Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension… (Part 3, Appeal underway)

RyDogg66

According to Rotoworld:

According to the New York Daily News, Ryan Braun's PED suspension appeal was heard on Thursday.

The Daily News' sources say Braun "pleaded his case" in front of a "three-member panel," who will come to a decision on the matter at some point soon. The 2011 National League MVP is strongly denying that he has ever used performance-enhancing drugs, but a test in October came back positive for synthetic testosterone. The 50-game suspension seems likely to be upheld.

-----

Continued from:

viewtopic.php?p=762252#p762252

Original Lead:

viewtopic.php?t=26571

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been on Androgel (synthetic testosterone) for a medical issue for a few weeks now, and trust me, I'm still as unmuscular and dumpy looking as ever. I told the nurse today I feel like I'm on a placebo. She said it takes at least a month to kick in.

According to Rotoworld:

According to the New York Daily News, Ryan Braun's PED suspension appeal was heard on Thursday.

The Daily News' sources say Braun "pleaded his case" in front of a "three-member panel," who will come to a decision on the matter at some point soon. The 2011 National League MVP is strongly denying that he has ever used performance-enhancing drugs, but a test in October came back positive for synthetic testosterone. The 50-game suspension seems likely to be upheld.

That last sentence is really irritating. WHY? I know those aren't your words RyDogg.

According to Rotoworld:

That last sentence is really irritating. WHY? I know those aren't your words RyDogg.

They're not validating the suspension they're just suggesting the most likely outcome. I would say that sentence is more accurate then saying the 50 game sentence is likely to be over-turned.

According to Rotoworld:

They're not validating the suspension they're just suggesting the most likely outcome. I would say that sentence is more accurate then saying the 50 game sentence is likely to be over-turned.

I think what MoreTrife is trying to say is why put any opinion about the outcome in there at all? Putting that sentence in there makes it sound like they have some sort of inside information about the situation, but they are not going to explain any further.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

From ESPN;

The person did not know whether the hearing had concluded or whether it would extend into at least one more session. Typically in grievances, after the hearing the sides may submit written final arguments before the arbitrator rules.

MLB has not confirmed the positive test. Baseball's drug agreement says first positive tests are not made public until after the appeals process has been completed.

Technically, the arbitration is before a three-person panel that also includes a representative of management and the union. The independent member, Das, is the decisive vote in nearly all cases.

From cbs sports:

On Thursday, a three-person panel heard Ryan Braun's appeal of a 50-game suspension stemming from a positive test for raised levels of testosterone, CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman has confirmed.

The three members of the panel were MLB Players Association executive director Michael Weiner, MLB executive vice president for labor relations Rob Manfred and independent arbitrator Shyam Das, according to the New York Daily News, which first reported the story.

Braun is expected to make a short speech when he accepts his 2011 National League Most Valuable Player Award at Saturday's Baseball Writers' Association of America dinner in New York.

Braun's representatives have repeatedly denied allegations that the Brewers outfielder took performance-enhancing drugs.

According to Heyman, no major league player has successfully appealed a positive drug test.

I've been on Androgel (synthetic testosterone) for a medical issue for a few weeks now, and trust me, I'm still as unmuscular and dumpy looking as ever. I told the nurse today I feel like I'm on a placebo. She said it takes at least a month to kick in.
That is the conversational equivalent of taking one for the team. Thanks for being willing to share a personal fact that sheds some light on our discussion. Also, I hope that your medical issue isn't serious and/or the treatment is effective.

I think what MoreTrife is trying to say is why put any opinion about the outcome in there at all? Putting that sentence in there makes it sound like they have some sort of inside information about the situation, but they are not going to explain any further.

Exactly

I've had steroids once. Doctor induced into the bloodstream every day for 5 days and then pills to slowly cycle off of them. They made my metabolism shoot through the roof. I felt like I could run a marathon. If I was able to lift weights at that time (I had to stop while dealing with the medical condition), I would have put on tons of muscle. It doesn't put muscle on, but it will enable you to work out more and that causes muscle growth.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Just a little beside the point here, but I find that the public tends to be gullible in a way that they'll believe any scandal the media regurgitates, but they won't believe any signs of innocence out there. Now Braun may be guilty, or may have taken some medications, or there may be a slight chance he's completely innocent, but whatever happens the public will always view him as a cheater.

Just a little beside the point here, but I find that the public tends to be gullible in a way that they'll believe any scandal the media regurgitates, but they won't believe any signs of innocence out there. Now Braun may be guilty, or may have taken some medications, or there may be a slight chance he's completely innocent, but whatever happens the public will always view him as a cheater.
Maybe, maybe not. Braun's always been a stand-up guy. Bonds, Clemens etc....not the case. If Braun is able to convey that he is either completely innocent or somehow not a cheater (failed to notify MLB of a certain medication that is warranted), then I feel that the public is going to see Braun differently. At least, that's what I'm hoping for, so maybe I have some kool-aid eye glasses on.

Articles like Buster Onley's "He should just give away his MVP even if he intends to plead innocence" are part of the problem.

We are two weeks from finally knowing some of the truth's and finding out if MLB thinks he was negligent, cheated, etc. and this fool cant wait until that is finished to spew this garbage. Why would he give up the MVP if he thinks he is innocent? Is that not the most damning thing he could do? Why write this article and point fingers when the truth has not been uncoverd and it is your network was the one that ran with the story prematurely in the first place.

The average fan picks up bits and pieces along the way, and when sports writers are jumping to conclusions why wouldnt they?

Just annoyed.

Yeah, even for a reporter associated with ESPN's MLB coverage, Olney is a phenomenal knob.

I'm really hoping NBC Sports Net can start to steal some market share; from what I've read they're looking to create a market for people who don't like to be screamed at in sports cliches, and rumors have been swirling about them picking up some MLB coverage. They just need a cute but talented and knowledgeable sideline reporter http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Edit: That last line sounds a bit creepy. Oh well, I guess it fits in with our Amy and BF.net girls threads.

Tom H is in Nyc to cover this tonight said that Mark A, Doug, Gord and a few other are there to support Braun this evening, Buster Onley is a tool, I also hope that the nbc sports net takes off, I have not watched any espn network since this all has happened with Braun.

Madtown343 wrote:

Articles like Buster Onley's "He should just give away his MVP even if he intends to plead innocence" are part of the problem.

We are two weeks from finally knowing some of the truth's and finding out if MLB thinks he was negligent, cheated, etc. and this fool cant wait until that is finished to spew this garbage. Why would he give up the MVP if he thinks he is innocent? Is that not the most damning thing he could do? Why write this article and point fingers when the truth has not been uncoverd and it is your network was the one that ran with the story prematurely in the first place.

The average fan picks up bits and pieces along the way, and when sports writers are jumping to conclusions why wouldnt they?

Just annoyed.

Why would this shock anybody? He works for the same company that broke this story in the first place even though it was supposed to be confidential until the appeal because they had to break the story before anyone else.

Madtown343 wrote:

Just annoyed.

Why would this shock anybody? He works for the same company that broke this story in the first place even though it was supposed to be confidential until the appeal because they had to break the story before anyone else.
I have a really, really hard time blaming ESPN for breaking the original story. They had sources that gave them information (Braun failed a test), they reported that information, and it was true. Brewers fans have every right to be upset at MLB for leaking the info, and probably with the way ESPN handled follow-up stories, too (anchors saying he tested positive for steroids, saying he's already been suspended, etc.). But you can't fault ESPN for breaking the news. There isn't a news source in the country that would have sat on that information and done nothing with it.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived