Brewer Fanatic

The Magical Magic Number is… (part 2)

liveforoctober

Woke up this morning, remembered the dodgers blew a 5 run lead in the 10th with 2 outs and no body on base and not a damn run crossed the plate yet ... yep, I still hate the dodgers ... and now I have to root for Ted, freaking, Lilly today. Yay

Edit: Then I got in the car and heard Sutton's call ... and now I hate him too. Whatever. Brewers handle your business and end this thing tonight.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The whole inning as a joke. Third guy should have been out but the pitcher for no reason at all, fails to cover first base. Then Aaron Miles makes an error later in the inning. They just handed them two extra outs and they hit a walkoff slam. It's just absurd and the fact that something like that may cost us homefield is just hard to stomach. I really hope I'm wrong and we win tonight but Greinke hasn't been very good against the Pirates and he's going on short rest. I'm worried.

If the Brewers lose a home series to a team they have dominated for years, with Zach Greinke on the mound and with no result mattering other than the result they make for themselves, I'd say they don't deserve home field advantage.

The NLDS has been played for 16 years.

Since 1998, when the format was tweaked so that the higher seed had home-field advantage, the team with the home field has an 11-13 record in NLDS.

In half of those 32 series, the loser has been swept. Seven of those 16 sweeps have been by the team without home field advantage.

In all those 32 series, we've only seen a total of 4 Game 5's (all in a span from 2001 to 2004).

All of the Game 5s have come in the seeded format and 3 of the 4 Game 5s have been lost by the home team.

In light of these historical facts, maybe it's way more important how you play than where you play. It would be great to get home field advantage in this round for the fans. I tend to think it would be better for the team as well, but frankly, nobody really knows. In the end, if the Brewers want it, they can go out and get it without worrying about anybody else. The question is, given the historical experience in the NLDS era, is it really worth getting too excited about one way or the other?

If the Brewers lose a home series to a team they have dominated for years, with Zach Greinke on the mound and with no result mattering other than the result they make for themselves, I'd say they don't deserve home field advantage.

The NLDS has been played for 16 years.

Since 1998, when the format was tweaked so that the higher seed had home-field advantage, the team with the home field has an 11-13 record in NLDS.

In half of those 32 series, the loser has been swept. Seven of those 16 sweeps have been by the team without home field advantage.

In all those 32 series, we've only seen a total of 4 Game 5's (all in a span from 2001 to 2004).

All of the Game 5s have come in the seeded format and 3 of the 4 Game 5s have been lost by the home team.

In light of these historical facts, maybe it's way more important how you play than where you play. It would be great to get home field advantage in this round for the fans. I tend to think it would be better for the team as well, but frankly, nobody really knows. In the end, if the Brewers want it, they can go out and get it without worrying about anybody else. The question is, given the historical experience in the NLDS era, is it really worth getting too excited about one way or the other?

The answer is no, except if the series goes to game 5, where the Brewers would get an extra home game and thus more revenue.

Which is why pitching Greinke like this is some huge game is stupid.

Funny thing is that Chase Field wasn't exactly jam packed last night.

Edit: Official attendance was 25,669.

you can still buy playoff tickets on their website too.

A friend of mine posted on Facebook laughing at the "20,000" people who left early.

My response was "if there were 20,000 there to begin with".

Those fans don't deserve that team. Neither do the Rays' fans.

How can people be mad at Darren Sutton? Are you serious? He is the Diamondback announcer. Why should he not be excited? It was a great comeback and moment in Diamondback history. At the end of the day it really shouldn't matter since we should win our game tonight. Darren Sutton loves Milwaukee. He still comes back every winter to work the UWM games. To me it came across as a friendly jab, I thought it was hilarious. Am I happy the Dbacks won....of course not, but I can appreciate when something special happens.

For all of you saying DFA the Dodgers and now hate the Dodgers, wow!!! This is the same team that beat the DBacks the night before, they also scored 5 runs in the top of the inning. We don't need the Dodgers help, we control our own destiny.

It's not the fans, it's the region--I used to go to plenty of Devil Rays' games and it's not the fault of that small band of die-hard fans that no one else in the Tampa Bay area can be bothered (for a variety of reasons, some good, some bad)

Anyway, yeah, I've always disliked the Diamondbacks since MLB had to bail them out after they bought their championship, and I feel both the Rays and Marlins have had their chances to prove themselves as viable franchises and have failed. Contract 'em.

How can people be mad at Darren Sutton? Are you serious? He is the Diamondback announcer. Why should he not be excited? It was a great comeback and moment in Diamondback history. At the end of the day it really shouldn't matter since we should win our game tonight. Darren Sutton loves Milwaukee. He still comes back every winter to work the UWM games. To me it came across as a friendly jab, I thought it was hilarious. I am happy the Dbacks won....of course not, but I can appreciate when something special happens.

For all of you saying DFA the Dodgers and now hate the Dodgers, wow!!! This is the same team that beat the DBacks the night before, they also scored 5 runs in the top of the inning. We don't need the Dodgers help, we control our own destiny.
Could not have said it better myself BCU. People are taking "You paying attention Milwaukee" (or whatever he said) as being over the top? Really? I think it was great and as the Diamondbacks announcer, of course he's going to be excited. Heck, if it was a game in mid-May with that kind of ending it would still be very exciting.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

How can people be mad at Darren Sutton? Are you serious? He is the Diamondback announcer. Why should he not be excited? It was a great comeback and moment in Diamondback history. At the end of the day it really shouldn't matter since we should win our game tonight. Darren Sutton loves Milwaukee. He still comes back every winter to work the UWM games. To me it came across as a friendly jab, I thought it was hilarious. I am happy the Dbacks won....of course not, but I can appreciate when something special happens.

Could not have said it better myself BCU. People are taking "You paying attention Milwaukee" (or whatever he said) as being over the top? Really? I think it was great and as the Diamondbacks announcer, of course he's going to be excited. Heck, if it was a game in mid-May with that kind of ending it would still be very exciting.

I don't have any problem with what he said last night necessarily.

I just think he's a terrible announcer.

I thought that I made that clear to. Sutton was fine going a little overboard last night altough the "Are you paying attention Milwaukee" line was a little corny/ridiculous. The problem is that he goes way over the top on a ton of calls. You would think they won the world series or were the worst team in the league in the span of a few plays. Charisma and energy are good things; Sutton just has way way to much.

[sigh of relief] [/sigh of relief]

I'm glad the regular season's finally over. What an incredible accomplishment this season to lock up a division title & HFA for at least one round. I was happy when they clinched the Central, but THIS clinch is the one I was holding my breath for.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Dgo2cIMPmrg/TH6eSpOkK0I/AAAAAAAAATk/SkB2HXtm3Ec/s1600/11NumberElevenInCircle.png

Really hope the Brewers win the World Series this year, this could be their best chance of winning it in a very long time.

They did poorly against teams with winning records this month, they need to step up and play even better in postseason, especially their offense.

Hope 2011 is Brewers' Magical Championship season.

Archived