Brewer Fanatic

Braun Suspended for Remainder of 2013 Season

trwi7
Maybe it's a generational thing (I'm 47), maybe it's just being brought up differently, I don't know. However, I'll never understand this mindset of "They should just allow PEDs in sports..who cares?". What about just continuing to work hard and seeing where your abilities take you and taking some pride from that? I'm tired of this attitude that if you are not "gaming the system" you must be a sucker.

For those of you who just want them to legalize PEDs in sports, do you mean unlimited use of any steroid or HGH or anything? Is that really what you want to see? You would find that entertaining to watch? Seems like a bad action film or turbo charged video game to me and I would have absolutely no interest in watching it.

I don't think there was any generation where you could call it a "clean" game. In almost every generation you have had some "kind of gaming the system" either it being through a drug or a rule in the game.

As for HGH I believe there has been studies done that it does not really improve a players performance but it does help a player come back from injuries a lot quicker. I am a firm believer that Albert Pujols used HGH in 2011 to return from his early season injury. Pujols returned almost a full month earlier than expected I am sorry but no human being is going to heal in that quick of a time frame. I believe he came back about 3 weeks earlier than his projected earliest time table. This screams HGH was used by Pujols to rehab the injury. I am fine with this and HGH really should be legal in all sports as I don't want to watch a sport and not be able to see a top star of the game because they are injured.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member

See post 742. Most of the "outrage" is not because people are "surprised" that he took PEDs.

People are outraged over somebody (potentially) lying a press conference?

Must lead to a lot of frustration on a near daily basis.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Really surprised at the amount of angst about the fact that he 'lied to the fans'.

Does he come across looking like a bit of a tool after his big presser in spring 2012? Well.........yeah. Lesson not learned after Rafael Palmeiro's fall from grace, apparently.

People calling him a 'piece of crap human being' and such..........proof once again that while we love our hero's, what we REALLY love is to see them knocked off their pedestals.

LOL okay man.

People hate being lied to. Over and over and over again. People hate being made fools of. And for what Braun did, lying over and over, throwing people under the bus, imo he is a piece of crap.

Here's the thing. Dude popped a negative, and then got off on a technicality. What was he SUPPOSED to say?

"Yeah, I got off, but here's the thing. I was ACTUALLY taking?"

I know we want our sports hero's to be White Knights, but that's not how it works. Dude got off on a technicality, which is fine. I'm not all that harsh about steroids. I do several (monitored) cycles a year, due to a medical condition. NBD. I suspect Brauny did one, maybe two cycles to get over an injury late in the year or whatever. He got popped, and he lied because he got away with it.

There's NOBODY here, and I mean NOBODY who is so perfect that they have never lied to a spouse, or a brother, or a parent, or someone at work, or SOMEONE, maybe not to hurt them, but to just shield them from information that might paint the teller of the lie in a negative light.

It doesn't make that person a "HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING" or a "PIECE OF CRAP HUMAN BEING".......

It just means they made a mistake.

I think when people throw out the terms HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING, a reality check is in order. Casey Anthony is a horrible human being. So far as I know, Ryan Braun hasn't murdered any babies.

I think most people are a bit hypocritical of others on a pedistal, but hide their own dirty laundry.. How many people in Wisconsin have driven way over the speed limit, cheated on their wives or girlfriends, or driven a bit drunk, or cheated for a few answers on a test, and then lied to others that they never have. Nothing Braun did was heinously illegal or horrible.

How many people get paid millions a year because of benefits of speeding, cheating on spouses, or drunk driving and then lie to the people who basically pay their salaries about our actions?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Braun's suspension does nothing to free up money for more international signings or draft picks. It just saves the Brewers some money this year as attendance will surely continue to dwindle.

International signings outside of Japan are all lumped into a single pool, the Brewers have thankfully already spent the majority of that pool. The same is true of the draft, there are no draft picks to sign, the signing deadline was July 12th, and the Brewers came in $63,000+ under budget.

I'm just glad this is over.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Here's the thing. Dude popped a negative, and then got off on a technicality. What was he SUPPOSED to say?

No..he should not of appealed in the first place. Cliche..but don't do the crime if you can't do the time. See Andy Pettite. Even Braun said at one point in his career that players that get caught should just come clean.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think most people are a bit hypocritical of others on a pedistal, but hide their own dirty laundry.. How many people in Wisconsin have driven way over the speed limit, cheated on their wives or girlfriends, or driven a bit drunk, or cheated for a few answers on a test, and then lied to others that they never have. Nothing Braun did was heinously illegal or horrible.

How many people get paid millions a year because of benefits of speeding, cheating on spouses, or drunk driving and then lie to the people who basically pay their salaries about our actions?

Well, anyone with a high priced job, i.e. doctors, lawyers, CEO all are paid with assumptions about a particular kind of behavior and decorum requisite to the profession. Plenty of these people are doing underhanded, illegal things in their professions on top of it.

Well, it would have been best if he'd just accepted the suspension at the start, but yes, that would have been the right thing to do.

Braun's suspension does nothing to free up money for more international signings or draft picks. It just saves the Brewers some money this year as attendance will surely continue to dwindle.

International signings outside of Japan are all lumped into a single pool, the Brewers have thankfully already spent the majority of that pool. The same is true of the draft, there are no draft picks to sign, the signing deadline was July 12th, and the Brewers came in $63,000+ under budget.

Can't speak for everyone, but I misconstrued what was said when I said "same" to thebruce.

I'm lookin forward to a higher draft pick, basically.

I think this contract is going to be a huge blunder in the long run. They should move him when he gets some value back. If he's not juicing I don't think he will be nearly as consistent as he had been, with injuries and performance.

And I agree admitting would have been the way to go, he just looks like a cheat and liar now. Even if he did lie after the appeal win, he could have done it much more modestly. He looks like a tool now.

I agree with Bruce. If you don't idolize and worship pro athletes as super heroes this really doesn't come as a shock or provide some great outrage as a crime against humanity. I actually almost feel empathy for those that exhibit such delusion. These guys are just providing entertainment. Pro sports is just entertainment with little to no meaningful consequence to any of your real lives. Regardless of wins and losses ALL OF YOU still have to get up the next morning and go to work.

I still love Ryan Braun. Sure I'm going to miss him the rest of the year. But get the time served and move on. He made a mistake, he screwed up. Nobody's perfect. We all fall short of the glory.

Can't speak for everyone, but I misconstrued what was said when I said "same" to thebruce.

I'm lookin forward to a higher draft pick, basically.

I didn't mean for people to get so hung up on the specifics of what I was suggesting. The point was that we move on and try to improve the team in other areas with the money saved in a lost season.

Verified Member
I think this contract is going to be a huge blunder in the long run. They should move him when he gets some value back. If he's not juicing I don't think he will be nearly as consistent as he had been, with injuries and performance.

And I agree admitting would have been the way to go, he just looks like a cheat and liar now. Even if he did lie after the appeal win, he could have done it much more modestly. He looks like a tool now.

Come on, man. He already had a season after his PED-suspension where there was zero drop off. Braun might be the most talented player in Brewers history (if not Yount -- depends how he finishes his career), and you want to trade him because he lied at a press conference?

Come on, man. He already had a season after his PED-suspension where there was zero drop off. Braun might be the most talented player in Brewers history (if not Yount -- depends how he finishes his career), and you want to trade him because he lied at a press conference?

No, I want to trade him because I don't think he will be the player he was. I'm guessing he was still juicing last year and that is what this suspension is about. I guess we will see next year.

I truly believe in my heart and I would bet my life that this substance never entered my body at any point."......"I have always taken tremendous pride in my image and my reputation in being a role model and handling myself the right way and doing things the right way. And all of that has been called into question by this situation. When you know you're innocent of something, it's extremely difficult to have to prove it when you're in a process where you're 100 percent guilty until proven innocent."

Well, anyone with a high priced job, i.e. doctors, lawyers, CEO all are paid with assumptions about a particular kind of behavior and decorum requisite to the profession. Plenty of these people are doing underhanded, illegal things in their professions on top of it.

Ok?...and plenty of them are not. If the one's doing "underhanded" things get caught and continue to deny, then yes, I have the same disdain for them, as I assume others would as well.

Witrado saying appeal to come even after Braun's statement. :laughing

This post has kind of been forgotten about. Are you joking or do you have a link of some sort?

I agree with Bruce. If you don't idolize and worship pro athletes as super heroes this really doesn't come as a shock or provide some great outrage as a crime against humanity. I actually almost feel empathy for those that exhibit such delusion. These guys are just providing entertainment. Pro sports is just entertainment with little to no meaningful consequence to any of your real lives. Regardless of wins and losses ALL OF YOU still have to get up the next morning and go to work.

I still love Ryan Braun. Sure I'm going to miss him the rest of the year. But get the time served and move on. He made a mistake, he screwed up. Nobody's perfect. We all fall short of the glory.

I don't idolize, worship, or look upon these guys as super heroes. I'm not shocked. I don't think this is a crime against humanity. I'm not deluded. (Given your tone, I think you meant sympathy instead of empathy. Know what you're saying before you condescend.) I fully understand this is entertainment.

None of that changes that the leader of a team we are all at least somewhat invested in was a cheat and a bald-faced liar regarding the rules of the game for almost two years. That's disappointing. Was it a mistake? Obviously. Can he change? Sure, hopefully. It's still disappointing.

Witrado saying appeal to come even after Braun's statement. :laughing

This post has kind of been forgotten about. Are you joking or do you have a link of some sort?

He tweeted it. He's not going to appeal it was just funny how Witrado said an appeal was coming even after Braun made the statement basically saying he made mistakes and wasn't appealing. Basically it was making fun of Witrado, like we did in the good ole days.

Part of a genuine apology includes acknowledging what the person did that was wrong.

We are not getting that right now, which makes the PR response ring hollow.

Either way, glad it's finally over.

Without knowing the circumstances, is taking a PED that's past the arbitrary line MLB draws wrong?

It's definitely one of the lesser evils on this planet. But trashing his sample collector was pretty sleazy.

If they moved him I would not have any issue with that either. I don't expect the Baloney that it happens best for this season. I will not buy anything Braun related and no reason to ever cheer him. He let down the whole fan base and his teammates. My questions is what his teammates think and do they want him back . Very curious what the owner feels and wants to handle Braun for 2014 season.

He did it, they caught him, and now he's suspended, which is the way it should be in the end.

He's not my brother, he plays for the team I root for, I won't waste any energy hating him, because it's not worth my time.

See post 742. Most of the "outrage" is not because people are "surprised" that he took PEDs.

People are outraged over somebody (potentially) lying a press conference?

Must lead to a lot of frustration on a near daily basis.

No, but it's certainly not going to help my opinion of someone who does this.

For the people who say "don't idolize", but then say they still love and will cheer for Braun...who's doing the idolizing?

Archived