Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 3)

I rescinded a bit, but he could have staved off some boos had he went to the mound first before making the move. Something you think he would learn after 6 years. My point remains the same, Yost is ultra unlikable.
I would think that Yost told Sheets the situation before the start of the inning.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My problem with today's lineup was Dillon at 2B when you have three options that are so much better defensively (Hall, Weeks, Counsell (with Hardy or Hall fielding SS). There were two balls today that a normal 2B gets to that Dillon missed on. It didn't matter today of course, but Dillon at 2B for non-emergency purposes is weird.

That actually reminds me of something I was thinking about during the game. Does anyone have any insight as to how Hall would feel about being more of the uber-utility player again for a little while? I thought he would have been a better option at 2B also (defensively, at least), or, as you mentioned, playing SS with Counsell at 2B. It's not like Hall really needed a day off since he's only really playing against lefties. I can't really believe that Hall has regressed this much in two years in his late-20s, and not playing him at all right now seems pretty pointless.

I just wonder if maybe Hall is more focused on earning back his spot at 3B and doesn't want to fall back into the utility role, but he's not going to do that if he doesn't face any righties.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Yost could put Hall at 2B, but when's the last time he's actually played the position? Dillon works his best to be able to play 1B, 2B, 3B, and LF and he does a decent job. Hall would have played a better 2B today defensively, but Dillon's bat is more valuable right now because he can actually put the ball in play vs a RHP so I have no problem with Yost's move here. The move was for offensive purposes.

My problem with today's lineup was Dillon at 2B when you have three options that are so much better defensively (Hall, Weeks, Counsell (with Hardy or Hall fielding SS).

There will always be a better option than Dillon for one reason or another. That is pretty much the definition of a bench player. They still need to play once in a while both to keep them happy/sharp and to give the regulars a day off.

I do my best not to get down on the Brewer fan base, because I know it is the same thing that happens with every other team and the same thing that happens at every job. Outsiders always know how to do it better. Just part of life, but it sure can take the fun out of work and following my favorite teams when I hear so much complaining.

Your whole post pretty much summed up my feelings in the issue Undrafted. This particalar part is pretty much why I stopped arguing about Yost any further. I'll just sit back and enjoy the season without the "should Ned be fired today," or "if someone else was the manager we'd have won that game," part of it and have a better time. When the season's over there will be plenty of time to debate whether or not he's the right man for this team.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The point is Dillon can give Fielder a day off. Or he can play 3B or OF. He just shouldn't be at 2B because he can't handle it defensively.

I have to agree with end. Dillon is basically out of position at 2B. There's no need for that.

I am not sure why everyone is so high on Dillon? He is the 25th player on the roster and if you ask me TGJ should be on the roster instead of Dillon. I can't remember the last time the guy got a hit.

Dillon was 2 for his last 6 in pitch-hit situations but failed 3 times in a row! Unnacceptable. Meanwhile, Gwynn was 2 for his last 23 and was batting .200 overall.

The point is Dillon can give Fielder a day off. Or he can play 3B or OF. He just shouldn't be at 2B because he can't handle it defensively.

I have to agree with end. Dillon is basically out of position at 2B. There's no need for that.

I can't see why Yost would not go with Hall at SS and Counsel at 2b, if he wants both Weeks and Hardy to have a day off. This also gives Hall a chance to improve his trade value by showing he can play SS and hit right handers.

Guys have to get days off throughout the season.

But isn't it odd that it always seem to be put the opposite way by Yost? Seems like he is always saying, and being quoted as saying, that he needs to get playing time for the subs, instead of saying the starters need an occassional day off.

Guys have to get days off throughout the season.
But isn't it odd that it always seem to be put the opposite way by Yost? Seems like he is always saying, and being quoted as saying, that he needs to get playing time for the subs, instead of saying the starters need an occassional day off.

It's a horse apiece. Who cares how he phrases it? Saying its odd is just a way to show your dislike for Yost.

Why exactly did Yost use Kapler as the pinch hitter with the bases loaded instead of Branyan? He got lucky that Reynolds made a terrible error and we were able to win the game but it was a terrible decision by ned. Also why did Counsell replace Hardy instead of Branyan replacing Hall in the top of the ninth? If we are making defensive substitutions how about taking out the guy that has made the most costly errors on this team. We may have won that game last night but it was despite of ned.

I can't see why Yost would not go with Hall at SS and Counsel at 2b, if he wants both Weeks and Hardy to have a day off. This also gives Hall a chance to improve his trade value by showing he can play SS and hit right handers.
agreed. insulting to hall not to do it. but would it be insulting to hardy if he did? hardy and weeks seem to be untouchable. if the crew is trying to shake it up a bit, i say play hall at ss or 2b as well as 3b. his bat will come around, then you can bench anyone of 3 players.

(fixed code --1992)

Why exactly did Yost use Kapler as the pinch hitter with the bases loaded instead of Branyan? He got lucky that Reynolds made a terrible error and we were able to win the game but it was a terrible decision by ned.

A 50% K rate for Branyan might have something to do with it. Errors can happen when you put the ball in play. Did the Brewers get lucky that Reynolds threw it away? Absolutely. But, you can get lucky on groundballs, not on strikeouts.

Why exactly did Yost use Kapler as the pinch hitter with the bases loaded instead of Branyan? He got lucky that Reynolds made a terrible error and we were able to win the game but it was a terrible decision by ned.

A 50% K rate for Branyan might have something to do with it. Errors can happen when you put the ball in play. Did the Brewers get lucky that Reynolds threw it away? Absolutely. But, you can get lucky on groundballs, not on strikeouts.

Also Kapler has proven he can deliver in those situations.

Also why did Counsell replace Hardy instead of Branyan replacing Hall in the top of the ninth? If we are making defensive substitutions how about taking out the guy that has made the most costly errors on this team.

It was not for defense. It was a double switch. Hardy made the last out in the 8th inning, so he was the one to be replaced this time. The pitchers spot was due up 2nd in the bottom of the 9th had it come to that.

A 50% K rate for Branyan might have something to do with it... But, you can get lucky on groundballs, not on strikeouts.
You can also very easily have a groundball turn into a double play. Branyan would have been very unlikely to do that.

Honestly, I can't get bent about this decision, though. The upside to using Kapler is that keeping Branyan available would have offered more double-switch options had one been needed later on.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Also Kapler has proven he can deliver in those situations.

So did Damian Miller, Gross, Bill Hall and everyone else who "proved" something in a small sample, only to prove the opposite in another small sample. Let's not pretend that Kapler has "proved" anything in 2 months.

Against a RHer, Kapler is way down on my list of people I'd like to see there. Did Arizona have a LOOGY available to bring in? If they did, that makes the move look much better.

I don't ever remember seeing a manager who uses so many pitchers unneccessarily. Yost made up his mind that in a game in which the opponent had put up but 1 meager run, he was going to use Villy in the 7th, Mota in the 8th, and Torres in the 9th. Why the heck would you automatically use 4 pitchers including Sheets if it wasn't needed? Does he not grasp the thought that if you commit to using 4 pitchers rather than 2 or 3 you are increasing your odds by a minimum of 33% that one of your picthers will be off his game. Not to mention the fact that when he brings in a reliever who doesn't have it he always leaves the guy in until the entire lead is lost and then some. I would ventyre to say that 99.9% of high school managers would have sent Villanueva back out there in the 8th after his dominant 10 pitch 7th. The man is a complete boob.

I don't ever remember seeing a manager who uses so many pitchers unnecessarily.
Bingo. Ned develops a plan in his head and when it goes awry, he doesn't/can't go to a plan B. I weep for the day he gets to manage a playoff game. My money is on it never happening, but man would he be an embarrassment to the organization if it ever did.

Archived