Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 2)

adambr2
he doesn't have a crystal ball, however Hall was pretty hot coming into the game, history shows that he is a streaky player, you might want to keep that guy in the line up. Not to mention he has played solid D at 3rd this year.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"What would you say...you do here?"

Seriously, though, I am so sick of Ned Yost. What really ticks me off are his explanations for why he does things. An example would be the reason he took Sheets out of a game early. He said I'm not going to take a chance with Ben Sheets. Not in April. What kind of reasoning is that? We don't need a manager who coddles his players, especially guys like Sheets. Let him throw until his arm falls off. He's a big boy. He can handle it. The time for babysitting our players is over. Toughen up, for crying out loud.

milwaukeesportsfan wrote:

We don't need a manager who coddles his players, especially guys like Sheets. Let him throw until his arm falls off. He's a big boy. He can handle it. The time for babysitting our players is over. Toughen up, for crying out loud.

In the case of Ben Sheets I think some coddling is in order. I am not to concerned if he has injury problems in the future, but I want him able to pitch in October, hopefully.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

He's the best manager the brewers have had since 2001 or so at the very least.

I just think it's that just had the best talent in that timespan. He's really average to below-avg. as a manager, imo. What totally baffled me today was why he let TGJ hit v. Marshall. I hope this can be evidence of someone not using results to frame their analysis of Yost. Gwynn got the BB, but why he was left in is beyond me. Why leave Kapler sitting on the bench? If Lou went to the righty, even then I think burning your 2nd best lefty PH is a good trade.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

milwaukeesportsfan wrote:

We don't need a manager who coddles his players, especially guys like Sheets. Let him throw until his arm falls off. He's a big boy. He can handle it. The time for babysitting our players is over. Toughen up, for crying out loud.

It's not coddling when a manager sits a pitcher FOR ONE START with arm soreness. (Particularly a pitcher who had a torn muscle in said arm). It's seeing the forest from the trees - Sheets is still the best pitcher on this team when he's healthy. If you like that kind of manager, I heard Dusty Baker is in Cincinnati now ...

Rubbing some dirt on it=FAIL

Ned is a bad manager.
He's not though. He's one of the best in the game.

Uh, I don't think he's horrible, but I'd have a hard time understanding what kind of criteria you could make up that would justify Yost being called one of the best managers in the game. Being the manager of a team that gets its first winning season in 15 years does not make you one of the best in the game.

This is his 6th year. He's never been manager of the year in the NL. He's not usually up there in the voting. His bullpen was generally considered to be woefully mismanged last year. His team blew an 8.5 game lead in the division and set a franchise record for 3 run leads blown. He doesn't make the team better than it should be. I just don't see how he can be considered better than average, and that's being generous.

He's the best manager the brewers have had since 2001 or so at the very least.

I just think it's that just had the best talent in that timespan. He's really average to below-avg. as a manager, imo. What totally baffled me today was why he let TGJ hit v. Marshall. I hope this can be evidence of someone not using results to frame their analysis of Yost. Gwynn got the BB, but why he was left in is beyond me. Why leave Kapler sitting on the bench? If Lou went to the righty, even then I think burning your 2nd best lefty PH is a good trade.

Given that they're at 13 pitchers and Rivera will rarely pinch-hit, I don't see blowing two of your three pinch-hitters in the seventh inning as a good move. Given Gwynn vs. Kapler in the first place, I'd take Gwynn because Kapler doesn't hit righties any better than Gwynn hits lefties and it forces Piniella to burn a pitcher. Plus that still leaves you the choice of a righty and a lefty later on. So Yost made the correct move in my opinion, and it worked out for him.

I don't see blowing two of your three pinch-hitters in the seventh inning as a good move.

Given that there was a great run-scoring chance, I want to see Ned send his best hitters up. What they do against same-handed pitching doesn't even have to factor in. Send up Kapler, and if Piniella burned his lefty to bring in a righty, then you play Gwynn to his strength as opposed to a weakness. Even though the O showed up for 10 runs, tonight there was no such thing as enough runs (not that you argued that there was), and given the circumstances I think the situation was worth two pinch-hitters. I'm sure Ned has input on how many pitchers they're carrying, so I can't simply say, 'Oh, he's handcuffed.'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't see blowing two of your three pinch-hitters in the seventh inning as a good move.

Given that there was a great run-scoring chance, I want to see Ned send his best hitters up. What they do against same-handed pitching doesn't even have to factor in. Send up Kapler, and if Piniella burned his lefty to bring in a righty, then you play Gwynn to his strength as opposed to a weakness. Even though the O showed up for 10 runs, tonight there was no such thing as enough runs (not that you argued that there was), and given the circumstances I think the situation was worth two pinch-hitters. I'm sure Ned has input on how many pitchers they're carrying, so I can't simply say, 'Oh, he's handcuffed.'

Not sure I'm following here. Gwynn was announced against the RH pitcher. Lou does a pitching change. So a lefty was brought in to face Gwynn. Now if Yost goes to Kapler he gets Kapler vs the left hander because the pitcher must face one batter.

I see two schools of thought in this thread, and neither the twain shall meet:

1. Ned is a bad/horrible manager. He is either playing the stats too much or not going with his gut enough (Hall on Sunday). If we win, it is in spite of what he did. If a player fails to perform, Ned is at fault for failing to put him into a position to succeed. He relies on matchups too much or not enough. Every loss is a Yosting because one can always take the fallback position that he is the manager and is ultimately responsible for the team's performance. Basically, anybody else, including one of us, could do a better job and you are insane if you can't see that.

2. Eh, he does okay. He beats looking for a replacement mid-season.

Neither side can be moved. On to page 54!

and not to beat a dead horse, I don't think you throw your most important pitcher over 100 pitches in only 5 innings when he clearly didn't have his best command. Especially on a day like yesterday when you have a greater chance or him re hurting himself. Its not like they were "easy" pitches either. The only reason why he went back out there to pitch the 5th is to try to get him a win and I think that logic is ridiculous.

and before you say you can't coddle your number 1 pitcher, you want him pitching down the stretch right? You might was to take it a little easy on him in April so he has a better chance to be there in sept and oct.

thats just my opinion

I see two schools of thought in this thread, and neither the twain shall meet:

1) I used to say someone flipping a coin could do better than Yost. It ends up someone picking names out of a hat would do the same as Yost.

2) We already hired Yost's replacement. He's sitting right next to Yost. The only question would be who do we bring in/up to be bench coach? Or do we move Sveum back to the bench and bring up a new 3rd base coach?

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

The only reason why he went back out there to pitch the 5th is to try to get him a win...

You know this how?

He doesn't. He's just making up a point to support his argument. The only one who could possibly know that is the coaching staff. I imagine the reason he went out there for the 5th was to spare the bullpen from having to go 5 innings. (Had he done that, I'm sure he would have been accused of bullpen mismanagement by some, so its a no win situation for Nedly).

I do find it rather ridiculous the lengths some will go to pile on Ned. In many cases it seems to be nothing but an ego stroking exercise, meant to make some feel like they are "smarter" than the thick skulled manager.

Archived