Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 2)

adambr2
So we have a 5 game losing streak, fell under .500 and into 4th place and Ned's idea to fix this is to sit two of our best hitters in Hart and Fielder. The timing just doesn't make any sense to me.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
So we have a 5 game losing streak, fell under .500 and into 4th place and Ned's idea to fix this is to sit two of our best hitters in Hart and Fielder. The timing just doesn't make any sense to me.

Do not question the timing of the hat!

Do not question the timing of the hat!

Actually, I'm pretty sure Ned relies on the Magic 8-Ball.

With the team struggling as it is to score runs, was it difficult for the manager to sit his most productive hitters?

"It is, but it isn't, but it is," Yost said. "You understand that every once in a while, for their own benefit, they need a break. Everybody gets them."

Typicall Ned style aloof answer. This guy is just not a leader.

Does anyone want to join me in a team boycott until Melvin fires Yost?

We've gone through a carousel of coaches yet Yost is still there. Time to say goodbye! Untill then I am boycotting. THis team is too good to be so bad. So frustrating!

Bring on Ted Simmons!

Trenni did a piece during tonight's game in which she said Ned keeps a calendar of the bullpen and writes down each guy he uses and how many innings he's pitched. She said that Ned highlights a guy after he's been used twice so that he knows that if he uses that guy today for a third day, he gives him a mandatory two day rest because Ned NEVER uses a reliever more than 3 days in a row.

Are we to assume that Ned implemented this system after he pitched Gagne 4 times in a row?

The part I loved about that segment is the way she made it seem like such a well-thought and well executed system. My 5 year old nephew highlights the days on the lunch calendar for when he'd rather bring a lunch from home. I'm sure he thinks it's really neato that Ned highlights the names of players who have pitched consecutive days so he has a reminder.

Sidenote: Don't many athletes have a tremendous memory of games. I swear Favre could tell you the 9th play he ran in the Chargers game this past year. Yet Ned can't remember without the use of a highlighter who pitched the last 2 games.

If this is the fire yost thread I am in. This team stinks and all players seem to be perfoming worse than you would expect. Even if it isn't Ned's fault the team needs a shakeup and Yost hardly seems like the type we are going to regret firing. I liked Yost for awhile but I think with mangers the message can get stale after awhile and the players stop responding. I know Melvin will wait until we bottom out but the smart move is to shake things up right now IMO.

7-2, 1 out and 2 runners on. Starting to feel like a bit of a rally after a couple hits. Fielder and Hart both on the bench. Bring on Gwynn, Ned. Bring on Gwynn.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I just saw the second Brewer in the last week run through a stop sign (Billy Hall, after Cameron did so this weekend)...do the players have any respect for them any more?

Yeah and didn't Braun and Fielder bypass Yost and go to Skaalen about switching spots in the batting order. Perhaps the players have so little remaining respect for Yost/Sveuem that they figure they'll run this thing themselves. Seriously, what other not quite so subtle blows to the head does Doug Melvin need to see it's time for a managerial change?

Another instance I just recalled was from a couple weeks back when Bush basically said he needs to stop listening to all the advice he was getting to pitch differently. If that's not an admission of a lack of faith in the coaches, I don't know what is.

As much as he can get on my nerves, i think if LaRussa was managing the Brewers last year, we win roughly an extra 3-4 games and win the division.

I agree totally, LaRussa is a much better manager than Yost.

LaRussa is a much better tactician and he keeps his players fired up to win each game. Yost is a terrible tactician and keeps telling his players to relax until he's blue in the face.

If this is the fire yost thread I am in. This team stinks and all players seem to be perfoming worse than you would expect. Even if it isn't Ned's fault the team needs a shakeup and Yost hardly seems like the type we are going to regret firing. I liked Yost for awhile but I think with mangers the message can get stale after awhile and the players stop responding. I know Melvin will wait until we bottom out but the smart move is to shake things up right now IMO.
..Perfectly put. I am in this camp as well. Yost must go.

I just saw the second Brewer in the last week run through a stop sign (Billy Hall, after Cameron did so this weekend)...do the players have any respect for them any more?

Thanks for pointing that out, SF -- I didn't catch that tonight. However, when Cam ran through it last time, my first thought was, 'Akwarrrrrrd...', and then it dawned upon me that the players might not have much love for this coaching staff or some of the members of it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

the mutiny on the bounty has begun in earnest. the cracks in the structure are showing. the brewers with yost are one can short of a 6-pack. we only have one oar in the water. help me with more of these....

but the kids are still battling, darn it.

Community Moderator

I've been a Yost supporter all along...

However, I've been starting to wonder if Ned's "don't worry, it will be fine" attitude has gone too far. That is often an effective strategy, but I think the recent result has been that there is virtually no sense of urgency on the team. I've seen very few displays of emotion and not much sign of effort from many players this year (Bill Hall and Corey Hart come to mind). I know we're not that far back yet, but with our pitching, we can't count on a 24-10 stretch to get us back in the race.

I know they are "battling" and "working hard" and whatever, but showing up early for batting practice doesn't cure everything. There has to be a sense of urgency about it. They aren't Rookies anymore, they can handle a little pressure, and if Ned Yost doesn't put it on them, someone needs to. The Tigers responded well to Leyland's pep talk a few weeks ago, I'm wondering why Yost isn't doing the same--or even why some of the veterans in the clubhouse aren't stepping up and saying something. Maybe the presence of Geoff Jenkins mattered more than we thought.

I highly doubt firing Yost will bring us any closer to our long term goals. I would be disappointed to see our coaching staff full of former Brewers all leave, and I'm sure that Simmons would go with Yost, leaving Kremblas as the interim manager.

Dumping a road trip is something we do every year, it won't change anything until they lose at home. Extending the streak to 9 this weekend would be a good way to start--if they play bad, hopefully Attanasio is in attendance.

The thing is, and the Pack finally figured this out, is that hiring former players from the glory days to coach does not put a winner on the field. I cringe every time someone suggests a former Brewer to coach, all I think of is Forrest Gregg and Mossy Cade... Just because some one was a great player, or a role player on a great team, doesn't mean they can motivate young men. The best players usually have the hardest time coaching because the game came easy to them. Your best coaches end up being guys like Brady Clark that really had to get the most out of what they had (In no way is that an endorsement for Brady to come and coach). I would hope the next coach had no playing ties to the Brewers at all, and was hired for what he's done as coach, rather than who he is. Kremblas wouldn't bother much at all. The SABR crew would probably despise him if he kept with his ultra aggressive style on the basepaths, but somehow he's always managed to get the most out of his guys.

I've been fine with Ned for the most part, but after 2 huge collapses and the team going in the tank after 1 injury, it just seems to me like this team just sort goes about it's business and whatever happens... happens. Blaming Yost for every little thing that goes wrong in a game got old 2 years ago... but this team is regressing over the last 4 months of baseball and while some of that is "coming back to the mean", I'm slowly starting to lean towards something drastic changing with this team. I'm not going to jump off a bridge because they got swept 2 straight series, but they've played with so little life that it's hard to watch the games... I knew when Hall and Braun misplayed those balls that those runners would score, that's just the way things are going right now. This team needs a bench clearing brawl or something to tick everyone off and have them play with some emotion.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

the mutiny on the bounty has begun in earnest. the cracks in the structure are showing. the brewers with yost are one can short of a 6-pack. we only have one oar in the water. help me with more of these....

A few bricks shy of a load?

I'm for the first time gonna say it and let the cat out of the bag: "FIRE NED YOST!" I'm somewhat venting here but this is the Yost thread so it should be okay. Im sick of this garbage play on the field and someone must be accountable. I just have no faith we will ever win anything with him as the leader. Mark A and Doug let him go, and soon.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Ned Yost is 75-87 in his last 162 games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived