Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 2)

SeriesFinale, I would assume Bush would go to AAA to keep him stretched out as a starter. Mota might be DFA'd.

I was looking at Brewers salaries both on Brewerfan.net and usatoday.com. I looked at players that I feel are likely to be gone in '09-- Cameron, Gagne, Hall, Mota, Turnbow, and Capuano.

Taking all of their salaries and adding in Sheets' salary gives approximately $43 million in '08 salaries.

Give Sheets $19 million (5 years, $95 million)

Give Sabathia $21 million (5 years, $105 million)

That leaves about $3 million in the '09 budget, along with ticket increases, increases in revenues from '08's high attendence and possible playoffs, and projected '09 attendence. All of that should be able to sufficiently absorb the increases in salaries for JJ Hardy, Prince Fielder, and Corey Hart.

In theory, we could sign both pitchers to huge contracts AND preserve our offense. A rotation of Sheets, Sabathia, Gallardo, Parra, and ???? would rock

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, right after I posted that about Bush, I thought "Wait...just where would he go in the pen and why?", especially since CV has been quite effective in long relief.

If they get just one or the other of Sabathia and Maddux I'd assume Bush keeps his spot in the rotation and McClung takes over Mota's spot in the pen but who knows.

I actually think McClung could go back to the long man role with Villy being one of the late inning guys. I guess it could go either way, but I think I would feel more comfortable with villy in a tie game than McClung

latest rumor is Hardy & Laporta for CC. What do you think about that?
Seeing Hardy these last few weeks has changed my opinion. Really, Hardy has started embracing going to RF for the first time in his career. I wonder if we could put him at 2b or 3b long-term, and that's tough for me to say because I love how he's always in the right place at the right time. If it's hit to him, you know it's an effortless out, unless Prince misses the catch. I do believe that one day Prince will make a highlight reel for having a routine throw from SS/3b hit him in the face.

I'm not sure what scares me the most...losing Hardy, Green, or Gamel. I'd part with LaPorta before any of them. But I'd rather deal both LaPorta and Weeks/Hall.

Olney was just on SC and said that executives he's talked with expect Sabathia to go to the Brewers, and also expect that Sabathia doesn't make another start for Cleveland. I'm getting excited...

Buster Olney on sportscenter right now. 6 other teams are involved with CC, but he has talked to executives from those teams and they all think he is heading to Milwaukee and that he won't make another start for Cleveland. CC would be scheduled to start again Monday, so I would say if this gets done, it will probably be by tomorrow at the latest so he has time to get here, get acclimated, then start on Monday for the Brewers. Holy crap can you imagine the interest for tickets to that game??

I wonder if Hardy's streakiness is out of the ordinary. Because he can sure look terrible for months on end, kind of like Jenkins. But then he has these opposite kinds of streaks where he looks like an almost Hanley Ramirez type of hitter and you don't want to get rid of him because of the chance he could keep it up all year some year.

I dunno. If they want Hardy, would they give up Peralta? Or would they use one of them at 2nd? Peralta and Sabathia for Hardy, LaPorta and a low-level pitcher or two would be fine with me, I'm pretty sure. But would Cleveland throw in Peralta?

we would be absolutely NUTS to include LaPorta and Escobar or Hardy. If that's what it takes, count me out.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Good that Escobar is not in the deal, very bad if Hardy still is. LaPorta and Green plus a throw in is better than they'll get from anyone else, why go any higher???
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Honestly, Hardy and LaPorta might be the best scenario for the Brewers. JJ is red hot right now, so there's obviously a reason not to do this, but I don't think you could find one scout who would tell you to deal Escobar and keep Hardy. If this brings Green back out of the offer, that helps too, he's a player who offers high OBP, and he may fill a void at either 2B or 3B.

You are not going to get Sabathia for the stretch run, and two high draft choices for one stud prospect alone. LaPorta makes the most sense for the Brewers, based on the current roster, and Hardy could walk a lot sooner than Escobar, who may very well turn out to be better than JJ in the first place.

Peralta's career numbers are better than JJ's, I wonder what it would take to get him included in the deal if the Indians insist on JJ. Peralta would be a very nice placeholder for the rest of the year (and maybe 2009 as well).

I just think that if we're going to go for it this year, which getting CC would mean, that it would be tough to lose JJ's production, especially of late. He was an all-star last year, I would hope that an all-star and a #1 prospect would get you more than 2 months of CC Sabathia.

I can see why LaPorta would be going. He's another right-handed power bat. Power from the right side is definitely not something the Brewers lack. And an outfielder at that. Gamel is the keeper here because he bats left-handed, sorely lacking in Milwaukee, and adds a high BA to go with a good amount of power. LaPorta leaving just means that Gamel immediately shifts to the outfield in Hunstville so he can be ready to play the OF in Milwaukee next year.

While I would have liked to see a trade for CC, without one of the Hunstville 5, I can see how the Brewers could afford to trade LaPorta and still have plenty of OF candidates for Milwaukee next year. (Gamel, Brantley)

To those who say, "That's a lot to give for half a season of Sabathia"....come on now, Sabathia will sign with a big payroll team, and Sheets probably will too - the Brewers would OWN the draft next year, possibly five of the first 35 picks.

Look at the Brewers' track record of developing players - and tell me that isn't a big deal.

the draft picks would be nice, but that doesn't make us a playoff contending team in 2009 or even 2010.

Archived