Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 3)

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might be a vent thread post, but: if not now, when?

This team is meant to compete for the playoffs...I don't like it, but the buck ultimately stops with Ned. He is a losing manager and, as the leader, his underachieving team is four under and just got swept for the fourth time this young season. What is the debate here?

I'll be absolutely disgusted with Mark A and Doug if they let us lose 2 of 3 in Pittsburgh before they make a change. The time for patience with this team and with this franchise is over and past; the horses are here, something's not right, and a change needs to be made

Just some possibilities:

1.) Ned gets axed quickly, with the idea that the team, as presently constructed, still can compete in the division for '08, provided that it gets a shot in the arm with new leadership and benefits from a move or two (for, say, another starting pitcher).

2.) Ned twists in the wind for awhile, perhaps until the All-Star break, and then gets axed when it's clear that the entire season is irrevocably down the tubes. There is some roster tweaking at the trade deadline (maybe for the requisite Ranger cast-off), but nothing major. There's a general sense that the team suffered from bad luck in '08, and that the core is still good enough to contend in '09.

3.) Ned twists in the wind for awhile, perhaps until the All-Star break, and then gets axed when it's clear that the entire season is irrevocably down the tubes. The team sells rather than buys at the trade deadline -- maybe even by moving Sheets for a slew of prospects. (They might even give up on Rickie at this point.) Mark A. also breaks out the checkbook in the offseason for some free agents. We're talking major overhaul here.

4.) The team muddles along and is respectable enough for Ned to keep his job until October. The roster remains generally set.

I could see any of these things happening, really.

Not a lot decipherable language, my employer's confidentiality agreements as well as this board's language policy don't allow me to go much further. I can tell you this, he is a passionate man with an ability to lead and get his players motivated in the clubhouse. In the media room, not so much.

A profanity laced tirade from Ned Yost? Now that you mention it, I do recall that type of passion from the dugout last year when Ned was getting purple at LaRussa.

I have no doubt Ned Yost can lead a team, but I do doubt he can lead a consistent winning team. The sooner the ties are severed the better for both parties. Ned is cashed and has nothing left in the tank. The players like him (so I've heard - not from any players though), but that doesn't mean squat in the win column (obviously). Time to go, its inevitable anyway. Get the show on the road!

A day off is perfect. Plus both Melvin and Attanasio are in Boston. Put Ned on a plane to Atlanta and be done with it. He'll be able to watch the Coca-Cola 600 in person next weekend.
Maybe Melvin and Attanasio aren't that smart to know that Ned should've been gone, after all they were the ones who picked up Ned's $1.1M 2009 option after last year's debacle. Maybe they are still blinded by the "passion" of Yost, or maybe they are blinded by their friendly relationship with Ned and are too nice to fire him.

I think they gave him the 09' season because they didnt want a lame duck coach, which I really thinks hinders a team. Am I the only one who keeps checking this site hoping to have it refresh and see a new post that says Yost Fired....I know we have some great insiders on this board, so I will continue to refresh lol..

ned yost was good for this team when we transformed from horrible to average.....now we need a guy who can take us from average to good and that guy is not yost

I kinda agree with this, however I don't think Frank Kremblas or Ted Simmons are the answer at getting over the hump. Since I can't see those guys taking this team from average to good, then I dont see a change this season? Who's available to come in mid-season to make this team good? Firing Ned Yost tomorrow doesn't suddenly make the Brewers a good road team, doesn't suddenly make the Pirates series a series win or anything else. It won't make Rickie Weeks field the ball better, hit the ball better, or any of those on the field things that are costing this team games. It might be a short-term motivator, but being motivated doesn't neccessarily translate on the field.

Here were some of Ron Gardenhire's comments after a poor performance by his Twins today:

"I hope we don't have to deal with something like that again,'' Gardenhire said. "Missing pop flies and failures to get runners in and executing, the whole package. A disappointing baseball game. Walking guys in big situations. Dropping throws to first base. I don't know how you prepare for all those things. We're not used to seeing those things. It's embarrassing for our organization and for our fans. (specifically addressing the problem, rather than pretending it's not there, or comparing it to poor performances from elite teams like the Red Sox).

"All I can hope for is that we have a little better performance,'' he said. "I can't accept that. I put that on my shoulders. That's my baseball team out there and we played a crummy game. I put that on my shoulders.'' (maintaining accountability and responsibility for the performance of his baseball team).

Perfect examples of direct honesty and accountability, which I feel Ned is greatly lacking and contributes to the lack of discipline on the team.

MoneyballMan wrote:
Seriously, there aren't really any viable candidates, so I'd be shocked if Yost didn't make it through the whole season.
Kind of like how there aren't any other viable leadoff candidates [*ahem* corey *cough* hart]. IMO, the Brewers are at a point with Yost where a cadaver would be an upgrade. FIND SOMEONE!!

Kind of like how there aren't any other viable leadoff candidates [*ahem* corey *cough* hart]. IMO, the Brewers are at a point with Yost where a cadaver would be an upgrade. FIND SOMEONE!!

I don't think anyone exists who can win with a team that has 5 of 8 starters getting on base under 35% of the time when only two of them slug for more than .450. Not when the pitching staff gives up an average of 5 runs a game anyway. BTW if Hart could be moved to leadoff without creating another hole at the equally important 5 hole protecting Prince I think Yost would have done that already. Why rob Peter to pay Paul? Moveing players around doesn't help when there simply aren't enough productive players to go around.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I was utterly SHOCKED to see that this thread had fallen to the second page in the ML forum! No one in the last 18 hours wanted to rip Yost? I guess everyone was so excited about that blog speculation that they figured they could ease up. SO, I just had to post something to move this back on up the list.

Seriously, I'm not a huge Yost fan (I think I've been pretty consistent through my postings), but I just don't see a viable option right now. Presumably, Simba would leave before taking over for his close friend. That leaves some managers with limited or no experience or someone like Buck Showalter who could make things worse. I'm thinking we're going to end up riding the Yost horse the rest of this season. I think DM is probably also getting a bit concerned that the organization has over-valued some of the young players (e.g. Hall and Weeks).

I kinda agree with this, however I don't think Frank Kremblas or Ted Simmons are the answer at getting over the hump. Since I can't see those guys taking this team from average to good, then I dont see a change this season? Who's available to come in mid-season to make this team good? Firing Ned Yost tomorrow doesn't suddenly make the Brewers a good road team, doesn't suddenly make the Pirates series a series win or anything else. It won't make Rickie Weeks field the ball better, hit the ball better, or any of those on the field things that are costing this team games. It might be a short-term motivator, but being motivated doesn't neccessarily translate on the field.

If coaches can't do any of that, what is the point of having them?

Here's a different question - assuming he's as good as gone sometime in the near future, what do you think it would take for DM NOT to replace him? Short winning streak? Players like Weeks and Hall to start hitting? A few quality starts in a row? 8 of 10 wins? Other? For example, if they go in and sweep the Pirates, does that take the heat off? Would they need to sweep two series in a row?

I think if this team wins 3 out of the last 7 games on this road trip Melvin will keep him. Its obvious by now that Doug is doing everything he can to let Ned keep his job. If he wasnt fired yesterday it seems to me that nothing short of an absolute collapse will get him out of here.

Archived