Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension… (Part 3, Appeal underway)

RyDogg66
  • Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what makes you say that? MLB will NOT make an announcement if he is found not guilty. They will just proceed as normal. They may defend themselves or their process at some point but not right away.

That means either Braun makes it or it gets leaked, if he is innocent that is.

Why would MLB make an announcement in Maryvale? Now certainly Braun would if he were the one breaking the news.

Braun will absolutely not be the one breaking this news.

This would mean he's being suspended then. This is a irresponsible post unless you know something, I would hope you would explain.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Why would MLB make an announcement in Maryvale? Now certainly Braun would if he were the one breaking the news.

The MLB could make the announcement of the suspension or internally render the decision for not guilty at any location of their choice. The main news focus(Braun) will be in Maryvale in either case.

As discussed prior, if the MLB announces nothing (i.e. no suspension), this simply could mean that they will inform Braun and the Brewers today. Either way, its a big news point.

This is a differing opinion to a lot of people here. Many have said that if Braun wins the appeal MLB will not be the one breaking that news but it will be Braun breaking that news. Not sure why you seem so certain MLB would break the news of someone winning an appeal against them

I doubt MLB will do anything more than issue a press release, no matter which way the decision falls. Regardless of which way it falls, all the initial action is in Maryvale for the reporters, so that's where they need to be.

After the networks get the human reaction angle on the story, a more enterprising reporter who is actually interested in expanding on the facts (or maybe even all six of these reporters still in existence) will have to do some actual investigative journalism.

For what it's worth, Tom Haudricourt twitted the following a few minutes ago,

"I've had no indication that Ryan Braun verdict will be today."

Maybe someone at the MLB Network has an inside source at MLB telling them to go to Maryvale. I think if MLB was officially telling reporters to come to Maraville, the Brewer reporters would have been told and multiple sources would be reporting it. Same if it was someone from Braun's camp.

For what it's worth (and I'm sure not much), if I'm counting correctly, today is the 25th business day since the first day of the appeal hearing.

edit: Take that back, tomorrow is the 25th business day (forgot about President's day).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The Maryvale thing is interesting. Perhaps a vindication presser? I'd imagine if the suspension was upheld, it'd come from the home office in NYC, not to mention that the Brewers would probably want to distance themselves from it. On the other hand, I suppose if the suspension is upheld, there will be a media blitz on Maryvale regardless.

Could it be good news that they are all going to Mayville?

No, not good news. I grew up in Mayville....nothing good there.

Mayville was our rivals in high school. You're right, nothing good has ever come out of Mayville. In fact, I believe Mayville is where Hitler was born. That's just what I heard.

Mayville was our rivals in high school. You're right, nothing good has ever come out of Mayville. In fact, I believe Mayville is where Hitler was born. That's just what I heard.

Ha, ha!! Did you go to Horicon? Or Lomira? Aahh, the memories....

Lomira, go Lions! And, after Oakfield got wiped out by that tornado, our football team went that Saturday and helped clean up main street. Rumor is, THEIR football team spent the day beating up orphans and using them to club baby seals, while spraying thousands of Aerosol cans into the air. I have an unconfirmed source, so according to ESPN rules, i can run with the story.

Well it's now almost 5:00 EST and 2:00 Pacific....still waiting. After all the leadup this morning and the thoughts it was coming soon, I'm going to be disappointed if we don't know anything by the end of the day here. All the hype and buildup and the Matt V tweet could amount to absolutely nothing?

Lomira, go Lions! And, after Oakfield got wiped out by that tornado, our football team went that Saturday and helped clean up main street. Rumor is, THEIR football team spent the day beating up orphans and using them to club baby seals, while spraying thousands of Aerosol cans into the air. I have an unconfirmed source, so according to ESPN rules, i can run with the story.

Hilarious! You and I must be about the same age, because I had just graduated the summer of the Oakfield tornado. I was at the high school doing a summer musical, and thinking, how horribly ironic it would be to have a tornado take me out in the place I tried to get out of for 4 years! Obviously, I was fine.

I was going to say, wouldn't it be sweet if it were 80 degrees with spring training going on in Mayville, Wisconsin? ;)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

To all the people saying MLB won't announce anything if the suspension is overturned, we don't know that. At this point, with the public nature of the case, that policy is probably out the window. If I were the MLB, I'd want to spin this in my favor no matter what the ruling. If Braun is suspended, they get to claim that they don't play favorites and the program is working. If Braun is exonerated, they get to say the appeals process works. Saying nothing at all doesn't help them.

This is a differing opinion to a lot of people here. Many have said that if Braun wins the appeal MLB will not be the one breaking that news but it will be Braun breaking that news. Not sure why you seem so certain MLB would break the news of someone winning an appeal against them

This isn't a civil court case, Braun v. MLB, this is a review of one instance/usage of a MLB program/policy. The news isn't Braun's to announce, it is either MLB's or the arbiter's (which, by extension would be via MLB). It's funny to me to think that, in a case largely centered around the leaking of private information, people think Braun would leak the results of the appeal. MLB isn't just going to delegate Braun to be their PR rep for this & tell him to go ahead & be the one to announce the news, that's absurd imo.

My guess will be that, if Braun is suspended, MLB will hold a press conference... and if he's not, the news will be sent out via press release.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Apparently MLB's drug testing program allows for "multiple possible defenses" unlike that of the NFL. That according to David Cornwell who helped represent Braun in his appeal. It's news to me...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/22/ryan-braun-case-highlights-differences-between-mlb-nfl-drug-testing-policies/

All I've been hearing is that there was no defense. A true positive means suspension no matter the reason even if there was an innocent excuse. This suggests otherwise. Possible reason for hope?

He also provides the Antwan Odom example in which Odom served a 4 game suspension in the NFL that he feels would have been overturned under the MLB program.

The news isn't Braun's to announce,

Why isn't it? Braun's reputation is the one at stake as well as a good portion of his personal revenue, both now and going forward. It's as much "his" as it is anyone else's.

Perhaps it will be as others have suggested- Braun is cleared and MLB says nothing, as there is then technically nothing for them to announce. Is Braun then supposed to do nothing and say nothing? I just don't see that happening.

Why isn't it? Braun's reputation is the one at stake as well as a good portion of his personal revenue, both now and going forward. It's as much "his" as it is anyone else's.

Why isn't it? Because it's not the RBBL anti-doping process that's been under review here, it's MLB's.

If there's a press conference to announce the decision here, it will be arranged by MLB, perhaps even the MLBPA, too... but not Braun. If the Brewers &/or Braun want to put together a presser for Braun to field questions after the decision/verdict has been reached, then obviously they can do that.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's been clearly stated that if the news is negative that MLB can and would announce it. Now, they may give Braun a chance to come out with it given some special circumstance. If Braun gets off, he has the option to announce (which he obviously would to clear his name) but Major League Baseball would be contractually obligated according to the CBA to stay quiet.

Archived