Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 2)

adambr2
If the Brewers do not win at least 4 out of 7 on this homestand, Melvin must pull the trigger and fire Yost. I expect them to win at least 5 but will give him the benefit if they have a winning record on the homestand. Since starting 6-1, the team is 10-17. I believe in 1982 the team got off to a similar start and fired Buck Rodgers and the manager shakeup led to some excellent ball being played.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've supported Yost for a long time, but its got to stop. And its not because of the in game decisions, because all managers can be questioned about those. It is the apparent lack of care and lifelessness that the team is showing. Besides Braun and his outburst the other day, does anyone on this team give a crap? Its so frustrating to watch the constant pop ups and weak grounders when men are on base. Its every game and you can predict its going to happen. This has to be not only on Ned but all the coaches and something needs to be done. His lack of care after games about whats going on is appalling. His stance with the media is very poor. The whole it'll turn around sooner or later, or they were hitting it hard but just right at someone is a tired excuse. For once show some fire. Sure if they've had bad luck for a week i can see it, but these clowns have been pitching and hitting like crap for a month and a half. This is no longer a small sample size, so that argument cannot be used. One fifth of the season is gone! I've held out for too long as I normally believe that firing a coach is just knee jerk reaction, but sign me up to the bandwagon and my free door prize for signing up to the fire NED now before its too late.

Just so you all know, a firing of the hitting or pitching coach is probably a lot more likely step that would be taken at this point, then the more drastic move of removing the manager. Those guys are always the first scapegoats to go in an attempt to "shake things up."

Verified Member
Just so you all know, a firing of the hitting or pitching coach is probably a lot more likely step that would be taken at this point, then the more drastic move of removing the manager. Those guys are always the first scapegoats to go in an attempt to "shake things up."

And that's absolutely ridiculous if they decide to go that route. We've fired hitting coaches, 1st base coaches, 3rd base coaches etc. under Ned. It's time for him to go.

Well I have been a long time supporter of Ned, I don't think he's the reason this team is under performing, and I feel if he was fired it would be kind of a raw deal to him (these guys are professionals, it's time to step up and play like it). But I don't really know what other options there are right now outside of trying someone else. I'm not at all on the "Fire Ned Yost" bandwagon, I just think for the sake of every Brewer fan/player/coach/FO person, it's time to try something new. If it still doesn't work after that? There are much larger issues at hand than Ned Yost.

And that's absolutely ridiculous if they decide to go that route. We've fired hitting coaches, 1st base coaches, 3rd base coaches etc. under Ned. It's time for him to go.

I agree with you -- but I suspect Naivin is right -- some coaches/players are bound to go under the bus first

I agree it would be rather ridiculous as well, and probably be rather pointless as it usually is as well, aand I don't see much to be gained from it. Then again, I don't necessarily think a whole lot would be gained from firing Ned either.

Well I have been a long time supporter of Ned, I don't think he's the reason this team is under performing, and I feel if he was fired it would be kind of a raw deal to him...

I'm with "brewcrew00". I am one who doesn't think the Manager has much influence during the actual game. They can only tell a player so many times in practice to not swing at pitches in the dirt, or to not throw that meat ball right over the plate with two men on base.

There are much larger issues at hand than Ned Yost.

Maybe the issue is these guys are just not as good...as we thought, as we were told, as some "experts" thought.

Or, maybe we need to look at the Yo-yo injury a little closer. The team did come back to win that game when they thought Yo-yo was fine, but have not won since finding out he is most likely done for the year. I mean I don't know this for a fact, but Yo-yo seems like a guy all his teammates like. Seems like a good guy. Maybe that is effecting the team more than we know and more than even they realize.

Maybe the issue is these guys are just not as good...as we thought, as we were told, as some "experts" thought.
Theres not an expert out there that didn't think this team couldn't have a winning record. Its 1 thing to pick the Cubs to win the division, and its another thing to say the Brewers are worse than Cubs, Cardinals and Astros, Mets, Phillies, Marlins, Braves, D-backs, and Dodgers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Maybe that is effecting the team more than we know and more than even they realize.

I don't think there is any doubt about it. In my first post following the news on his injury, my opinion was that their playoff hopes were dead, and an immediate tailspin would ensue. Unfortunatley, both of those points seem to be coming true. I think many are minimizing the impact of that injury, both on and off the field.

I don't think there is any doubt about it. In my first post following the news on his injury, my opinion was that their playoff hopes were dead, and an immediate tailspin would ensue. Unfortunatley, both of those points seem to be coming true. I think many are minimizing the impact of that injury, both on and off the field
Sounds like this team could use a good leader to get them focused again. Somebody who knows what it takes to win.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

In my first post following the news on his injury, my opinion was that their playoff hopes were dead, and an immediate tailspin would ensue. Unfortunatley, both of those points seem to be coming true. I think many are minimizing the impact of that injury, both on and off the field.

Maybe that is the case, and they just need time to get over it. If so, they need to get over it soon before it's too late.

I am one who doesn't think the Manager has much influence during the actual game. They can only tell a player so many times in practice to not swing at pitches in the dirt, or to not throw that meat ball right over the plate with two men on base.
If one or two guys aren't listening and are doing this kind of stuff, then yeah, I think you point to the player. But when the entire team is doing it, you have to wonder if there's a reason that NONE OF THEM are listening to Yost. If one or two people don't listen to him, it's their problem. If an entire team stops listening, there has to be a reason.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Its 1 thing to pick the Cubs to win the division, and its another thing to say the Brewers are worse than Cubs, Cardinals and Astros, Mets, Phillies, Marlins, Braves, D-backs, and Dodgers.

Outside of the Astros, and possibly the Cardinals, I'm not sure I see anything wrong with that statement. Then again, it is May 9th.

But when the entire team is doing it, you have to wonder if there's a reason that NONE OF THEM are listening to Yost. If one or two people don't listen to him, it's their problem. If an entire team stops listening, there has to be a reason.

this is right jazzy, and it has been a creeping, growing problem over the this and last season.

Sounds like this team could use a good leader to get them focused again. Somebody who knows what it takes to win.

I know Prince is the de facto leader, but he's still a young guy. Shouldn't guys like Cameron and Suppan and Kendall and even Kapler be the guys stepping up and leading?

I know Prince is the de facto leader, but he's still a young guy. Shouldn't guys like Cameron and Suppan and Kendall and even Kapler be the guys stepping up and leading?

What about the managers and coaches whose job is to, you know, lead?

Shouldn't guys who get paid to lead step up and lead? Just saying.

Absolutely. But the point was about veterans. Clearly, Prince isn't doing any leading and I think part of the problem is that he's in the same boat as all the other young guys. So I would think some veterans that have been through slumps and that have won rings should be the ones stepping up here.

In this articleon MilwaukeeBrewers.com entertainingly titled "Brewers hitters aim to become All-Stars" there is tidbit:

"The upcoming homestand also features the return of the team's 'Spring Madness' campaign, which includes discounted tickets and $1 hot dogs and small sodas throughout the Cardinals series.

That means the stands will be packed all weekend, and maybe that's what it will take to spark the sluggish Brewers. Things hit something of a low point on Wednesday, when manager Ned Yost called a rare team meeting to clear the air.

Generally, Yost is not a fan of team meetings.

'I think you hold team meetings if guys aren't hustling, or guys aren't mentally focused and prepared to go out and compete," Yost said. "Our guys are never there. They always hustle. They always go out and compete. There's no need to hold a meeting.'"

There was another article about the lineup changes where Yost insists that his team doesn't need a "shakeup."

This was not a "shakeup," Brewers manager Ned Yost said on Thursday, when he rested his three regular players with the highest on-base percentages.

But the lineup will change if the current configuration continues to slump.

"A shakeup wasn't intended," Yost said. "If this continues, obviously, we're going to have to shake the lineup up a little bit. We're going to have to move some guys around. I'm not ready to do that yet."

He might be ready if things don't improve against the Cardinals this weekend. After his club lost its sixth straight game and manufactured just two runs with nine hits, Yost said he would re-examine the issue on Monday if the Brewers don't have a breakout game or two.

"Then, maybe," he said. "But not right now."

In my first post following the news on his injury, my opinion was that their playoff hopes were dead, and an immediate tailspin would ensue. Unfortunatley, both of those points seem to be coming true

Come on. Self-congratulating already? What about the remaining, oh, 129 games? Oh... we're going to go 38-91, my fault.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

In my first post following the news on his injury, my opinion was that their playoff hopes were dead, and an immediate tailspin would ensue. Unfortunatley, both of those points seem to be coming true

Come on. Self-congratulating already? What about the remaining, oh, 129 games? Oh... we're going to go 38-91, my fault.

What are you talking about? My post was in direct response/affirmation of another. Far from self-congratulating. Beyond that, the tailspin has happened, and my opinion (as stated in my post) is that their playoff hopes are dead. I believed it at the time, and I believe it now. When I look at that rotation without Gallardo, playoffs is not exactly the first word that comes to mind. If you can find somewhere I said we were going to go 38-91, I will gladly retract everything I said. If you can't, perhaps you should. There is a bit of a gap between not making the playoffs and going 38-91, dontcha think?

Beyond that, the tailspin has happened, and my opinion (as stated in my post) is that their playoff hopes are dead

Your opinion is based on 33 of 162 games, or more accurately, just a handful of games. I understand you have the injury/ies weighed in there too, but it's way too early to know one way or the other about the playoffs. But if you just say, "No, I know deep down", then what can anyone say or do?

If you can find somewhere I said we were going to go 38-91, I will gladly retract everything I said.

You said "tailspin", which apparently is going to cover the remaining 129 games -- please give us your mathematical W-L equivalent. I can't see "tailspin" meaning playing .500 ball, which is currently a slight improvement. At this point, .500 misses the playoffs.

EDIT: Want to clarify that I don't think this team will be .500 the rest of the way.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived