has been "warned" by MLB not to say anything and this is his way of looking "smart" when the announce is made.

Archived