Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 3)

Thanks for making me feel welcome on this board. I apologize to BF for using a semi-bad word that represented a swear got my post deleted...won't do it again...my bad. I'm usually over on other boards but figured I'd try talking a bit on here because the fans over here seem pretty knowledgeable. However, every time I post here someone will come back with a snide comment no matter if it is positive or not.

My apologies for exaggerating about my feelings on the Brewers when referring to a manager who has been here for 6 years and has seemed to regress every season.

[/sarcasm]

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Good original observation, DocBucky, & thanks for the addition, moof. Ned's decision-making has become even less logical.

I posted my observation without looking at any other posts as it was late and it was my first opportunity to post yesterday. Apparently someone else had the same observation earlier, so my point was therefore invalid? Pretty condescending post on your part for what I felt was legitimate baseball discussion, albeit unknowingly repetitive.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Two messages in a row contained this monster quote:

Now don't take this as me applauding the team in any way, I think they are terrible.

Oh... good.[/sarcasm]

I want a manager and a team that have a killer instinct to get EVERY run and every win they possibly can.

Maybe if they'd done something like plated 6 runs in a single inning recently you'd feel a bit better.

The Brewers weren't holding the man on first, so as Mota delivered the fateful pitch, the runner on first broke for second and would have arrived easily. After the first pitch, the Nats would have had 2nd and 3rd with one out. I would imagine that Yost would have walked the batter to load the bases to set up a force at every base. So, the pitch that Mota threw was a meaningless pitch. Nice call, Ned.

Wow. Good original observation, DocBucky, & thanks for the addition, moof. Ned's decision-making has become even less logical. This team needs to try a new skipper. It certainly wouldn't hurt much to try.

Please note the guidelines in the "Quoting messages: please be brief" thread.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

well I must say with Ash, Melvin, and MA in attendance I have been waiting to hear about the axe coming down on Yost. I think this team needs a fresh start and that won't happen with Yost in charge, regardless if you think he was a decent manager (and I do not).

First thing that will happen on this upcoming homestand is that fans will start booing at every little bad thing that happens. The young team will start to get frustrated and angry with themselves and the fan base and this will only grow worse. Let Yost take the fall now and keep the fans interest at least. I'd think they would back this team under the guise of 'new leadership' or rebuilding for a year..

well I must say with Ash, Melvin, and MA in attendance I have been waiting to hear about the axe coming down on Yost. I think this team needs a fresh start and that won't happen with Yost in charge, regardless if you think he was a decent manager (and I do not).

First thing that will happen on this upcoming homestand is that fans will start booing at every little bad thing that happens. The young team will start to get frustrated and angry with themselves and the fan base and this will only grow worse. Let Yost take the fall now and keep the fans interest at least. I'd think they would back this team under the guise of 'new leadership' or rebuilding for a year..

Come back to Earth a bit here. There are a bunch of inaccurate statements in this thread, I dont know where to start. First of all, I dont think a majority of "the fans" will start booing at every little thing that goes wrong. There are certainly some fickle fans out there, but not enough to allow the "young team" to get angry at themselves. Secondly, since when is this team "young"? I thought they were ranked 18th out of 30 in terms of age? Thirdly, I'd like to think that not a majority of fans are so bandwagon that a poor homestand would not allow them to keep their interest....especially since it's only May. The name on the manager's door after the homestand, I dont think will turn away a fanbase. Smart fans realize this team is only 3.5 games off of last year's pace.

What I think is sad is that anyone who has a criticism about the team and thinks there should be changes is branded not a real fan and a band wagoner.

I guess you have to wear the proverbial rose colored glasses in order to be a "real" fan of the team. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

Did you even read the previous post(s)?

Let Yost take the fall now and keep the fans interest at least. I'd think they would back this team under the guise of 'new leadership' or rebuilding for a year..

Can't keep in interest in the team because of the name on the manager's door? Especially 50 games into a 162 game season? I believe that is how Webster's defines "bandwagon".

Of course interest in the team is down. Yes the people on this board are die hard fans. But the people here are a tiny tiny tiny percent of people who buy tickets and go to games. The team has pre sold a great number of tickets so actual attendance numbers will be pretty good this year.

I don't know how anyone can argue that interest isn't down compared to last year. Will changing the manager make a difference? Maybe, maybe not. But the casual fan will perceive that something is being done. And it's the casual fan, not the small amount of people who are on this board, that buy most of the tickets.

I think fans want and deserve a change. They've been sold on a playoff team this year by management and simply haven't been getting it done in spite of the talent level, just like last year. I think fans going to the games know this and are going to start being vocal about their dissatisfaction with the lack of change.

I think fans want and deserve a change. They've been sold on a playoff team this year by management and simply haven't been getting it done in spite of the talent level, just like last year. I think fans going to the games know this and are going to start being vocal about their dissatisfaction with the lack of change.

Exactly. 99% of Brewer fans aren't on the internet going over all the stats and dissecting every game the way we do. All they see are the end results. And after being fed a lot of playoff hype they aren't happy. That doesn't mean it's all Ned's fault. Far from it. But they see Ned as a guy who is in his sixth year and they want a change.

Good test for Mark. He inherited Doug and Ned. He's tripled the payroll for Doug and given Ned a much more talented team than when he took over as manager. At what point does Mark feel that these guys have hit their peak. Or does he continue to play it safe...

I'm glad you make a distinction between casual fans and diehard fans. I also did that, but I replace Casual with bandwagon. When things are going good, they are at the ballpark... when Rickie Weeks hits .196, the cleanup hitter sits at 6 dingers, the closer blows 8 games, the #2 starting pitcher is lost for the year, suddenly the manager must be fired, or I'm gonna lose my interest, stomp my feet, and find some other way to spend my summer nights. Boo Hoo. However, attendance is already high, near 70-80% of capacity future game. I dont think that firing Ned Yost is going to sell out every game from here to October. Only winning will do that. For that to happen, the players need to produce on the field. Why should we fire the manager before this homestand to suffice the bandwagon fan, or excuse me, casual fan? Because trust me, once that casual fan has his BAL up over .12 and Torres blows a save, it won't matter who's name is on that manager's door. That drunk casual fan will stand up and boo to his heart's content. Sure, we all deserve a winning product on the field. However, not to suffice the casual fan.

you are making my point for me. The stands are going to be filled with 'casual fans' for the rest of the season, because the tickets have been purchased. They are going to start getting vocal...

I'm glad you make a distinction between casual fans and diehard fans. I also did that, but I replace Casual with bandwagon.
I'm a die hard. I have not given up on Weeks, I know Prince will hit, I have probably been the biggest Gagne fan on this entire site and I will continue to go to games and watch games all season. But I still believe that this team just does not respond to Yost's managing style and they need a different direction, someone to light a fire under them and get them to play up to potential. I don't see Yost as that guy. Do I know for sure Kremblas, Simmons ir Sveum is that guy? No, but I think we need to make a change to find out.

(edit: pared back long quote --1992)

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Regardless of whether you call them casual or "bandwagon" fans they make up a majority of revenue for the team. Do you think most of us care about the stupid in game stuff they do at Miller Park? The dumb giveaways, Bernie Brewer sliding down his slide? Those are done for the casual fans. So like it or not, agree with it or not, the team absolutely takes them into consideration when making business decisions. Is it the deciding factor on whether Yost stays or goes? Of course not. But it's a factor. The main factor is managerial talent and in that regard Yost has clearly shown that at his absolute best, he is an average manager. Not the kind of guy a last place team needs to keep around.

Unfortunately it looks like splitting 4 games with a Triple A team is going to be good enough for Atanassio.

Unfortunately that is the state of affairs with this organization. Splitting a series against the least talented team in MLB is good enough to let yost keep his job. At this point Im not sure anything will get this guy fired. If he hasnt been fired by now its proof that the organization accepts mediocre and in most cases worse play from the team.

you are making my point for me. The stands are going to be filled with 'casual fans' for the rest of the season, because the tickets have been purchased. They are going to start getting vocal...

So why do we need a managerial change to keep their interest?

Do I know for sure Kremblas, Simmons ir Sveum is that guy? No, but I think we need to make a change to find out.
I have no problem with that. I have a problem with making a change to suffice bandwagon fans.

(edit: pared back long quote --1992)

Unfortunately that is the state of affairs with this organization. Splitting a series aganinst the least talented team in MLB is good enough to let yost keep his job. At this point Im not sure anything will get this guy fired. If he hasnt been fired by now its proof that the organization accepts mediocre and in most cases worse play from the team.

Right. I don't know very many businesses that triple their payroll, build up a large customer base and then think it's ok to offer an inferior product.

Archived