Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 3)

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if there's any significance to the fact that Attanasio, Melvin and Ash are now all scheduled to be in Washington tomorrow for the game? Is a change afoot?

Did you know? Of the 17 mlb managers who have managed in the big leagues prior to 2006, only two have failed to take their team to the postseason as major league managers. Ned Yost and John Gibbons. At least Gibbons has the excuse of managing in a division with the Yankees and the Red Sox.

Memo to Doug Melvin and Mark Attanasio: No one, and I mean no one, will be able to accuse you of not exercising patience. But they sure as heck can accuse you of accepting failure.

Sidenote: I found the above nugget in a Denver Post column. Yes, they are calling for Clint Hurdle's head less than a year after appearing in the World Series. Yet, Yost bashers get criticized for expecting better results out of a guy who has been given 6 years to get the job done.

I wonder if there's any significance to the fact that Attanasio, Melvin and Ash are now all scheduled to be in Washington tomorrow for the game? Is a change afoot?

Where did you hear that Pedro? Man if they are all gonna be in for the game I hope this is finally it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Disclaimer: The following quote is taken from an internet blog ranking the top 5 managers most likely to be fired...

2. Ned Yost, Brewers

- Ned Yost's aggressive attitude in the clubhouse and on the field has turned some players off, in turn, dampening the mood in the clubhouse. Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder have expressed a lack of confidence and that comes directly from the manager's attitude in the clubhouse.

http://www.bleacherreport.com/articles/25147-The-Morning-Word-Top-Five-Managers-To-Be-Fired

Not sure who the author's sources are but it matches up with what my eyes are seeing on the field.

Interesting. I guess if Powell knew about it, it was something planned in advance. But why fly in for just one game when the team will be back home on Tuesday? On the other hand would Gord Ash have to be there for a Yost firing. Maybe he just wants to be in on the fun.

If this team loses tomorrow with Sheets on the hill, in front of all the suits, and Yost doesn't get the ax, the probability that Yost will not get the ax until after the season increases greatly.

Provisional Member

Is it really Yost who is the one not being accountable. It's been two years since the Brewers should have realized they needed better starting pitching, and all we have to show for it is an overpayed #4 starter. I think the Brewers start is largely on Melvin, as is last year's collapse. Yost can't pitch, and he can't field for these guys. To his credit, and his staff's, as well as growing players, in particular Braun for already being an average LFer, the fielding is better, though it's probably topping (as JJ will never develop range, Ricky will never be smooth, and Prince will never be tall).

I'm not a huge fan of Yost's bullpen usage, but, it's hard to put much blame on him as the starters go seven innings once a week. He used the bullpen to the point of exhaustion last year, do we really want that this year too?

The only way this team gets better is if Melvin finds a legit #2, and probably another Suppan type.

I found it while reading Jim Powell's blog.

It's probably a planned trip given the new stadium and all...but hey, as long as they're all in Washington...

Yeah may have been planned, but like you said since they are all there why not let the hammer fall and axe Yost and let Kremblas or Simmons know they will now manage the team from here on out.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I've been thinking about Haudricourt's report when DM revealed to him that he had picked up Ned's 09 option 4 months earlier. My thinking then and stll do think that picking up Ned's option was a really bad move. Ned's not a lame duck manager, he's simply a terrible manager that should've been gone. By picking up his option, the team will have to waste an additional $1.1M to get rid of him.

Brewers pick up Yost's 2009 option

By Tom Haudricourt
Friday, Feb 8 2008, 02:32 PM

During a luncheon interview today to talk about the upcoming season, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin revealed he had picked up the 2009 option on manager Ned Yost's contract.

In fact, that option was picked up a long time ago.

"We picked it up after last season," said Melvin, who didn't seem to realize that the club never officially announced it.

Yost, 53, signed a two-year contract extension in February 2006 that went through the '08 season with an option for '09. Before Melvin revealed that option had been picked up, it appeared Yost was about to enter the final year of his contract.

"He's not on the last year," said Melvin. "I don't think it's good practice having people on the last year of their contract, having them perform that way.

"(Owner) Mark (Attanasio) is in agreement with that."

Yost has managed the Brewers for five seasons, compiling a 374-435 record. He led the Brewers to a 83-79 record last season, the club's first winning year since 1992.

But the Brewers led the NL Central for most of the year before fading and finishing two games behind the Cubs, which prompted many fans -- including respondents to this blog -- to bash him and call for his exodus.

Of course, just because Yost's option was picked up doesn't mean he can't be fired if the team collapses this year.

"People are fired in the middle of contracts," said Melvin. "It doesn't matter whether contracts are picked up or not. I could be fired, too, and I have two years left on my contract."

Nevertheless, Melvin expressed support and confidence in Yost, and said his job would not be on the line if the club got off to a slow start.

"We got off to a fast start last year and look what happened," said Melvin, noting the team's 24-10 start didn't result in a division crown.

In the article, Melvin said that Yost could be fired in midseason this year if the team is still performing poorly. I wonder if this is just lip service by Melvin to appease the numerous angry fans? Because now would be high time to fire Ned, Doug. Callup Kremblas now.

Ned Yost, Brewers

- Ned Yost's aggressive attitude in the clubhouse and on the field has turned some players off, in turn, dampening the mood in the clubhouse. Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder have expressed a lack of confidence and that comes directly from the manager's attitude in the clubhouse.

If that's true, Yost is saying one thing in the media and doing pretty much the opposite in the locker room.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I just do not understand Yost's management (or lack thereof) of the bullpen. Granted, there's not a lot to work with, but if a guy pitched 2 innings the game before, and he's not usually a 2 inning guy (Mota), why bring him out for 2 innings the next day? The whole Gagne thing I don't get either. He's taken out of the closers role, comes in for mop-up duty, pitches 2 so-so innings and all of a sudden, he's back to being the closer again? That's one of the main things that has been killing this team so far this season.

If that's true, Yost is saying one thing in the media and doing pretty much the opposite in the locker room.

This is what I've always believed.. I know people here rail for lack of accountability for the young guys, but I've always had the feeling its just lip service to the media in order to 'protect his boys'. I've always thought he is wound too tightly, as evidenced by several 'dressing downs' of pitchers publicly. I actually think the clubhouse is toxic but for the opposite reason.

"W got big hit after big hit after big hit," said manager Ned Yost. "You're down six. It shows this team is still fighting."

I'll put the end of that quote in blue for you, Ned. I'm sure that's what you meant.

That is how I see this organization at this point. This team is continuing to regress in every way possible yet nobody is held accountable and there is a complete lack of urgency about this season.
The problem with this team is that we're inconsistent and simply not that good right now. Just look at our pitching - Our rotation is comprised of one ace and a group of mediocre/inexperienced starters. Our bullpen is comprised of one reliable reliever (Solomon Torres), a good loogy (Shouse), two walk machines (Mota and Villanueva), and some recent call ups (Jackson, Dillard, DiFelice).

And "lack of urgency", what does that even mean?

There also seems to be no joy with this team. Usually with young teams there is an enthusiastic atmosphere and that just doesnt appear to be the case with this team. They are playing like the game is a chore and not a joy to be playing. Looks to me as if there is a very tight atmosphere around the team and the players are just going through the motions.

If things are to change with this team the whole attitude around the team must change. Obviously the players have tuned out Yost and the only way to change the attitude of the players and end the atmosphere where losing is acceptable is to change managers and maybe the GM as well. Losing is way too acceptable for this organization and that must change immediately.

Your points are completely contradictory - if they were content with losing there would be no reason for a tight atmosphere around the team. And I have no idea where you're seeing this "losers attitude." They were down six runs and battled back to tie it up. Sure, they lost the game, but they didn't quit.

If the players had smiles on the faces all the time and ran out to their positions like little leaguers, it might give some of the fans warm fuzzy feelings in their tummies, but it would make no difference in the standings.

Don't know if this was discussed elsewhere. It didn't end up figuring in the result due to Mota's wild pitch, but can someone please explain Yost's 9th inning defensive strategy to me? 1 out, men on the corners, tie game. And you bring the infield in? WHY? The only way you gun down the runner at home is if someone hits a ball right at an infielder...if that happens, why would you not be playing for a double play? Maybe I'm missing something here, someone please explain this. Many people defend Yost and say the players are responsbile...not here. It's overlooked because it didn't matter, but I don't get it at all.
I am not Shea Vucinich

Don't know if this was discussed elsewhere. It didn't end up figuring in the result due to Mota's wild pitch, but can someone please explain Yost's 9th inning defensive strategy to me? 1 out, men on the corners, tie game. And you bring the infield in? WHY? The only way you gun down the runner at home is if someone hits a ball right at an infielder...if that happens, why would you not be playing for a double play? Maybe I'm missing something here, someone please explain this. Many people defend Yost and say the players are responsbile...not here. It's overlooked because it didn't matter, but I don't get it at all.

Another thing about this strategy: The Brewers weren't holding the man on first, so as Mota delivered the fateful pitch, the runner on first broke for second and would have arrived easily. After the first pitch, the Nats would have had 2nd and 3rd with one out. I would imagine that Yost would have walked the batter to load the bases to set up a force at every base. So, the pitch that Mota threw was a meaningless pitch. Nice call, Ned.

Now don't take this as me applauding the team in any way, I think they are terrible.

Oh... good.[/sarcasm]

I want a manager and a team that have a killer instinct to get EVERY run and every win they possibly can.

Maybe if they'd done something like plated 6 runs in a single inning recently you'd feel a bit better.

The Brewers weren't holding the man on first, so as Mota delivered the fateful pitch, the runner on first broke for second and would have arrived easily. After the first pitch, the Nats would have had 2nd and 3rd with one out. I would imagine that Yost would have walked the batter to load the bases to set up a force at every base. So, the pitch that Mota threw was a meaningless pitch. Nice call, Ned.

Wow. Good original observation, DocBucky, & thanks for the addition, moof. Ned's decision-making has become even less logical. This team needs to try a new skipper. It certainly wouldn't hurt much to try.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived