Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 3)

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what's the point of wasting everyone's time with a post-game interview then?
I ask the same question, Brian. It basically fulfills the requirement of the media being allowed to cover the game to try and accommodate the fans. It basically is a waste of time, though, because it's a bunch of generic speak and cliches.

Brian the Automator wrote:

So what's the point of wasting everyone's time with a post-game interview then?

I have no idea. Maybe it is part of MLB rules that there has to be one.

Sorry a large part of Ned's job is answering the questions of the media and explaining himself.

Maybe, but if DM and Mark A. have any problem with how he does it, they haven't done anything about it and I wouldn't expect anything to be much different unless there is a coaching change.

I understand people being upset that we don't get an explanation, but don't understand what makes people think we have a right to an explanation. I think it is bad PR not to give one, but we certainly don't have a right to one.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm gonna take a leap and say that I liked the late-inning management tonight, and not just because they won. The Weeks bunt was a good idea because it both moves the runner over and Weeks has a decent chance of beating it out. Sending Hall was the right call regardless of whose decision it was to send him, but I've always felt that an employees behavior is a reflection of the manager, so I'll give Ned some credit for that. I also liked the bullpen management tonight. So what the heck? Did someone tip Ned off to the site?

I really hope some of this stuff keeps up (crossing fingers).

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Yes, for all the bashing going on (some of which I've been part of), Ned sure was ballsy in the late going tonight. The decision to move hall from 2nd on a 3-0 turned out to be genius.

When Mark A. was in the booth in FSN, he mentioned how all 3 division winners from last year were at or below where we currently are at the same point last season. Not to mention the fact that we've played the least amount of home games of any MLB team. I guess I'm having a surge of optimism after tonight. Maybe the turnaround begins here.

The decision to move hall from 2nd on a 3-0 turned out to be genius. The decision to move hall from 2nd on a 3-0 turned out to be genius.

That looked like Hall just flat-out reacting to what he saw. I'm not one to forbid myself to praise Yost, but I can't imagine that was called. Hall just read the situation & took off imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

While I agree that as Hall's decision, I remember back to a couple double steals that were ripped apart here because they were called Ned's decision. I think many of these plays are up to the players and this one has nothing to do with Ned because it worked. Especially stealing third base. You just have to wait for a good jump and take it when possible. But most of the time it is a bad gamble. But very rarely can a manager call a steal of third on a particular pitch.

It works this way on alot of thing that happen to work. But when something doesnt work it immediately gets put on Ned. Players will make a manager look good or bad.

Do we really have any reason to believe that a manager who yells at an umpire long enough and with enough anger and disrespect that he's thrown out of the game should expect to get better calls going forward? Tell that to a non-baseball fan and he'd probably roll his eyes at you. But I'm supposed to just assume that it's true? No thanks.

When Yost thinks an umpire is wrong about a call, he let's them know it and moves on. If a manager can have any influence over future calls (and I'd question whether a crew would ever be biased in favor of a particular manager), I would think that's the way to try and do it. Play the victim and hope that it creeps into the umpiring crew's subconsious. It's what you see football and basketball coaches do and I think it's the right approach. Be a jerk and you might have the opposite effect.

I also refuse to just accept as fact the notion that a manager getting thrown out should result in better on field play by the players. Why? Because the players were apathetic towards the outcome of the game until the manager showed them that they should care about it? These are professional ballplayers who have excelled at every level that they've competed in! I think it would be more fair to assume that they are largely self motivated to begin with.

To me, a manger getting booted just looks like an act of desperation and frustration, more than anything else. I see no tangible benefit to it with regard to wins and losses. I suspect that frustrated fans just feel some sense of satisfaction from seeing the manager show frustration as well. Just like a frustrated fan likes to read an article tearing into their team when times are tough.

When Yost was hired: (Nowhere in here did I see that Yost would wait until after his fifth season to try to figure out how to manage a bullpen).

"I have to prove myself. What I was looking for was the opportunity. If he would have offered me a one-year contract I probably would have said yes," Yost said. "The two-year contract didn't bother me in the least. If I do what I think I'm capable of doing, two years is going to turn into five or six."

"He said he went to bed the night I called him and said, 'How do I make the Milwaukee Brewers better even if we don't change any of the personnel?' And what that indicated to me was I've got an individual who is focused on what he has and not focusing on what he doesn't have," Melvin said.

"Passion and enthusiasm are a lot like catching a cold," he said

"No matter what profession you're in, you'll make mistakes when you get that first opportunity," Melvin said. "I'll sacrifice a mistake here and there for the work ethic and all the other qualities that he brings because I know with time that we all get better with experience."

"The two-year contract didn't bother me in the least. If I do what I think I'm capable of doing, two years is going to turn into five or six."

I guess he's fulfilled HIS expectations of himself.

"Passion and enthusiasm are a lot like catching a cold," he said

So.....are the Brewers healthy, then?

"No matter what profession you're in, you'll make mistakes when you get that first opportunity," Melvin said. "I'll sacrifice a mistake here and there for the work ethic and all the other qualities that he brings because I know with time that we all get better with experience."

I'm confused by the last one. I can see how in your first year, sure you're going to make mistakes. But to have the same mistakes, and/or different mistakes 5 years down the road, is that truly getting better with experience? That's either stubbornness, stupidity or insanity. None of them are major qualities I want in the manager of my baseball team. Well, I do want SOME stubbornness, but if change is needed, it has to happen.

6 IBB all year to this point and then 2 in one inning. I might see some reasoning behind walking the 2nd guy in front of the pitcher, but not Chipper no matter how well he is hitting. Even the guy in front of the pitcher who you might be able to consider unprotected(I only believe in protection in extreme cases like hitting in front of a pitcher and even then it's a stretch), the pitcher could still be pinch hit for.

I blame Wang.

Make note of this timestamp: 5/29/08 12:37 PM

Even logan has had enough with Yost! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

We'll make note of it at 2:37 PM because as everybody knows, Pacific Time sucks. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Fair enough. Sheesh, I didn't even think of that... sooooo tired today. That event is important in any timezone, though.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What was even more frustrating about the IBB to Chipper today was Bill's comment about how Kelly Johnson did the Brewers a favor by opening up a base for Jones. Nevermind that Teixeria only averages 35 home runs a year, he's been slumping so he must get an out this at bat!

What was even more frustrating about the IBB to Chipper today was Bill's comment about how Kelly Johnson did the Brewers a favor by opening up a base for Jones. Nevermind that Teixeria only averages 35 home runs a year, he's been slumping so he must get an out this at bat!

I can excuse a commentator for being wrong. Unfortunately our manager had the same dumb thought.

Make note of this timestamp: 5/29/08 12:37 PM

Even logan has had enough with Yost! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Lets not get carried away here. Yost is still far from one of the guys who issues IBB with any regularity. In fact it is so out of character I am going to go ahead and blame this one on Simmons.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Interesting to see some of the names who issue lots of IBB. Smart managers like Hurdle, Black, Cox, and Gonzales are all at the top. I have no idea how anybody could justify one IBB everyother game. A "good" IBB is always questionable at best in my opinion.

I blame Wang.

When are we finally going to send RicK to AAA? Iribarren should've been up here 5 weeks ago. Did Weeks get ahold of those pictures Wes Helms had?
There is a whole thread about Weeks here.

I blame Wang.

Archived