Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 2)

I honestly don't worry about the defense anymore. Yes, it could be better than it is, but it's much better than it had been, I don't think the D we've got right now would prevent a playoff berth.

I do wish we had another lefty bat in there, but we don't.

The bullpen - yep, I want one more reliable guy in there. I like Villy as the long man, I like having the two lefties, and Torres can close, or be the setup guy - we need one more late inning pitcher.

There is not a better team than the Brewers in the NL East, or in the NL West. No matter how much Big Media hates that, it's still true. Are there two teams in the NL Central who are better than Milwaukee right now? I'm not convinced of that, and if Sabathia comes in - definitely not.

A move like this not only brings an impact pitcher to the team - it should ignite the whole clubhouse. If you're on this team, and you see a move like that, how could you not show up tomorrow with a major boost in enthusiasm?

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I hate to see the Brewers giving up prospects I have to agree that with Sheets leaving this is the season to make a run. This teams is flawed, I still think the bullpen is below average and our offense continues to avoid reaching it's high potential, but the opportunity is there and after a 25+ year drought the fans deserve a shot. I am not up on prospects like some here(reading the power 50 is as far as I go) but Laporta and Green seem like a fair deal and I would go higher if they would send a quality reliever in the deal.

They could still fall on their faces with CC but as someone just posted the trade would energise the fans and team. Plus after coming home from work and watching that debacle yesterday I really need something to get positive about with this team.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Agreed. the psychological impact could be huge, and an unmeasurable, underrated, affect. Sports are very emotional and I don't think we can truly understand the impact. When we obtain CC, we're telling everyone in the clubhouse that we have their back. Well, everyone but Bush and McClung.

Community Moderator

I don't think the Brewers are as good as their record indicates.

And I don't think the Cardinals record are anywhere close to as good as their record indicates. Right now, you've got the Cubs, Cardinals, and Brewers as three teams competing for two playoff spots. Sabathia gives the Brewers a huge leg up on the Cards for the WC.

Prince for CC makes the most sense. Then we drop gagne(10 mil) in the offseason, dont have to deal with Prince in Arby(8 mil) . Offer 18 a year to both Prince and CC. Let LaPorta play 1st this season. Find a taker for Suppan next year. If you need the money take someones scraps for Bill Hall. Keep Cameron.

Sheets

CC

Yo

Parra

Mclung/Bush/Prospect

A Push to the playoffs or WS would allow us to increase the payroll really significantly. It would make Milwaukee more attractive to Sheets and CC.

It all seems to simple from the outside looking in.

If we get him, he better be able to pitch through 8 innings, as our real need is someone who can pitch the 8th. I don't see anyone on the tribe that can really help us in this area, so hopefully Melvin will be doing two deals instead of just this one. I think the deal for CC will be done by the end of the day Saturday, and I have no problems giving up LaPorta. He is an asset that can help us get to the playoffs now. There will be more drafts and more prospects and more LaPorta's. Getting CC now will give him 2 starts before the all-star break and could really energize this team for the homestand.

Need a little help with my understanding of comp. picks... if we get CC and a type A reliever and lose both and lose Sheets but then turn around and sign a type A free agent pitcher in the offseason do we only get 4 comp picks?

It sounds like many people on here think that it is a certainty to get 2 picks for every player lost but my understanding is that they weigh what you lost and what you gained in free agency and reward picks that way. If we go out and sign someone elses type A we could end up with renting CC, aquiring another pitcher, and losing our prospects without actually gaining draft picks anyway.

Not quite. You always get sandwich picks. If you sign a type A free agent you lose your 1st round pick. So the Brewers would receive 3 picks (round is determined by signing team and how many free agents they sign), 3 sandwich picks and would give up their first round in that scenario.

My thinking today has been this.....

If we get CC, we follow it up with MAJOR offers to Sheets/Hart. By getting CC, Mark A is basically validating that he's committed to winning, and signing Sheets/Hart locks up our "core" for atleast 5 years (Sheets, Braun, Hart, Yo)... throw in that we have Parra for atleast 4 more years.... Find some way to trade Prince (in a three way deal for Greinke/Cain/Linescum), and we suddenly have our core locked up through the 2013 season.

Yes, it costs money, but the value of the Brewers will double in the next five years if we make the playoffs 4 or 5 times.... not to mention that we'd routinely be above 3M fans and have a MUCH better TV Deal

All Star Presser............ announce CC trade, Sheeter signs a 5 year $100M deal, Hart 5 years $40M Get er done

Interesting developments, This is from a guy that is in Cleveland (Posted this on the ESPN Boards) and said its from the radio station 1100 there in Cleveland.

sabathia will be gone before his next scheduled start and could be as early as tonight to the brewers for this trade

cleveland:

OF Matt Laporta

SS Acladies Escobar

3B Taylor Green

P Alexandre Periard

Brewers:

SP C.C. Sabathia

RP Masiya Kobiashi (i know i butchered the name)

cleveland:

OF Matt Laporta

SS Acladies Escobar

3B Taylor Green

P Alexandre Periard

Brewers:

SP C.C. Sabathia

RP Masiya Kobiashi (i know i butchered the name)

Good God, please say it ain't so Doug Melvin!

That has to be the worst rumor yet. My guess is they just put together every player they had heard rumored together in one trade and then heard the brewers would want relief pitching if the deal was too lopsided for Cleveland so they added the RP. Thats funny because some guy said Tom H said the Brewers offer was LaPorta, Green and maybe a low level pitcher for CC. That means we are giving Escobar for a reliever who is average

We are not a small market team
We are the smallest market in the game, with a middle of the pack payroll. People keep posting that "we aren't a small market", when it's entirely untrue, as we're the smallest market, which any number will bear out... fewest households, smallest TV contract... Many of us have reached a place where we want to win now and get to the playoffs so bad that we're losing sight of the truth. Sabathia isn't even the biggest issue facing this team longterm...

I know this whole thing is out of my control, and I'll be curious how this plays out through the winter. I stand by my opinion that giving up top prospects for a rental is not in the best long term interests of the team. This team has a realistic chance of making the playoffs without Sabathia, and that's the route I'd rather take. Somehow the articless that show the teams which sell the player end up better in the end get dismissed around here... I think history bears out that the wisest course of action is to unload Prince for top pitching prospects in the off season, than burn our prospects on the "chance" that something good might happen. I'd rather the team use it's assets to aquire longterm solutions, but I'm in the minority around here, so it's time to quit "raging against the machine".

This post is spot on and mirrors my opinion on the matter to a T.

Archived