Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 3)

sheethead, I pared back the long quote in reply #1158. Please check the guidelines behind the "Quoting Messages" link at the top of most board pages.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cameron probably catches both those hits to center in the bottom of the 8th

At least one of them, which would minimize the damage. But Yost is to dumb to put a gold glover in as a defensive replacement late in a game. Yet he did it for Braun all the time at 3B last year, now I know Kapler is not a bad defensive player but he isn't Cameron that is for sure.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Verified Member

This is exactly the type of loss that makes everyone say "here we go again". I so badly wanted this team to win the first one on the road just to erase any doubts. Unfortunately, the stench of losing on the road still remains. I still dream of the day when we have a manager who is really good with the X's and O's of the game. What happened tonight was just absolutely disgraceful.

From now on, I don't care if the Brewers go undefeated at home for the rest of the season. I want to see some real progress in road games because this garbage is getting old.

At least one of them, which would minimize the damage. But Yost is to dumb to put a gold glover in as a defensive replacement late in a game. Yet he did it for Braun all the time at 3B last year, now I know Kapler is not a bad defensive player but he isn't Cameron that is for sure.
I'm confused, you just said a few days ago in the "Cameron vs. Kapler" thread that you didn't think there was that much of a drop off. Now he's too dumb to make the switch? Which is it?

(pared back nested quote --1992)

Ned is so stubborn it hurts, 2 very good points made by the Poster with Villy and not using Cameron.

----------------------------------------

exactly. the cv move, giving mota some work is possibly understandable--but he was left in too long. but the lack of using cameron as a def replacement is the most puzzling. this is a classic yosty.

Oh. My. God. This quote alone should be grounds for firing Yost. From the JS online:

Had the Brewers gotten Kendall home, Yost said he would have stuck with Villanueva another inning. Why?

"It's not a save situation," Yost explained.

Again, the formula. Villanueva would have been entrusted to protect a four-run lead but Mota got the call with a three-run margin.

"I just sat there, expecting to go back out," said Villanueva. "When the inning was over, they told me to shut it down."

Verified Member

Had the Brewers gotten Kendall home, Yost said he would have stuck with Villanueva another inning. Why?

"It's not a save situation," Yost explained

It reminds me of last season when it was very late in the year and Houston had the winning run at second base and we badly needed a strikeout. But Ned didn't bring in Cordero because it wasn't a "save situation". Instead, he stuck with Matt Wise even though Wise hadn't gotten anyone out in over a month.

Every fan in Wisconsin knew that Wise was going to fail, but somehow our braindead manager couldn't see it coming.

Since when is the 8th inning a save situation anyway? I'm sure he meant "hold" situation, but still. The fact that he has removed any managerial flexibility now for the 8th and 9th innings is just plain silly. He may as well just leave a "rules for managing" manual in the dugout and go take a nap in the clubhouse. He's useless.

"It's not a save situation," Yost explained.

Man, if any quote ever summed up Yost to a tee, the above does it perfectly

I really wanted to go in the dugout after the game tonight (yes, I happened to be at this melt down.) and ask ned for my ticket money back. If a friend and I, who aren't at all baseball minds, say to each other, "why didn't Villy come back for the 8th, he had a 123 7th?", I think then it's obvious that yost doesn't have a clue. And then right after that say, "why aren't they taking mota out, he is getting crushed?"

When I can question yosts managerial skills with .001% of the knowledge that I would think a major league baseball manager would have, that's not cutting it IMO. Does Simmons just sit back and say "whatever you want, you're the manager" while grinning to himself, knowing that Yost is complete joke.

I know I might have had a few beers, but I deserve to vent and drink a little after that showing. Better start brewing another batch, cause it's gonna be a long season.

"Mota's been our eighth-inning pitcher the majority of the year," said Yost. "We went to our eighth-inning pitcher."

Idiotic. But is this just Yost or have most managers extended the idiocy of the "closer" usage formula to the 8th inning?

These formulas seem like a good way for the manager to dodge blame for decisions in individual games. "Hey, it's not my fault, our 8th inning guy just did not do his job".

Man, if any quote ever summed up Yost to a tee, the above does it perfectly

or this one....
"Mota's been our eighth-inning pitcher the majority of the year," said Yost. "We went to our eighth-inning pitcher."
This is my most recent favorite...

Prince is swinging the bat a lot better, to the point where we had first and second and nobody out and I was afraid to run the runners because I thought he was gonna rip a line drive to one of the infielders and hit into a triple play.

Wow, Yost. Save situation? Are you kidding me? And he actually proclaims that if the Brewers had scored one more run Villy would've returned for the next inning. I didn't know 3 run leads were so much more difficult to hold than 4 run leads OR that inferior pitchers were more acclimated to holding said 3 run leads as opposed to 4 run leads. This is one of those .5 games you can put on Yost.

There were a lot of factors that led to the loss last night. I thought the worst mistake was allowing the first batter to get a hit. Every pitch was down and away and why Kendall didn't call for an inside fastball I don't know . The kid wouldn't have hit it. The next unfortunate play was that Weeks didn't catch what looked like a catchable ball, but then again he seems to have a lot of trouble catching line drives that look like he should catch. Counsell would have been a good replacement for Weeks in that situation but that doesn't ever happen. I also agree that Cameron would have caught Helton's long drive and he should have been playing defensive in the 8th inning and he may have caught the ball hit to right center field also. Of course the roster problems continue to impact this team--those being only one left-handed relief pitcher and too many pitchers on the staff. It sure was a bad loss.

This team is good enough to make a run at the playoffs but this dope is always making clueless moves. If there is any ballpark where you need to play your best defensive outfielder its Coors Field which has by far the most outfield space. kapler isnt bad defensively but Cameron is golg glove quality and needed at the very least to be in there in the late innings. As far as taking Villy out and putting Mota in well what can I say; its a classic yost move. Quotes such as "it was a save situation" and "mota has been pitching the 8th inning" just go to prove that ned is a complete dope that is incapable of learnings how to manage.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

For a guy who sat on Bobby Cox's bench for as long as he did, and having run this team for as long as he has, it's mind boggling that the guy can be this unimaginative when it comes to in game management. Clearly, the Brewers could program a robot dog from Target with the necessary Yost-isms for who to put in at what times, and manage the game just as well.

Yost's inflexibility is a detriment to the team. It's one thing to have a plan, but one has to recognize when it's necessary or beneficial to deviate from the script.

When is the Ned nightmare going to end? He deserved to be fired 2 years ago for dumb decisions such as this. Why pull your best reliever out of the game at that point in the game? I understand about getting a guy work but right then?

Ned's excuses just get weaker and more pathetic game after game. For the poster that said a amanager does not cost a team games this is a defining example of the Yost ERA in Milwaukee. He is Mike Sherman to a T.

In my line of work, supervisors and managers get demoted from doing things continually such as this but Melvin and Annastasio keep letting this happen. How can it unless you allow it? I mean "It wasn't a save situation if Kendall scores"? How does this affect Mota in any way? I thought they did away with the Hold stat in the majors 15 years ago?

Can we get Estrada back?

"We had the guy we wanted in there. When that happens, you know they beat your best."

That is another quote from yost in regards to Mota. Since when is Mota a good pitcher that yost should have complete confidence in. Even Haudricourt who never questions yost seems to realize that yost blew this game completely.

I thought they did away with the Hold stat in the majors 15 years ago?

The hold stat is alive and well and can be seen in practically every box score. The game winnning RBI was the short-lived stat that would have died 15-20 years ago.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived