Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 2)

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Including Hardy makes some sense if they feel Escobar can step in and start next year and Hall and Counsell can fill in this year. It saves The Brewers about 12 million over two years by trading Hardy now. That said, ot would be hard to see JJ go...the first of the new generation/wave of prospects amd of course, a fan favorite.

I can't believe that they'd trade Hardy or Escobar. Hardy, because he's the #2 hitter on the third best team in the NL. Escobar, because he's a top prospect and Sabathia isn't worth two of them.

I also don't want to see Green traded, but I could live with him gone. I still think something along the lines of LaPorta/Villanueva/Wright is going to happen.

Trust the organization guys, if they're being this aggressive, there's a reason.

My guess is, they've decided Sheets is out of their price range, and it would be better to move Prince than to take him up the arby ladder, so they're taking their best shot.

If they make this deal, they absolutely have a better shot this season, and for next season, you've got Gallardo back, and Escobar at SS.....essentially this year's Opening Day team, minus Ben Sheets. Go after it again in the winter, use Prince to get an arm like Matt Cain, and you've got three excellent young arms in next year's rotation, with plenty of offense left in the system....and another basket of draft picks to work with.

It's expensive, but I like it. If it's Hardy, LaPorta and Green...that might literally make me cry.

To those who say, "That's a lot to give for half a season of Sabathia"....come on now, Sabathia will sign with a big payroll team, and Sheets probably will too - the Brewers would OWN the draft next year, possibly five of the first 35 picks.

Look at the Brewers' track record of developing players - and tell me that isn't a big deal.

They won't get a draft pick back as high as LaPorta was drafted, it's not apples to apples. We're talking about someone much farther away from being MLB ready.

LaPorta hit AA in a year... you tell me how often that happens?

edit. A fair deal for both sides to me would be Laporta, Bell, and Periard... it's not often a team nets a top 20 prospect in a rental deal, that alone should carry some weight.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I have to admit that this is exciting. Even if they give away some hall of fame talents in the trade (not saying that that is likely), we've made it through 26 years of bad baseball. If the trade doesn't pan out and they never make the playoffs with this group, we can probably make it through another 26 years. I mean, it's not like having a bad or average baseball team to cheer for is the end of the world.

Would any of you feel better if Hardy or other prospects in addition to LaPorta were traded if at the PC to announce the trade, Melvin also announced they have signed CC to a 5 year deal?? Everyone just assumes they can't/won't be able to sign him. Says who?? People need to understand these are not Selig's Brewers anymore, these are Antanassio's and he has shown more then a willingness to spend whatever it takes to win. I have no doubts, that if he has given DM permission to pursue this trade for CC that he is at least going to make a competitive offer to him at season's end. That's the way that Mark A. does things.

I'd be surprised if they signed him to an extension. Even with a payroll approaching $100 million, paying anyone $20 mil/year is a huge chunk, and possibly a hindrance.

That's the thing - I don't want to pay ANY pitcher $20 mil a year for his decline phase. I don't want to roll the dice on this year alone either.

We've got a window no shorter than this year and the next 3. If we re-sign Sheets or Sabathia, I'd rather offer a ludicrous premium in the hopes that one of them might take a shorter extention. I'd pay $25 mil a year for 3 years much more readily than $20 mil for 5 or 6. I don't think either would be interested in that kind of extention though, because they can get a 6 year deal from somebody.

I can't trust the org after the Linebrink deal last year. I'm worried Melvin has somehow totally missed the fact that NOBODY gives up multiple premium prospects for rentals or expensive vets anymore. EVERYBODY values cost-controlled talent correctly now, even the Yankees.

I don't have a problem with trading an all-star, but I do have a problem with trading an all-star for 3 months of a player. Especially considering JJ has carried this team the last week or so! I am incredibly excited and absolutely terrified of the possible trades here.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

2 picks for Sheets, 2 picks for Sabathia

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

According to Buster Olney's blog, we would get FOUR draft picks if we traded for CC and he bolted.. What?

The blog said that we would then have FIVE picks in the top 35... So where do we sign?

Four picks refers to compensatory picks the Brewers would receive if Sabathia AND Sheets signed elsewhere...2 per player.

We have to consider the long term as well as the short term. But we can't just get good enough to sniff playoffs if we are going to make a move. If we make a move and lose valuable prospects, then we better be getting CC out of it. You don't trade anyone who could contribute next year for Randy Wolf or Greg Maddux.

So i'll tell you what...

Keep LaPorta because we all know Fielder is eventually leaving.

Keep Escobar and trade weeks.

Trade Gamel because he's just another player who will hit but play horrible defense.

If you can do all this and get CC with extra players included i'm all for it.

Honestly, Hardy and LaPorta might be the best scenario for the Brewers. JJ is red hot right now, so there's obviously a reason not to do this, but I don't think you could find one scout who would tell you to deal Escobar and keep Hardy.

I don't like the inclusion of Hardy at all. I would not want to see a Counshall platoon at SS. Bill's defense there would drive me crazy, and I think some people are too quick to discount the value an average or above-avg. all-around SS brings. I agree that these rumors are flying hot & heavy... and it makes me question the validity. So far, we've heard the following names (I'll probably miss one or two):

LaPorta

Gamel

Salome

Escobar

Hardy

Green

We're getting a little excited here, and I think the names we're hearing from 'sources' are speculation, probably based on who people felt the Indians were scouting -- I tend to think they'd 'cast a wide net' & just see who they liked, which could lead to a lot of speculation since they'd be scouting several players. I think the given seems to be LaPorta, and beyond that it really shouldn't take someone in the Hardy/Escobar/Gamel range to get a deal done. If that's the case, the Indians are seeking too much.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived