Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 3)

Interesting to see some of the names who issue lots of IBB. Smart managers like Hurdle, Black, Cox, and Gonzales are all at the top. I have no idea how anybody could justify one IBB everyother game. A "good" IBB is always questionable at best in my opinion.

I'm thinking the number of IBB issued has a lot to do with situations and circumstances. Yost may just not have had the opportunities to IBB walk as many batters as other managers.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
logan's general argument is that the IBB is misused, & often the 'situation' doesn't actually dictate an IBB -- just that managers aren't aware of run expectancy, or whatever.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

sheethead wrote:

I'm thinking the number of IBB issued has a lot to do with situations and circumstances.

They do have to do with circumstances, but there are only very select times when an IBB should actually be used. Usually the "logic" for an IBB seems to be setting up a double play or not letting the other team's best hitter beat you. Even the best hitters get themselves out over half the time.

Yost is typically on the lower end of IBB year to year so I doubt it is as much not having the chance as not being a guy who believes in IBB.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Cox has always been thought to be a terrible in-game manager and strategist--ie carrying 3 catchers in playoff series, he just makes up for it by always getting the most of his players when they come up from the minors. He's done it too many times with too many average players not to have some effect.

No surprise yesterday to hear about how outstanding the Braves pitching was. We haven't struggled at the plate this year, we've just faced an incredible slew of Cy Young type pitchers.

It was fun listening to Ned recently make the excuse that we're not really a finished product, otherwise we'd be doing better. I don't get it -- there are plenty of YOUNGER teams doing more and yet we get the excuse train once again with Yost. How much time do we need to give them to expect a winning baseball team? Not until after their initial 6 year commitment with the team?

Yost has done an incredible job of keeping that bar nice and low. The most genius thing he has done is make it look like he's doing a good job if the team can crack .500 and an incredible job if he can manage this team to a winning season.

I'm amazed whenever I hear, "Ned's not going to make excuses." That's all he DOES is make excuses.

Yost has done an incredible job of keeping that bar nice and low. The most genius thing he has done is make it look like he's doing a good job if the team can crack .500 and an incredible job if he can manage this team to a winning season.

Nail. Hammer. Head.

I get the feeling that this is enough of an effort for enough people, hence the job security he enjoys. If I was Melvin, all I would need to do is listen to ONE of his pre-games on 620 to know that he needs to be replaced. Just plain awful to listen to. In contrast, the Cooper interview on FSN yesterday showed how much more polished and understanding of baseball in general he is over Yost. Everyday I am sad that Ned is the Brewers manager, win or lose.

I think one things that most annoys me about Ned is during EVERY SINGLE ONE of his press conferences after a ball game he never lets a reporter finish with a question, right when the reporter is close to finishing Ned just cuts them off and starts to answer with some nonsense.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think one things that most annoys me about Ned is during EVERY SINGLE ONE of his press conferences after a ball game he never lets a reporter finish with a question, right when the reporter is close to finishing Ned just cuts them off and starts to answer with some nonsense.

it's a defensive, aggressive, insecure coping mechanism. and it's weak. if he's trying to be Bobby Cox, he's not doing it right. whatever he learned from Bobby is not being translated into his current managing style. boo.

I don't agree with that. It seemed very clear that he was booed for coming out to take Ben out short of the CG.

Great move by Ned, and forget whoever was mad about it (Sheets included). I was very happy to see Ned come up out of the dugout to get Benny out.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would also assume that the booing was for taking Sheets out. The real question is was Sheets more upset with himself for not getting the third out or was he upset that Yost removed him without even going to the mound first?

I think Ben Sheets has earned the right to at least have the manager talk to him first before yanking him, with only one out to get.

I agree. But I can't remember Yost ever letting the pitcher try to convince him from the mound.

It was pretty clear he was booed because he took Sheets out. It was the right move IMO. But I also think Yost will start hearing boos no matter what he does. Its a sign. I never seem to get in the park early enough to hear him introduced, is he getting any boos at intros? Edit: thanks MD

I didn't hear the story, but I really doubt the only thing they were doing was wearing Fire Yost shirts.

Now if only they were wearing something more subtle, like a "Yosted" shirt...

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I never seem to get in the park early enough to hear him introduced, is he getting any boos at intros?
Friday night was the first time (of nine games we've attended this year) I noticed some boos when Ned's name was announced. It was noticeable but not dominating.

Earlier this season I saw a Yosted shirt (not the bf.net style, the firenedyost.com style) on a fan at a game, and he wasn't asked to leave. Admittedly, the word 'fire' isn't on the shirt (the website is abbreviated to FNY). Without more information, I'd join jazzytrav in suspecting that there was more to those fans' conduct than just wearing Fire Yost shirts.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It's interesting the T-shirt question came up. A guy sitting in front of me last night asked an usher about that. The usher said he hadn't heard anything about someone getting kicked out and he said that nothing has ever been said in their meetings about it.

You gotta leave Sheets in the game. Is bringing in Torres to get one more out really all that much better of an option than leaving the ace in to do it. Yost said it was strictly because of pitch count, which he had thrown 122. I think he could have gotten one more out and I am sure he has thrown more pitches than that in a game before. Why not let him finish the game? We are gonna have a hard enough time trying to resign this guy, let's not piss him off in the process!

As for the fans getting kicked out, I am sure they had more to it than that. They would have simply asked them to put the shirts inside out if that is all it was. My brother wore one of those F* em Bernie shirts to the game once and an usher just made him put the shirt inside out.

2B Joe Dillon
CF Gabe Kapler
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
RF Corey Hart
3B Russell Branyan
C Mike Rivera
SS Craig Counsell
RP Dave Bush

Does 2B have to lead and CF have to bat second? What a lineup. I guess the goal is to win series.

The last two pitches missed badly. Yost also had some questioning last time for allowing Sheets to pitch 123 against the Pirates. There was no reason to give the Astros any chance to get back in the game or to waste Sheets. If they didn't have Thursday off, he probably would have been yanked earlier. Yost was spot on. He was also right to make the decisive call right out of the dugout...just get it over with. I'm sure Ben was pissed at him...good for him. The guy is a competitor, but Yost was right IMO.

We got the win, Ben pitched great, Torres did his job, lets not make any more out of last nights game then needs to be. If it was worth an extra win I'm sure Ben would've stayed in for the complete game, but since it isn't it is a pretty much useless stat. Why even bother getting angry about it, I guarantee you Ben's anger was frustration with Berkman putting up a great at bat and for walking him rather than anything directed at Ned.

Yost, Sheets and everyone else knew that he could have finished the game. That had nothing to do with why he was pulled. In a game that was effectively over, why have Sheets throw 130+ pitches? Now, if it was a 1 run lead with the bases loaded and Sheets still throwing well, I'd probably want to see him stay in there.

2B Joe Dillon

CF Gabe Kapler

LF Ryan Braun

1B Prince Fielder

RF Corey Hart

3B Russell Branyan

C Mike Rivera

SS Craig Counsell

RP Dave Bush

That lineup with Bush pitching? I hope I don't see any "no killer instinct" bologna if the Brewers don't win this one.

That said, while I think it's silly to base your order on defensive positions, is there an obviously better order that Yost could have gone with? Accepting that Hart is going to bat after Prince no matter what, I'd say no.

Archived