Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 3)

I'm sure Ben was pissed at him...good for him.

I think Ben was more pissed at himself for not getting out Berkman. If I was pitching, I would have.

Ben had to have known, with his pitch count getting up there, that if he let one batter on in the 9th he was probably going to get pulled.

It was a good move by Yost.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really do not understand today's lineup. We have some positive momentum going, probably going to be the biggest crowd of the year and we bench half of our starters all at the same time. Just makes no sense to me.

I think pulling Sheets was the right decision. How many times have we gotten on Yost for putting the team in a bad position so a player can get a stat? He didn't do that this time...he put the team ahead of Sheets adding another stat. I still don't like him, but I don't think that's something to get on him about.

I really do not understand today's lineup. We have some positive momentum going, probably going to be the biggest crowd of the year and we bench half of our starters all at the same time. Just makes no sense to me.
Now THIS I can get on him about. This is exactly why I don't bother going to Sunday afternoon games anymore. Every Sunday, Yost finds a way to get the entire bench on the field starting.

Give Hardy a Tuesday off every other week. Give Fielder a Monday off every other week. Mix things up a little and give guys a break on random days. But don't do it all on the same day!

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I don't really get on the lineups too much, but come on. Today is going to be a packed house, trying to get over .500 with a pitcher that could use the best possible line up behind him. I understand that you need to get the back ups in from time to time, but you don't need to get them all in at the same time. Other than the fact that I don't get a Braun bobblehead, I'm glad I'm not going to drive down there to see that lineup today.

I went to a game last June against KC and Yost put out a similar lineup. After dominating KC for the first two games of the series they went out with a "B" lineup on Sunday and lost the game. You just can't do that! One or two resting I can understand, but not 4!

I went to a game last June against KC and Yost put out a similar lineup. After dominating KC for the first two games of the series they went out with a "B" lineup on Sunday and lost the game. You just can't do that! One or two resting I can understand, but not 4!

That was the last Sunday game that I was at, I think. Was that the 12 inning game?

~Nottso

Who was the last player to get a hit off Sheets in that game though? Berkman drew a walk on 11 pitches, it is not like he hit the ball hard somewhere or anything like that.

His last two pitches were 89 mph fastballs and not even close. He was done.

Ah yes, Spurling came on in the top of the 12th with bases loaded to attempt to get us out of a jam. Nothing against Spurling, but that just wasn't his place. By that time the sun had been pounding on me for the past 3 hours, but that was quite a game. And it was an absolute waste of a good pitching outing by playing the B team and only mustering two runs, both of which I believe came on Hart's late inning homer.

~Nottso

rluzinski[/b]]2B Joe Dillon

CF Gabe Kapler

LF Ryan Braun

1B Prince Fielder

RF Corey Hart

3B Russell Branyan

C Mike Rivera

SS Craig Counsell

RP Dave Bush

I personally like the lineup. All the substitutes are for individuals who aren't "tearing it up". Joe Dillon leading off and playing for Weeks...I would like to see it more. At least he isn't benching Fielder, Hart or Braun.

This is a perfect example of how this team is happy winning two of three instead of going for the sweep. I have no issue with giving guys days off but so many backups on one day makes no sense. Im sure if we lose this game we will hear multiple quotes on how happy they are to win 2 of 3.

I am not sure why everyone is so high on Dillon? He is the 25th player on the roster and if you ask me TGJ should be on the roster instead of Dillon. I can't remember the last time the guy got a hit.

What are you basing this on? You may not be able to remember his last hit, but there are plenty of stat sites where you can go and realize why Dillon is on the roster ahead of Gwynn. Dillon can also play most positions, as opposed to just outfield.

~Nottso

I am not sure why everyone is so high on Dillon? He is the 25th player on the roster and if you ask me TGJ should be on the roster instead of Dillon. I can't remember the last time the guy got a hit.
Well there's been at least 3 threads I remember that explained perfectly why Dillon is a superior player to TGJ, anyone who thinks TGJ is a superior hitter isn't being objective. TGJ can play defense, but that's about all he offers. He's not a bad player, but I'd rather have Dillon at the plate than TGJ in any situtation that doesn't require a bunt.

You not remembering when he's gotten a hit doesn't mean all that much... but here's his last 10 games just refresh your memory.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This is a perfect example of how this team is happy winning two of three instead of going for the sweep. I have no issue with giving guys days off but so many backups on one day makes no sense. Im sure if we lose this game we will hear multiple quotes on how happy they are to win 2 of 3.
I'd love to hear your explanation of the sweep now. Is it that the Brewers magically captured the 'sweepiness' with a patchwork lineup, or could it possibly be that it's just incredibly hard to beat any MLB team three or four times in a row... and that sweeps are very uncommon?
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

They "seem" so... but imo it's probably just something that seems that way as opposed to a real lack of heart. I have to admit I shared your frustration with the lineup Ned trotted out there today. Even BA noted that it appeared Yost set it up by defensive position. That was comical.

Guys have to get days off throughout the season. I wonder if it is better to have your lineup at full strength for as many days as possible and run out all your backups on one day, or is it better to give one guy a day off at a time and have a less than best lineup spread over more days. In other words one big hit or a bunch of small hits.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The good point was made (can't remember by whom, sorry) that the replacements for Kendall/Weeks/Cam/Hardy aren't all that huge of dropoffs, given those starters' slow production thus far.

That said, I can't imagine running out a lineup full of backups once a week like Ned seems to do is a very good idea. To guess, I'd go with the lineup missing one guy every few days over the sort of 'black-hole' lineup that Ned throws out there like he did today. Maybe it's closer to even than I can fathom.

I really can't complain about the "B lineups". Seems to me that they have had a fair amount of success over the past year or so. Like Logan was getting at, is it better to have a mass substituted lineup or a bunch of smaller substituted lineups? I think Yost's philosophy has worked pretty well. A bunch of fans who drove a long way may be upset when they see the lineup, but if it works...

I think many of us forget how much we really don't understand how too manage a professional baseball team. How many here have even played or managed professionally? I have a tough time believing it is all that similar to playing high school or Land O Lakes baseball. I do my own taxes, but I sure don't walk in to the accountant's office at work with suggestions to do their jobs better. There is more to it that I will ever understand. There may be things I believe in very firmly, but that doesn't mean I really have a grasp on the situation or that I am right.

I do my best not to get down on the Brewer fan base, because I know it is the same thing that happens with every other team and the same thing that happens at every job. Outsiders always know how to do it better. Just part of life, but it sure can take the fun out of work and following my favorite teams when I hear so much complaining.

It was pretty clear he was booed because he took Sheets out. It was the right move IMO. But I also think Yost will start hearing boos no matter what he does. Its a sign. I never seem to get in the park early enough to hear him introduced, is he getting any boos at intros? Edit: thanks MD

I thought it was pretty obvious that the crowd wanted Sheets to stay in the game. Im confused why a few posts before you said you didnt think it was because he took Sheets out, more of a "hatred" for Ned. Kind of mixed signals, or im confused by what you wrote. Im sure more boos would happen during the introduction instead of when he takes the pitcher out in a 4-1 game.

I rescinded a bit, but he could have staved off some boos had he went to the mound first before making the move. Something you think he would learn after 6 years. My point remains the same, Yost is ultra unlikable.

Archived