Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 2)

adambr2

Your opinion is based on 33 of 162 games, or more accurately, just a handful of games.

Wrong! My opinion is based on a rotation of Sheets, Suppan, Villanueva, Parra, and Bush. It has little or nothing to do with the first 33 games. If you can point out the legit number 2 starter on a playoff team from that list. I'd love to see him. I'm not even sure you can show me the legit number 3 starter on a playoff team on that list.

You said "tailspin", which apparently is going to cover the remaining 129 games

I did? When did I say that? Here is what I actually said...

I immediately declared the season "over" as in I don't see anyway the Brewers make the playoffs. I also turned to my wife and told her my secondary reaction that I thought the Brewers may actually go into a bit of a tail spin for the next couple weeks.

Not sure they can play 129 games in a couple weeks.

Anything else I said that I didn't actually say that you'd like to point out?

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrong! My opinion is based on a rotation of Sheets, Suppan, Villanueva, Parra, and Bush

I said this: "I understand you have the injury/ies weighed in there too, but it's way too early to know one way or the other about the playoffs."

I immediately declared the season "over" as in I don't see anyway the Brewers make the playoffs. I also turned to my wife and told her my secondary reaction that I thought the Brewers may actually go into a bit of a tail spin for the next couple weeks.

So if the tail-spin lasts only two weeks, and the Brewers somehow lose all 7 of their following games (incredibly unlikely), they're at 16-24. With 122 games to go. Seeing as how you can't possibly predict what's going to happen to other teams, why would you go to the extreme of "declar[ing] the season over"?

You're right, I didn't understand your point on the tailspin. The negativity around here lately has me feeling a bit defensive/offensive/geeked up. I'm sorry I did that.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Kudos to Yost from an unabashed Yost basher. For the first time I can remember, Ned actually got a young pitcher out of a game an inning early instead of an inning late.

Most veteran managers realize you build confidence in guys who need it by taking them out before things fall apart. Yost has never seemed to grasp that. Either he's learning or another voice (Simmons?) is giving good advice.

Kudos to Yost from an unabashed Yost basher. For the first time I can remember, Ned actually got a young pitcher out of a game an inning early instead of an inning late.

Most veteran managers realize you build confidence in guys who need it by taking them out before things fall apart. Yost has never seemed to grasp that. Either he's learning or another voice (Simmons?) is giving good advice.

It worked out well, but I disagree...Parra was doing well, he had gotten 9 outs in a row, pitchcount was in the low 80s, and nothing was getting hit too hard. Going to the bullpen in the 6th inning of the first of a 4-game series seemed unnecessary. And to be honest, I don't think Parra is that much worse of a hitter than Gwynn. Reminded me of 2003 when Ned used to pinch-hit Brady Clark when he really meant to do a defensive replacement...it was almost like he was playing a video game, and he really badly wanted Brady in defensively, but couldn't find that option in the menus.

And to be honest, I don't think Parra is that much worse of a hitter than Gwynn.
Sadly enough, I agree...but ouch http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Just furthering proof that there will always be some who criticize Ned, no matter what. Last night's game was one of his best to date.
This is completely unfair. I thought Ned did a decent job last night, but by no means do I think that makes him a good manager. If he has turned a corner and starts changing things around, I will take notice. But I'm not gonna say he's suddenly great because of one game.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Yes. Ned needs to go. Last nights win might not be a good thing in the long run, all it did was keep Ned for a longer while.

Although I to wouldn't mind seeing Ned gone, I would never say that a win is not a good thing. I would never want the Brewers to lose just so Yost can get fired that is for sure.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Ned Yost's mind: Where amazing happens. A suicide squeeze w/ one out and the bases loaded? Yost, you are a genius.

More like Kendall or Hall is a moron. The squeeze was the perfect call in that situation.

giffted1 wrote:

More like Kendall or Hall is a moron. The squeeze was the perfect call in that situation.

How is the squeeze a perfect call there? All they needed was a fly ball. Sure, Kendall hits a lot of ground balls, but squeezing with the bases loaded is not a good call.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

The call was not ok. Bases loaded squeeze, are you kidding me?! Pitcher struggling, infield already in, force play at home, and a guy that rarely strikes out at the plate. The ball Kendall actually hit would've bounced over the drawn in infield, not that I believe that necessarily would've happened. It was a stupid call, and my guess is Kendall is too smart to have ever thought it might be called....so he missed it.

How is the squeeze a perfect call there? All they needed was a fly ball. Sure, Kendall hits a lot of ground balls, but squeezing with the bases loaded is not a good call.
Kendall is an extreme groundball hitter and Miles wasn't playing that far in. A bunt down the third base line scores a run.

(edit: nested quote --1992)

I'm with Gifted on this one. I don't think the SS was a bad call, with any reasonable bunt we don't get doubled up and we put the pressure back on the Cards. What's unreasonable is that either Billy messed up or Kendall did. Now that's bad coaching if one or both players didn't acknowledge the play and went through it.

On the drive home, I heard that Yost totally threw Kendall under the bus for missing the sign. I disagree with a suicide squeeze with the bases loaded in general, but shouldn't Kendall have had to confirm getting the sign before Sveum sent Billy? I haven't been able to rewatch it at all but I don't think the other 2 runners were on the move and I think the blame maybe with the coaching staff for sure. If Kendall doesn't acknowledge the play being on, Sveum should never told Billy to go.

Sidenote----One person who should not get any of the blame for that mix up should be Bill Hall. I personally am not a big fan of his, but he couldn't have gotten the signs wrong. The runner at third in that situation doesn't even reads signs, Sveum just flat out tells him what to do.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Since when is a SS a great call with the bases loaded? Playing for 1 run when your closer is struggling? Isn't a better idea to try and give Gagne a little more cushion to work with. It's a good call with a runner at 3rd only maybe. But you've got a Cardinals bullpen walking everybody and a chance to break the game open. It was a dumb call and Yost got the result he deserved.

Blancofan, you are correct. Most teams do have the "acknowledge" sign, the batter has to give a sign back before the third base coach sends the runner. So either Yost is too stupid to do it that way or Sveum was too stupid to look for Kendall giving the sign.

Either is very plausible.

Now even Gagne, who has everything to lose by being removed from the closer role, basically had to bonk Yost on the head and say, "Hey, anybody home? Have you seen me in the closers role so far this year? You just going to keep letting it ride?"

So now Yost will probably make the decision, but if Tony La Russa and Eric Gagne hadn't each given him a nudge, I doubt he budges.

Even longtime supporters of Yost are starting to think that he is a completely clueless buffoon.

The squeeze was the perfect call in that situation.

No it wasn't -- If Yost was so concerned about the DP, he could have PH for Kendall.

The pitcher walked 2 batters, and playing for one run with our bullpen was not smart.

I'm beginning to think Yost should be fired, fired into space.

No it wasn't -- If Yost was so concerned about the DP, he could have PH for Kendall.

You can't do that. What if Rivera suddenly falls down later in the game and hurts himself?

Archived