Brewer Fanatic

Braun Suspended for Remainder of 2013 Season

trwi7
I'm not sure what the people here wanted to happen from day one of this nonsense. Did everyone just want him to come clean as soon as his name came up in the case? Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

I am far from perfect, and I'm generally far from judgmental (believe it or not), but this is basic right and wrong stuff. I thought?

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bottom line here is that Braun got some horrible advice from his handlers, or was incredibly naive to think that the truth wouldn't eventually come out in this day and age. Had he just taken his medicine from the start, he would have been much better off. Now he is basically a pariah.

I don't think that this is going to turn out well for the Brewers either. I suspect that he's been juicing all along, and if that's the case, this contract could look horrible in a couple years. I'd be willing to bet that all big money contracts in the future will have some language that will allow teams to void the deal if the player is found to have used PED's.

Trade him or cut him. He is the face of the franchise, so this will take a long, long time to settle down. I don't want to hear steroid chants for the next 5 years every time I watch a road game. I don't want to be in the awkward position of cheering for him (or not) when he hits a HR.

In addition to doing it and lying about it, to this very minute he hasn't leveled with us beyond the generic semi-apology that I think agents teach players right after they sign a contract. Release a BS statement then flee town without facing the music. Nice.

The whole thing has turned too weird to deal with. Maybe it would be different it was Kintzler or Weeks, etc. But since Braun IS the Brewers face, is this really something we want hanging like a cloud over how many more seasons? Best to use the band-aid approach. Just rip it off and move forward.

Ryan Braun in 2009 (shortly before A-Rod was outed as a PED user): "“The best thing he can do is come out, admit to everything and be completely honest. The situation will die a lot faster if he tells the whole truth.”

Ryan Braun in 2011 (upon being informed he tested positive): "This is all B.S. I am completely innocent."

Ryan Braun in 2012 (upon beating the rap): “I am very pleased and relieved by today’s decision. It is the first step in restoring my good name and reputation. We were able to get through this because I am innocent and the truth is on our side.”

Ryan Braun today: "As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect."

Final verdict: Hypocritical scum.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?

Oh, wait....he might have a tough time with that one.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not sure what the people here wanted to happen from day one of this nonsense. Did everyone just want him to come clean as soon as his name came up in the case? Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

I am far from perfect, and I'm generally far from judgmental (believe it or not), but this is basic right and wrong stuff. I thought?

Me too. I get it that guys want to play and play great, and there is all kind of temptation to do well for your contract, your teammates, your fans, etc.

But when you hold press conferences, make denials, continue to lead people along, it's ridiculous. I don't want to cheer for guys who do that.

Not that what they're saying is wrong, but those are some pretty high horses.

I chuckled when Schilling said the collector had his life ruined.

Yeah, I've seen that a few places. How in the heck was his life ruined?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He was trashed by Braun, then for maybe a week Brewers fans hated him and then life went on.

No kidding. Does anyone know if he still collects samples? I bet Curt Schilling doesn't have the answer to that.

Glad it is over. Don't really care at all, guy took a pick me up for the 2011 playoff run and got caught.

PEDs use is rampant in all sports. If taken properly, a cycle will not push a person over the levels that will trigger a positive result. I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of the league is on something. There is no risk and all reward. Ask Melky how they worked for him? Landed him a nice fat contract.

Until MLB puts in some really penalties like lifetime ban or playing for league min after positive test guys will continue to use.

Different from what you guys are talking about but I don't think there has been a time in my adult life where I have actively avoided sports related pages where I could see anything about this. At least I know where to point all the blame. I think in this period of time, it would help Braun if he had complete transparency.

What a lying fraud.

Press conferences, throwing the collector under the bus, looking into the cameras and denying any and all guilt. Pathetic.

People hate being lied to. Over and over and over again. People hate being made fools of. And for what Braun did, lying over and over, throwing people under the bus, imo he is a piece of crap.

Ryan Braun in 2009 (shortly before A-Rod was outed as a PED user): "“The best thing he can do is come out, admit to everything and be completely honest. The situation will die a lot faster if he tells the whole truth.”

Ryan Braun in 2011 (upon being informed he tested positive): "This is all B.S. I am completely innocent."

Ryan Braun in 2012 (upon beating the rap): “I am very pleased and relieved by today’s decision. It is the first step in restoring my good name and reputation. We were able to get through this because I am innocent and the truth is on our side.”

Ryan Braun today: "As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect."

Final verdict: Hypocritical scum.

Ok, dude. I think we've heard your opinion several times now. Your schtick is getting old. Maybe step away from the computer for a while, hmm?

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Verified Member
Through all of this, I can't believe that guys (not just Braun) who are buying substances that could dramatically affect their careers, their lives....everything....would use their real names. It's just mindnumbingly moronic.

We got guys over in the NFL getting arrested at what seems to be a record pace. They got professional hitmen playing over there. There have been guys on the Brewers that I have really not liked before, but this just doesn't stop me from cheering for the guy. If you don't like the guy, root for the laundry.

Not that what they're saying is wrong, but those are some pretty high horses.

I chuckled when Schilling said the collector had his life ruined.

I had the same reaction at the rubes that defended Braun and cried that his good name was being ruined by big bad ESPN, while he still had $140 million plus coming to him at the time. The poor guy!

Verified Member

Yeah, he absolutely trashed him! Braun is a monster:

"There were a lot of things that we learned about the collector, about the collection process, about the way that the entire thing worked," Braun said, "that made us very concerned and very suspicious about what could have actually happened."

Or, you know, he was just referring to the fact that the collector apparently broke protocol and didn't do his job correctly (not that his "livelihood" was affected in anyway).

By the way, was it Braun who leaked the collector's name, or the self-righteous media who is now crucifying Braun? Hmm...

I can at least find humor in the reports where they say his suspension is for "the rest of the year and the playoffs." So you're saying there's a chance!

Of all the comments in this thread - this is the best one. Thanks JJ

Yeah, I've seen that a few places. How in the heck was his life ruined?

ESPN trumpeted a story all over the world that they got from a "leak", and what never ever should have been public became very public. It's not Braun's fault that the guy didn't get to remain anonymous like he should have.

What I don't understand about the Braun thing, is how this makes everyone think that MLB is now clean. Clearly, if Braun has been using for YEARS and beaten probably hundreds of drug tests, their testing program really can't be that good, can it?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived