Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension… (Part 3, Appeal underway)

RyDogg66

We don't know that MLB's process is being reviewed. We know (or think we know) that Braun tested positive for something, is facing suspension and is appealing those findings. Him. Directly. The guy that by all accounts can't wait to address this.

If there's some kind of rule in place that says "the news isn't Braun's to announce" I'd like some kind of confirmation regarding that rule. Otherwise I just don't understand why you seem to think that you get to decide what Braun can and cannot say or do.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Braun gets off, he has the option to announce (which he obviously would to clear his name) but Major League Baseball would be contractually obligated according to the CBA to stay quiet.

Well if that's true, then looks like I need to apologize for being Mr. Know-it-all, and ... *shudder* ... read the new CBA.

So do I understand this correctly -- that, even though there was a leak from within MLB that made this case public knowledge, the reason MLB would be obligated to remain silent is that the entire process is supposed to be secret? In other words, even though the cat's out of the bag, MLB has to finish this out as though there had been no leak in the first place?

We don't know that MLB's process is being reviewed. We know (or think we know) that Braun tested positive for something, is facing suspension and is appealing those findings.

I meant that this is MLB's program, not Ryan Braun's... and obviously I thought whatever decision reached by MLB's program/process would be the league's news to announce, one way or the other.

Also, I need to go back to not posting in this thread at all. I was eating far less foot & crow that way.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

CBA or not, MLB would look really bad if Braun was acquitted and they stayed silent. It would potentially give Braun the option to slander MLB and it's drug testing poilicy without response or consequence from MLB. Or likely just as damaging to MLB drug testing reputation he could stay completely silent. It just wouldn't make sense for MLB not to comment on the situation that is already very public.

I'm not trying to throw out any test results. I'm just assuming, for sake of argument the following, which seem to have at least not been outright refuted by the leaks/info we do have:

1) Braun tested positive for something.

2) That something was not a steroid.

3) That something was not a masking agent.

Sorry, pebadger that this is from a few pages back, but I think you've made too many presumptions about what "the facts" in this case are anymore. I don't agree with numbers 2. and 3. on your list because I don't think either of those things have been confirmed by MLB or Braun's people. Braun has never said that it wasn't a steroid and he never said that it wasn't a masking agent. In fact, Braun's people only indirectly confirmed that he tested positive for something. All 70 pages of this thread are pure speculation all based on 2nd or 3rd party rumors. I'm not saying it's not fun to speculate, but you can't use speculation as a concrete defense in an argument (friendly discussion) with someone. Hopefully that dosen't come off hyperbolic.

Sorry for the double post.

I think it was discussed somewhere in the previous 70+ pages that MLB doesn't have to (and possibly contractually obligated not to?) say anything if Braun is innocent, since this never should have leaked in the first place. However, I believe there was some kind of provision that said that if somebody chooses to speak out about a result (i.e. Braun announcing he was innocent), that MLB could then address the situation.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

CBA or not, MLB would look really bad if Braun was acquitted and they stayed silent. It would potentially give Braun the option to slander MLB and it's drug testing poilicy without response or consequence from MLB. Or likely just as damaging to MLB drug testing reputation he could stay completely silent. It just wouldn't make sense for MLB not to comment on the situation that is already very public.

MLB can't be slandered. Only individuals can be slandered which if he's not suspended and info was leaked implying he would, would give Braun a case that he's the one slandered. I know we live in an age where individual rights have often been trampled for "the greater good", but that's not the principle on which the country was founded.

It's been clearly stated that if the news is negative that MLB can and would announce it. Now, they may give Braun a chance to come out with it given some special circumstance. If Braun gets off, he has the option to announce (which he obviously would to clear his name) but Major League Baseball would be contractually obligated according to the CBA to stay quiet.

This, coupled with MLB network sending their people to Maryvale, gives me great hope.

My guess is they either know they're going to end up with egg on their faces, or MLB told them to keep quiet.

Like most "news" networks, they're all about ratings. I'd guess they found out that spending 23 hours a day discussing Jeremy Lin gets better ratings than saying there is no news on Braun.

coupled with MLB network sending their people to Maryvale

Matt Vasgersian (?-sp) did a piece on the Brewers regarding Braun last night on MLB Network. Nothing big in the piece other than players saying there was no distraction because everyone is 100% behind Braun. However, at the end, Matt said they expect a decision within 24-to-48 hours. Note that this was taped and played yesterday, so if he is correct, we should hear something today or tomorrow.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Well, there hasn't been anything to report.

Since when has that stopped ESPN from reporting? This is the same network that thoroughly covered Lebron James' latest twitter kerfuffle.

And no, this isn't supposed to be in blue.

And the network that sat outside Brett Favre's house for like a month with nothing new to report. The dont need anything new to report. They create stories when something isnt there

It really is pointless to read into the motives regarding why everyone including ESPN has been so quiet on this issue. No use getting excited or upset about anything since no one knows anything. I really don't care what ESPN does or doesn't do (But I sure as heck would tune in if Braun wins). ESPN is basically the last place I go for sports news now anyways.

Now I still think it is pretty crappy that they leaked it in the first place and ethics have gone out the window at the place lately due to pursuit of ratings but I am not holding anything against them now by devoting airtime to issues other than Braun since there hasn't been anything new to report in like 2 months.

I am just hoping we hear something by the end of the week. I am sick of waiting. This has taken so much longer than was anticipated at first. I also just want to hear each side of the story. With the Packers losing early and me not really caring about the NBA this has taken up way too much of my sports intake each day.

Since when has that stopped ESPN from reporting? This is the same network that thoroughly covered Lebron James' latest twitter kerfuffle.

And no, this isn't supposed to be in blue.

What goes on the air at ESPN is no accident. This situation has to come up in production meetings. Kurkjian was on Mike and Mike this morning. You think he isn't aware a decision is close? But they chose to ignore it completely. I definitely think that sometime ago they chose to stay away from the topic all together because they may have jumped the gun on a story without all the facts.

It seems weird that anyone would even know when exactly the decision will be announced; I would take that to mean that decision has obviously already been made it just a matter of announcing it. The realist in me tells me that that would imply a guilty verdict because I have to imagine Braun's team would let it be known he is innocent as soon as they found out. I have to imagine the appeal panel would let Braun know before the rest of the world. If he was guilty I imagine thet would be content letting MLB announce it first and then go into damage control.

When has that stopped them? I'm surprised there hasn't been a Coors Light 6 pack of questions done every hour about the latest Braun situation. Or a nightly 2 hour special called "The Decision" where Skip Bayless and Steven A. Smith yell at each other about the latest non-news.

Archived