Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 4)

I used to be more of a supporter of Yost, but not so much anymore. His bullpen management has always bothered me, but last night's game and some of his comments of late clinched the deal for me. About a month ago, I figured he would be gone by now, but the homestand saved him. I'm now guessing that Ned won't make it past June 26. I don't think that the rest of this roadtrip looks good, and I don't think the next homestand will go so smoothly either. After three games in Atlanta, I think Ned gets the boot.

-----

Continued from:

viewtopic.php?p=372863#p372863

Original Lead:

viewtopic.php?t=12043

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand why the team's best centerfielder wasn't in the game in the later innings. Cameron is a gold glove winner. I think Cameron gets the first ball, and has a chance at the second.

Ned says says otherwise...

Yost denied the chatter circulating in Brewer Nation that Colorado would not have scored five runs in the eighth inning Friday had he put Mike Cameron in center as a defensive replacement..."Kapler is a fine defender," Yost said.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=759697

Of course the question is not whether Kapler is a "fine" defender or not, it is whether he has as much range as Cameron. It's also not about whether or not those paticular plays could have been made, it is whether or not there are some plays that Cameron could make but Kapler has no chance at.

I don't think I have ever been as mad at Yost as I am now after reading that link to jsonline. He is such a stubborn man who is so overmatched it is not even funny. He should be in the woods hunting and fishing....please Mark just let him have his wish

Of the game in Washington, Yost said, "That wasn't a bad outing. He came in after going two innings the day before and had a very clean first inning, then walked a guy on a 3-2 pitch, gave up a base hit, which made it first and third, and then wild-pitched him home.

So is he admitting he shouldn't have left Mota in there for the Washington game?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

So is he admitting he shouldn't have left Mota in there for the Washington game?

I was gonna point this out too but I couldn't remember if he had anybody else available in that situation. Yost can't take two steps without contradicting himself.

Have to give Yost some credit for going with Torres in the 8th inning today. If Torres is going to be used like that instead of just in the 9th inning, I have no problem with Torres as the closer.

There isn't much to be gained by listening to Yost. We aren't going to be getting anything insightful or useful. It is going to be mostly cookie cutter quotes and misdirection. If Yost was more honest instead of defending his players almost to a fault, I would understand taking something from what he says.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Not really. He brought in Mota because it was a save situation and "he's the 8th inning guy". That's not very consistent with what he did today, where he essentially brought his "9th inning guy" in for the 8th.

I think that's what gets me about his press conferences. He can make a decision on the field that completely contradicts the things that he's said in the past, then in the post-game press conference he'll defend it by making it seem like it was the obvious decision. He made a comment the other night that basically told us that he's a robot, then today he manages his bullpen differently. I don't get it.

If we ever reach Game 7, I hope the good Ned shows up.

~Nottso

I think the decision to bunt with our 5 hole hitter and a lead is about as dumb as it gets.

Anderson today: "Maybe Ned left it up to Corey whether he wanted to bunt or not".

Schroeder: "Do you really think Corey wanted to bunt?" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

When it is all said and done, execution or lack of it is at the heart and center of what happens. But, the manager has to put the players in a position to succeed. If Cameron is in center, does he field the ball that Kapler botches? Probably. Could that have cost the Brewers the game? Again, because Torres executed his job and got outs, it doesn't matter. It just frustrates me that Ned makes these silly, illogical moves, and comes up with stupid explanations and I don't think he's putting his players in the best position to succeed all the time.

I think Ned Yost is putting his players in the best position to win. The problem is when the players DON'T go out and do their job.

Was not pinch hitting for Soup and then sending him back out for the 6th putting the players in the best position to win?

Was having Hart bunt Braun and Fielder to 2nd and 3rd with no out with Hall and Hardy coming up putting the players in the best position to win?

I agree with you that the problem is when the players don't do their job. They are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to millions of dollars to play a game where consistently doing your job 30% of the time makes you great. But then why have a manager? To me, it's to put those players in the best position to do their job well.

If you think Dillon is best at 2B then you and Ned make a group of two

Thanks for the condescending remark, but anyways, if I recall correctly, Joe Dillon had a great game today and was probably the reason we won because of his offense, and the error he committed was overcome by great pitching. Does Joe Dillon play below average defense at 2B? Yes. Does Joe Dillon produce above average offense at defense? Yes. Looks like that decision turned out ok.

Bill Hall is a much better defensive 2nd baseman than Dillon. Move him over to 2nd for the day and put Dillon at 3rd. This really isn't that hard.

No one is saying not to play Dillon. I've been pushing for Dillon playing more all year. But playing him out of position is not what I meant.

~Nottso

If we ever reach Game 7, I hope the good Ned shows up.

I am pretty sure good Ned doesn't exist. However, the real Ned sure wanted a cookie after the game today because he used his brain, and Torres in the 8th, to get the win.

"We were doing everything we could do to try to salvage the series," the Brewers skipper said."You shoot the moon. I can't ever remember bringing my closer in in the eighth inning for a five-out save on the road. We did whatever we could do to win this ballgame."

The fact that you can't remember, Ned, means you probably haven't done it. How does it feel to use your brain instead of the manual and get the team a win? See, its actually kind of easy isn't it? Had Torres blown the game, at least you tried, and there wouldn't have been the type of backlash like after Friday's game. Here you go Ned, one cookie (but no milk until you show you can do it again).

My birthday is coming up soon, and all I really want is a new Brewers manager. So if you're reading Doug (haha)... I know you don't know me personally, but I love the Milwaukee Brewers, and Ned Yost is an embarrassment to my love.

P.S. Thanks for another loser road trip, too bad I never get to see the Sunday games.

I

"We were doing everything we could do to try to salvage the series," the Brewers skipper said."You shoot the moon...

Then how about allowing one of your best run producers to try to drive in an important insurance run instead of hoping Bill Hall will come through against a right handed pitcher.

You shoot the moon...

This is troubling. He seems to be developing a tendency to mix up common phrases and say goofy things that don't make sense. I remember this quote from a few days ago...

Mota didn't walk the ballpark.

What?

Archived