Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 4)

Naivin, we've had this discussion before so many times. If you would like you can go back through this thread and find examples of Ned throwing players under the bus.

When I initially said this, I wasn't referring specifically to the example that was being talked about. The poster said that Ned was not wanting to bash his players publicly, and infering that Ned doesn't do that sort of thing and that he was consciously trying not to bash a player publicly. I think that's a fabrication of the truth. Just because he doesn't bash a player once doesn't mean he was actually trying not to. It's neither here nor there.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This game is Exhibit A this season about just how clueless Ned Yost is about in-game decisions and managing his bullpen.

Wonder what would have happened if we had gone with Mota when Tavarez was clearly done. Of course, we couldn't use him, because we had to "save him" for a later hypothetical situation.

Ned Yost plays the game like it's chess. He's always sitting there, stroking his chin, trying to figure out what his opponent is going to do 10 moves from now. Only when it's too late does he realize that while he was worrying about what his opponent would do 10 moves from now, he got distracted from what was going on right now and gets put in checkmate.

Good managers like Pinella don't manage like that. When they have an opportunity to go for a win, they go for it. If they have to burn up an extra reliever to do so, they do it. They adjust from there, but they don't let their worries about the future cause them to let their guard down in the now.

Another missed squeeze sign tonight. I guess that's on Sveum though.

Does any other coaching staff/manager make as many odd botches during a season, then chuckle about it after the game and say something like, "I had a mosquito bite and it itched!!" like it doesn't matter at all?

This game is Exhibit A this season about just how clueless Ned Yost is about in-game decisions and managing his bullpen.

Wonder what would have happened if we had gone with Mota when Tavarez was clearly done. Of course, we couldn't use him, because we had to "save him" for a later hypothetical situation.

Ned Yost plays the game like it's chess. He's always sitting there, stroking his chin, trying to figure out what his opponent is going to do 10 moves from now. Only when it's too late does he realize that while he was worrying about what his opponent would do 10 moves from now, he got distracted from what was going on right now and gets put in checkmate.

Good managers like Pinella don't manage like that. When they have an opportunity to go for a win, they go for it. If they have to burn up an extra reliever to do so, they do it. They adjust from there, but they don't let their worries about the future cause them to let their guard down in the now.

You mean you shouldn't worry about the 20th inning before the 12th inning is over?

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Another missed squeeze sign tonight. I guess that's on Sveum though.
Does any other coaching staff/manager make as many odd botches during a season, then chuckle about it after the game and say something like, "I had a mosquito bite and it itched!!" like it doesn't matter at all?

Yeah I don't get that at all. B&B were pretty clear on how it works tonight with a squeeze. Manager calls the squeeze, third base coach gives the sign. Batter is suppose to give a sign back. If he doesn't, the play is called off. Last time it happened Yost blamed Kendall. I guess this time he'll blame Suppan.

Fundamentals are killing us.

Mota was available, but he needed rest since he pitched on Wed and Thurs. Was slated to go in the 13th if it got that far.

We dont worry about tomorrow in an extra inning game. We play to win today's game.

Thus sayeth the Ned, apparently not seeing any contradiction.

I didn't really puy this one on Ned, as the guys mucked it up and were only bailed out by 3TO. But these post-game nuggets, even if meaningless to Ned, have to make you wonder, even if you like the guy.

Granted I think Hart lost the game, but Ned Yost is an awful manager no question.

I'm not sure I buy that. Yeah, Hart made an error but if he doesn't and the Brewers get out of the inning without giving up a run does Ned really pinch hit Iribarren for Branyan? I doubt he does. Unless Iribarren hits a homer or starts a rally the game is likely going to extras anyways.

Yeah, it was all Yost again, wasn't it?

Look at what happened. I personally thought Suppan was losing it in the 7th and should have been pulled. I was wrong. Suppan still had stuff to get out of the inning. The Brewers staff was right - I was wrong. Then Villanueva pitches the 8th, which some people no doubt would like to see, since he's been impressive lately. No problem with me either. Except Villanueva doesn't have it tonight - nothing you can do. Yost gives him a bit of a chance but then goes to our LOOGY Shouse. Shouse gives up the tying run anyway - nothing you can do. Yost then makes a double switch, bringing his closer in for the eighth inning - this is an aggresive move. Torres prevents further scoring. He wouldn't have given up any runs except for Hart's Little League error in the 9th. In fact, Torres pitches 2.1 innings, which he's certainly capable of doing and which was the right move given the closeness of the game. Yost also double switched to get those innings out of Torres.

Meanwhile look at what the opposing manager, Gardenhire did. Got 6 innings out of the starter and 2 out of the setup man, Crain. When Nathan (the Twins' best reliever, which isn't always the case for a closer) gives up the lead, it's one run. He could have been given another inning - he wasn't hit for. Gardenhire just pulled him because "it wasn't a save situation anymore." This is the classic cookie-cutter managing people should be complaining about. The guy who came in for Nathan, Guerrier, isn't nearly as good. But since Nathan hasn't pitched more than an inning all year, Gardenhire just can't ever pitch him for more than one. So after Guerrier exits because of a pinch hitter, the Twins bring in Brian Bass, who's got a 5.48 ERA and worse stats. Now if the Brewers can actually get a run off these hittable guys, they win the game. But except for Branyan and Fielder, the Brewers have a difficult time even approaching 1st, so it doesn't happen.

To me Gardenhire's "save situation only" methodology was a far worse move than anything Yost did. They won anyway because the Brewers couldn't mount any sort of late inning rally.

Letting Tavarez pitch to the heart of the order after scraping by a miracle inning the inning prior is an absolute joke, and I was yelling at him to take Tavarez out before he even pitched to Mauer/Morneau. That was about as predictable a blowup as you could have. And if you're going to ask me who I'd bring in, I'd go Dillard over Tavarez based on what he's shown so far all day every day, especially since Tavarez had already thrown an inning. And since when does Mota need two days rest after pitching two innings?

Yes, Prince's HR was a matter of inches, and yes Hart messed up in the field, but that doesn't mean you get to stop managing.

I'm done with Yost, the guy is a bum.

I don't understand why he didn't go to Shouse against Mauer in the 8th. He's a career .288/.348/.348 hitter against lefties compared to .328/.419/.508 hitter against righties. It would make sense to use Shouse to face Mauer/Morneau/Kubel portion of their lineup and either give us the advantage or force Gardenhire to pinch hit for one of them.

I'd go Dillard over Tavarez based on what he's shown so far all day every day, especially since Tavarez had already thrown an inning. And since when does Mota need two days rest after pitching two innings?

Didn't Dillard get shelled the night before and throw a lot of pitches? Mota hasn't been very good lately, he needs some time off. It's a 162 game schedule, not 162 game 7's of the world series.

I'd go Dillard over Tavarez based on what he's shown so far all day every day, especially since Tavarez had already thrown an inning. And since when does Mota need two days rest after pitching two innings?

Didn't Dillard get shelled the night before and throw a lot of pitches? Mota hasn't been very good lately, he needs some time off. It's a 162 game schedule, not 162 game 7's of the world series.

You're right, lets just have Tavarez, a guy who sucks anyway and hadn't thrown that many pitches in years just lose the game for us. I mean, it's only one game right? If we lose the wild card by one game will you still think this way?

I'd take Dillard any day over a second inning of Tavarez, especially when we saw what Tavarez had to go through the inning before.

Dillard gave up 5 runs and threw 32 pitches to the same Twins team the night before. I would not have put him in again tonight.

I would rather lose one game tonight than have a stretch like last July/August with a completely fumed out bullpen leading to stretches where we lose 8 of 10 games. It's the middle of June, guys are starting to break down. The last thing the team needs to do is keep grinding everyone down. I know a lot of people think it doesn't take much to run 90 feet or throw a ball, but I think an MLB is tougher schedule than is given credit for. This isn't high school baseball playing 2-3 time per week.

Dillard gave up 5 runs and threw 32 pitches to the same Twins team the night before.
How many of the runs were earned?

That doesn't matter at all, neither of Julian's were earned tonight. On that theory Julian was a fine move.

That doesn't matter at all, neither of Julian's were earned tonight. On that theory Julian was a fine move.

Even if they weren't earned runs (all four of the runs he gave up were earned) it was still a terrible move considering the way he pitched in the 11th.

He's a terrible move every time he's in the game, as he shouldn't even be on the team. Obviously Mota was unavailable tonight, and as soon as Tavarez let someone on in the 12th DiFilice was up in the pen. Unfortunately it takes a couple hitters to get loose.

He's a terrible move every time he's in the game, as he shouldn't even be on the team. Obviously Mota was unavailable tonight, and as soon as Tavarez let someone on in the 12th DiFilice was up in the pen. Unfortunately it takes a couple hitters to get loose.

After the 11th, where he was very lucky to escape unscathed don't you think it would've been smart if Ned would've had somebody warming up in the pen before the inning even started?

Yea, he should have. Regardless, the option is still Difilice, who still got hit hard when he came in. I still maintain it's not ANY managers fault when he looks in the bullpen to see those two guys as his options for the 12th. Those are the guys DM gave him to work with, and as we all know, you can't pretend your Pinto is a Jag.

Dillard gave up 5 runs and threw 32 pitches to the same Twins team the night before.
How many of the runs were earned?

Not sure how you are getting that. Three runs scored before an error was even made. All four runs were earned -- and Tavarez definitely earned them.

Archived