Brewer Fanatic

Braun Suspended for Remainder of 2013 Season

trwi7
  • Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im not defending Braun here, and admittedly I dont know alot about PEDs and the mechanism of action/psychological effects,etc (thats far above my pay grade) but what if this is/was some kind of addiction to the meds he was suffering from? Addicts will go to great lengths for their addictions. Like I said, perhaps its a far fetched theory,but hypothetically plausible.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

I'd think that the use of PEDs is very psychologically addictive in the least. As for Braun's history of usage, obviously no one knows for sure but him. If I had to bet though, I'd bet that he's used since college. It would be great if he just started in 2011, but time will tell I suppose. The real question to me is did he use in 2012? If he did, that took some real brass. When was this clinic in Miami busted?

Or maybe Braun was so defiant following his arbitration victory because he had already stopped using by this time and knew he would never get a positive test again? He figured he had it beat and only had to cover it up once?

What irks me is the comments being made by players that are now part of the media (Schilling, Larkin, Kruk, Williams). They had a chance, as a member of the MLBPA, to get PED's out of the game long ago but instead of standing up for something they instead fell in line with the union heads who wanted nothing to do with any sort of PED testing. Now they choose to bash someone when they themselves stuck their heads in the sand when they knew it was happening all along? Also, the same "media" who are all over this story, stuck their heads in the sand back in the day as well. Where was this aggressive reporting/digging in the 90's?

Verified Member

I've been a member of this forum for a long time (not sure how long. Used to go under another user name and now I mostly troll). Anyway, I've been reading this thread and it makes me sad.

I've seen a lot of controversial threads over the years. I've seen things get heated. But I've never seen the level of snarkiness and downright personal attacks that I've seen in this thread. I get it. To anyone who says there's no emotion involved in this...I just can't buy it. There's no one on this board who doesn't care about the Brewers.

To me, it's the saddest part. You have 3 options:

1. Say he didn't do it. It's a conspiracy

2. Say he did it and he's been doing it all along. And I'll never forgive him.

3. Say he may or may not have been doing it. And I don't care. I'll cheer him when he gets back.

Maybe I'm missing a few options but what I'm not missing is the fact that something happened with the best player this franchise has seen in the last a lot of years. A player that played a great role in it's recent, minor successes (though great to us).

This makes me want to buy a puppy so that I can name it Braun and kick it.

Now that my raw emotion is gone and I can genuflect, I really feel bad for all the brass in the organization who have to stand up and take questions that they can't answer. While Mark A. has a funny way of pronouncing vowels, I respect the hell out of him for showing up tonight. And answering questions he doesn't seem to know the answers to.

You're turn, Ryan.

Community Moderator

So TH on twitter says Braun wants to talk but can't due to the investigation? That makes a huge difference because his lackluster statement is one of the biggest things he is getting roasted for right now.

Edit: apparently that is old news. Anyway, all traces of Braun were removed from the scoreboard highlights at the game tonight.

I've been a member of this forum for a long time (not sure how long. Used to go under another user name and now I mostly troll). Anyway, I've been reading this thread and it makes me sad.

I've seen a lot of controversial threads over the years. I've seen things get heated. But I've never seen the level of snarkiness and downright personal attacks that I've seen in this thread. I get it. To anyone who says there's no emotion involved in this...I just can't buy it. There's no one on this board who doesn't care about the Brewers.

To me, it's the saddest part. You have 3 options:

1. Say he didn't do it. It's a conspiracy

2. Say he did it and he's been doing it all along. And I'll never forgive him.

3. Say he may or may not have been doing it. And I don't care. I'll cheer him when he gets back.

Maybe I'm missing a few options but what I'm not missing is the fact that something happened with the best player this franchise has seen in the last a lot of years. A player that played a great role in it's recent, minor successes (though great to us).

This makes me want to buy a puppy so that I can name it Braun and kick it.

Now that my raw emotion is gone and I can genuflect, I really feel bad for all the brass in the organization who have to stand up and take questions that they can't answer. While Mark A. has a funny way of pronouncing vowels, I respect the hell out of him for showing up tonight. And answering questions he doesn't seem to know the answers to.

You're turn, Ryan.

Only issue I have with this is that Mark A said tonight while speaking(which I as well respect immensely) that Braun could not talk about the suspension while the investigation was ongoing. I think thats huge because tons of people are grilling him for not speaking but if thats part of the agreement he made then there is nothing he can do about that.

Here is the link where Mark A says Braun cannot further talk about it until the investigations are over so it may not be until the offseason we ever hear him speak

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/mark-attanasio-im-sad-about-ryan-brauns-season-ending-suspension-b9961709z1-216867271.html

"I think he has to get to the point where he can actually speak about this," said Attanasio, who met privately with Braun earlier in the day in Milwaukee. "Major League Baseball is in the midst of an ongoing investigation. He is now obviously cooperating with baseball. As a result of that, he's going to wait to speak to the point where he's able to speak."

Attanasio said it's not a condition of the drug policy for Braun to withhold details but added, "Because he's cooperating in such a way that he's going to let them conclude or get further into his investigation before he talks. I'm not implying he's speaking against other players. Relative to his own case, he's cooperating with baseball.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Yes, I agree everybody makes mistakes. I think one of the things that bothers a lot people is that if they made a mistake of taking drugs, and they were randomly tested at work, they would be fired.

I think you are thinking of recreational drugs. I wouldn't mind a few of my employees enhancing their performance... With some, I've been trying to do that for a while now! :laughing

I understand the distinction, just throwing it out there because I've been hearing that a lot from people. And it is a similar situation, since PEDs, while not illegal, is violating MLB's policy. Like I said, I know it's apples and oranges to some extent.

I get where you are going with that, but professional sports cannot be compared to a normal job. Also, many places of employment will offer a 2nd chance to a person who has failed a drug test allowing them to continue to be employeed as long as they go through some classes,counseling, and agree to certain self help terms.

The "Well, if I did that at my job" statement in a conversation about professional sports just doesn't work.

I'd think that the use of PEDs is very psychologically addictive in the least. As for Braun's history of usage, obviously no one knows for sure but him. If I had to bet though, I'd bet that he's used since college. It would be great if he just started in 2011, but time will tell I suppose. The real question to me is did he use in 2012? If he did, that took some real brass. When was this clinic in Miami busted?

Yeah, that would take some REAL arrogance to use in 2012 after got busted and then got off without a suspension. I believe the clinic closed in December 2012.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/mark-attanasio-im-sad-about-ryan-brauns-season-ending-suspension-b9961709z1-216867271.html

"I think he has to get to the point where he can actually speak about this," said Attanasio, who met privately with Braun earlier in the day in Milwaukee. "Major League Baseball is in the midst of an ongoing investigation. He is now obviously cooperating with baseball. As a result of that, he's going to wait to speak to the point where he's able to speak."

Attanasio said it's not a condition of the drug policy for Braun to withhold details but added, "Because he's cooperating in such a way that he's going to let them conclude or get further into his investigation before he talks. I'm not implying he's speaking against other players. Relative to his own case, he's cooperating with baseball.

came to post this. everyone needs to set the pitch forks down, sit down and just be patient for MLB to run its course here because Braun wont be saying anything until the final suspension is handed out

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Braun could easily have said at the beginning of all this: "I know people are going to have questions. But because of the ongoing investigation, I have agreed not to discuss my situation. I know I have a lot of apologizing to do. I know I have a lot of people to talk to. I know I have a lot of questions to answer. I'm sorry I can't say more at this time, but I'm doing what baseball has requested. When the time is right, I'll speak more about what has happened."

I just find it amazing he didn't say something like this. It would have defused so much of the anger.

Oh well, too late now. He's let the national media establish the tone and scope of the narrative. He's let others within the organization answer for him.

I'm just stunned at how poorly he's handled the situation. I thought he started out so good by coming out first, making a statement. But he's dropped the ball from there.

Braun could easily have said at the beginning of all this: "I know people are going to have questions. But because of the ongoing investigation, I have agreed not to discuss my situation. I know I have a lot of apologizing to do. I know I have a lot of people to talk to. I know I have a lot of questions to answer. I'm sorry I can't say more at this time, but I'm doing what baseball has requested. When the time is right, I'll speak more about what has happened."

I just find it amazing he didn't say something like this. It would have defused so much of the anger.

It would have defused none of the anger. He said the same thing before so nobody would have believed him. Glad to here Mark say it since that carries a lot more weight.

It would have defused none of the anger. He said the same thing before so nobody would have believed him. Glad to here Mark say it since that carries a lot more weight.

I'll split the difference and say it would have defused SOME of the anger.

Braun did release a statement after all right? So it's not that he can't say anything at all, it's just a matter of how a statement is presented.. Obviously, he just can't get into details. It would have helped his cause for people to see and hear him give a brief statement, rather than send out a press release and skip out of town. That would have provided the human touch, and give everyone a chance to "feel his pain" so to speak.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I actually think it would have helped a lot. He never said anything about not being able to talk (or if he did, I missed it) because of the ongoing investigation. He never gave any indication that he would have more to say and more to do.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe nothing would have helped. I just think it would have given people a moment of pause before they went ballistic on him.

Just found this little nugget:

Ryan Braun said in a statement Thurdsay that he is not allowed to address his 65-game PED suspension.

MLB's investigation into the Miami-based Biogenesis clinic is still ongoing and they've likely given Braun a gag order as part of his suspension agreement. "I know it was difficult for everybody," Braun said, "but I was not, and am still not, legally allowed to say anything yet." He'll presumably face the media at some point later this year.

Source: Todd Rosiak on Twitter

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Someone earlier asked why the list only had baseball players and not anyone from any other sport:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9508288/biogenesis-whistleblower-broke-open-scandal-says-ncaa-mma-nba-other-athletes-used-clinic-mlb-investigation

There's the silver lining - the more names from different sports that come out, the less bad it's going to make Braun look. IIRC though, MMA allows juicing as long as it is done by a licensed physician. (One of the many reasons I don't watch that "sport".)

Testosterone replacement therapy and therapeutic use exemptions are allowed but very controversial in MMA. I'm not even sure its across the board, it may be different from state to state.
"Two three the count with nobody on, he hit a high fly into the stands. Rounding third he was heading for home, it was a brown eyed handsome man. That won the game, he was a brown eyed handsome man."

Don't knock mma. You apparently know very little about it.

Please read what he wrote. Nowhere does he knock Mma, he clearly states his opinion why he doesn't watch it.

Apologies if I misunderstood but putting "sport" in quotes kinda tells me he's saying it's not legit. Whatever sorry to get ofg topic.

Archived