Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 2)

adambr2
The squeeze was the perfect call in that situation.

No it wasn't -- If Yost was so concerned about the DP, he could have PH for Kendall.

The pitcher walked 2 batters, and playing for one run with our bullpen was not smart.

I'm beginning to think Yost should be fired, fired into space.

Yup. Number of DP's Kendall has hit into this year... ZERO. And yes he ended up hitting a grounder. But it's a whole different situation with two outs and runners on second and third than bases loaded and one out. Pitchers pitch differently and batters have a different approach at the plate.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now even Gagne, who has everything to lose by being removed from the closer role, basically had to bonk Yost on the head and say, "Hey, anybody home? Have you seen me in the closers role so far this year? You just going to keep letting it ride?"

So now Yost will probably make the decision, but if Tony La Russa and Eric Gagne hadn't each given him a nudge, I doubt he budges.

La Russa gave him a nudge? La Russa stuck with Isringhausen just like Yost stuck with Gagne, and Isringhausen didn't get demoted until he bonked La Russa on head.
Yup. Number of DP's Kendall has hit into this year... ZERO.
He's hit into quite a few in the past. A good month and half doesn't negate that.
The squeeze was a typical Yost move, trying to prove that he can out-manage his opponent when it's obvious he's out-thinking himself.
Well the Cardinals weren't ready for it. Miles wasn't in that far. Unfortunately Kendall wasn't ready for it either. If it wouldn't have been botched by Kendall/Sveum it probably would have worked.

Well the Cardinals weren't ready for it. Miles wasn't in that far. Unfortunately Kendall wasn't ready for it either. If it wouldn't have been botched by Kendall/Sveum it probably would have worked.
On the drive home, I heard that Yost totally threw Kendall under the bus for missing the sign.
If you're a manager in any profession you DO NOT throw your employees under the bus. You defend them and take the blame yourself. Yost does not know how to manage. Anything. You can blame Kendall or Hall or Sveum all you want, but Yost should be the last person blaming anyone else. It doesn't even matter if it isn't his fault. When you're the head guy, you take the blame.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Yup. Number of DP's Kendall has hit into this year... ZERO. And yes he ended up hitting a grounder. But it's a whole different situation with two outs and runners on second and third than bases loaded and one out. Pitchers pitch differently and batters have a different approach at the plate.

Okay, lets say he lets Kendall swing away. The only way we would have scored more than the one run was if he would have hit an extra base hit. Do you really think he would have gotten an extra base hit? Yost, knew he was only at best going to plate one, so he went with the safest way to do that. Now, if you believe that the bullpen is shaky, than your argument against the squeeze is even shakier. Yost had to get a lead, because he knew there was a good chance his bullpen was going to allow more runs, so he couldn't afford to risk not scoring any. I'm not the biggest Yost guy out there anymore, but to me this just seems like people reading way too much into a botched play by a veteran catcher. I will however admit there is major incompetence lying within our third base coach Dale Sveum. Overall, if you think our bullpen is not good enough than you need to be blaming Melvin and not Yost!

Okay, lets say he lets Kendall swing away. The only way we would have scored more than the one run was if he would have hit an extra base hit. Do you really think he would have gotten an extra base hit?

No. I don't think it is likely Kendall gets an extra base hit, however, if he gets a single or a BB, at least one run scores, and the inning continues with only one out.

While the blame on Yost is going to come for the overall record, I still don't get how there is always a reason as to how "HE" lost the game. I believe the squeeze was a great call. Yet we have it being a "terrible" call and Gagne coming in a bad decision. Playing for one run is certainly not out of the ordinary and especially with Kendall up. Gagne was probably warming up seeing we thought we were going to plate a run so that was no surprise either.

The loss really hinges on bad offense again. We need to score some runs and the offense continues to be simply awful. But this Yost stuff is just out of control. We need to score over 5 runs sometimes or I don't care who the manager is. Anyone who is calling for Yost's head must see something I don't. Who do we get to replace him and what exactly would that cure? Is the team batting average going to get above .250? Are we going to strike out less? Is Parra, Bush, or Villy going to get through 5 innings? I just see so many problems and all the in-game threads and afterwards are about Yost.

I don't get it at all. Which is why I don't post during the games and skim after the game. But from the looks of things, Yost is still the focus.

Since when is a SS a great call with the bases loaded? Playing for 1 run when your closer is struggling? Isn't a better idea to try and give Gagne a little more cushion to work with. It's a good call with a runner at 3rd only maybe. But you've got a Cardinals bullpen walking everybody and a chance to break the game open. It was a dumb call and Yost got the result he deserved.

I'm 50/50 on the actual decision to suicide squeeze. Kendall does have the reputation of GIDP, hence the reason why he bats 9th. However, I would have like to have seen a pinch hitter in that situation, Counsell perhaps, in order to get a fly ball.

Yet we have it being a "terrible" call and Gagne coming in a bad decision. Playing for one run is certainly not out of the ordinary and especially with Kendall up. Gagne was probably warming up seeing we thought we were going to plate a run so that was no surprise either.
I agree that the biggest problem is overall lack of offensive mojo rather than Ned. But . . .

1.) I don't think that Kendall is so pathetically bad at the plate that you have to bunt in that situation, especially with only one out, the bases loaded, and the top of the order coming up after him.

2.) I don't think you have to put in Gagne simply because he has been warming up. (Really, you just don't warm him up in the first place, given his obviously shortcomings recently in close games.)

While the blame on Yost is going to come for the overall record, I still don't get how there is always a reason as to how "HE" lost the game. I believe the squeeze was a great call. Yet we have it being a "terrible" call and Gagne coming in a bad decision. Playing for one run is certainly not out of the ordinary and especially with Kendall up. Gagne was probably warming up seeing we thought we were going to plate a run so that was no surprise either.

The loss really hinges on bad offense again. We need to score some runs and the offense continues to be simply awful. But this Yost stuff is just out of control. We need to score over 5 runs sometimes or I don't care who the manager is. Anyone who is calling for Yost's head must see something I don't. Who do we get to replace him and what exactly would that cure? Is the team batting average going to get above .250? Are we going to strike out less? Is Parra, Bush, or Villy going to get through 5 innings? I just see so many problems and all the in-game threads and afterwards are about Yost.

I don't get it at all. Which is why I don't post during the games and skim after the game. But from the looks of things, Yost is still the focus.

Somehow, Somewhere Yost is being blamed for burnt toast and runny eggs this morning. It's society today and the "me first" mentality that tends to dump responsibility upon somebody else, usually one man rather than looking at the collective shortcoming of all. A change of the guard and this team is still a 75-87 until the team can start to do the things mentioned in your post. I dont believe decisions cost ballgames as much as lack of execution does. I don't believe the squeeze was a great call, but it wasn't horrible either. I personally would have perhaps attempted a pinch hitter with a better fly ball ratio, but I dont have the stats at my luxery to make that decision in the 15 seconds that Yost has to make it. That said, the game "is was it is". The players failed to get their 2nd hit until the 7th inning of the ballgame and it's no wonder Yost has to play for "1" run when you look at what the team has been giving him.

I still don't get how there is always a reason as to how "HE" lost the game.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that, they're saying that once again, he did not put his players in position to succeed.

Yet we have it being a "terrible" call and Gagne coming in a bad decision.

Not many people are blaming Ned for bringing in Gagne, most of the blame has been put on Gagne for not getting it done.

The loss really hinges on bad offense again. We need to score some runs and the offense continues to be simply awful.

Yes. And had Ned not tried to get tricky and put the squeeze on in the eighth, they might just have scored more runs. With runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 out, the run expectancy is 0.634. With the bases loaded and 1 out, it's 1.65- that's if Kendall gets on. Even if he doesn't, with bases loaded and 2 outs the run expectancy is 0.815: still a higher likelihood of scoring a run than using the squeeze, which isn't always successful anyway. And that's assuming he doesn't hit a sacrifice fly or drive in the run some other way.

But from the looks of things, Yost is still the focus.

This is the Designated Ned Yost thread... There are plenty of others that focus on the lack of offense and poor pitching.

Somehow, Somewhere Yost is being blamed for burnt toast and runny eggs this morning. It's society today and the "me first" mentality that tends to dump responsibility upon somebody else
Kinda the same way Yost dumps responsibility on his players or coaches or mosquitos?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I don't think the squeeze call was egregious, but I'd have much rather tried to preserve the out and gone for more than one run. So I guess I do blame Ned a little, but this isn't something I'd use as part of a laundry list of significant complaints.

As far as the play itself, I'd say that the breakdown came between Sveum and Kendall, and that I'd absolve Hall completely.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I hear a lot about why only play for one run in that squeeze play attempt yesterday. Go for a "big inning" or something like that.

The way this offense is going right now, do you really have any confidence in them to score more than one run in that situation?

How many times have they not scored and left the bases loaded in the past week? Seems like a lot. Two is too many.

Heck it took the Cards walking in runs for them to even score earlier in the game.

Here's the thing that boggles my mind. All of last year, I seem to remember people complaining that CoCo wasn't brought into the game in the 9th inning of tie games at home. When does Yost decide to start doing that? When the dominant closer leaves and we get a shaky one.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

The way this offense is going right now, do you really have any confidence in them to score more than one run in that situation?

Bases loaded, only one out, reliever struggling... Yeah, I think it would have been better to play for multiple runs. It would have been fair to hope that Kendall could have singled, walked, or lifted a sac fly.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

We need to score some runs and the offense continues to be simply awful.

Calling a suicide squeeze in a situation when our run expectancy was so high didn't help us -- that's on Yost. I think we all agree the offense has been bad, but that really is a whole other issue.

Kinda the same way Yost dumps responsibility on his players or coaches or mosquitos?

You beat me to us -- Yost leads the league in blaming fans, players, bugs, non-tangible entities, etc...

The other thing I thought about -- others have noted that the Brewers don't require the hitter to acknowledge the squeeze sign. -- This seems entirely idiotic to me, if Kendall swings away, he could clip Hall and end his season (please resist the Hall jabs). With all the players running through stop signs, not getting signs or ignoring signs, this just seems like a poorly run team.

Archived