Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 2)

I know we have struggled at times in our history filling 1B, but I just don't see the loss of LaPorta as that big a loss. I don't really want to have a RH hitter in that spot as it almost requires you to fill your OF with 2 LH hitters. With Braun filling one spot, that would force Hart out of the picture. Since 1B is the easiest position on defense, I just don't think it would be too difficult to find someone to plug in there w/o a big dropoff in production. Worst case scenario I can see that you stick with Prince for 09-10 and you find someone in that time, but for those of you wanting to trade Fielder for pitching I still think we could get by next year without either one.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the fact that we have a time sensitive offer. I was thinking that we might, but I'm guessing the Indians won't take the deadline too seriously and would expect DM to maintain most of his offer up to the deadline.

Why is that the case?

It is very difficult to find LH hitters at ant other spot on the infield as it forces them to make real awkward throws from 2nd, 3rd, or SS. Unless you don't mind throwing out a lineup with 1 lefty you have to put 2 in the OF.

I know there are some (Gamel, Branyan) and there are some middle IF that bat one way and throw the other, but it really does limit your options.

Betencourt is an older relief pitcher (33) that has had several good years in the past, 1 amazing year (last year- in which he may have been the best set up man in baseball), and 1 awful year (this year -where he has a 6 ERA, but ok secondary numbers). If his arm is healthy he would be a fine trade addition. Gutierrez has no place in this trade nor on our team. I am wondering if the deal is LaPorta/Green/Cain for CC or LaPorta/Green/ Villanueva for CC and Betencourt. The Indians need to make a decision soon, and I am glad the Brewers seem to be of a like mind on this with the hints of a depreciating offer.

If Cleveland gets too cute with this, they may end up with a lesser deal, though fans may never know about it.

I just read this quote on MLBtraderumors.com

1250 WSSP here in Milwaukee was reporting that the Brewers put an offer on the table that included Matt LaPorta and J.J. Hardy. I don't like the idea of giving up an all-star short-stop for a guy that wants 20 mil in 3 months. I'd love the trade if Cleveland took Bill Hall however.
Has anyone else heard about the possibility of trading JJ, or is this just WSSP callers making up rumors?

I just read this quote on MLBtraderumors.com

1250 WSSP here in Milwaukee was reporting that the Brewers put an offer on the table that included Matt LaPorta and J.J. Hardy. I don't like the idea of giving up an all-star short-stop for a guy that wants 20 mil in 3 months. I'd love the trade if Cleveland took Bill Hall however.
Has anyone else heard about the possibility of trading JJ, or is this just WSSP callers making up rumors?

Trading JJ came out yesterday in rumors Olney had, but TH spoke with Melvin and shot that one down in the JS blog.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Why is that the case?

It is very difficult to find LH hitters at ant other spot on the infield as it forces them to make real awkward throws from 2nd, 3rd, or SS. Unless you don't mind throwing out a lineup with 1 lefty you have to put 2 in the OF.

I know there are some (Gamel, Branyan) and there are some middle IF that bat one way and throw the other, but it really does limit your options.

Umm I hope you realize that some players throw right handed (which is what you're talking about here) and hit left handed. Taylor Green was drafted as a second baseman and hits left handed. Brian Roberts is a switch hitter. Reid Brignac, a shortstop prospect for the Rays hits left handed, Dioner Navarro, the Rays catcher is a switch hitter, Jason Varitek hits left handed. There are plenty of examples of this.

I listen to WSSP everyday, but spots like this really make me want to turn to AM540. The guys at 540 are WAAAAAAAAY smarter than 1250 but I like that 1250 is more of a listener friendly/call in station. I'd rather hear the takes of my peers than listen to the Dlists all time favorite Canadian athelete. Again though.....1250 needs to just hold their horses until something comes out.

I apologize if this should have gone in the vent thread, but it fit with the last couple of posts.

1250 is a joke. Gary and Cliff are the most boring and inane talk show "hosts" there are. Anyways, I think a lot of Cleveland fans are due for a big let down no matter what happens. Half of them are expecting at least La Porta and Gamel along with one of our second tier prospects.

Even if we get CC I don't see a rotation of Sheets, CC, and Parra in the playoffs because Parra will have pitched to many innings by the playoffs and will have to be shut down. Besides, wasn't the reason for signing Suppan so he could pitch in playoff games?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If they get CC and do the maddux trade they have a lot of flexibility down the stretch. Parra is at 93 innings right now. The goal is probably to keep him around 170. With about 14 more starts lefts and 80 innings that would be about 5 2/3 inning a start. So he would have to be shut down some. If we can skip four of his starts that gives him 10 starts at 80 innings much more manageable with flex in the playoffs. There are a couple longer breaks toward the end of the year where he could be skipped.

I had been thinking the same thing, it'd likely be Sheets, Sabathia and Suppan in the playoffs, with Parra there as the #4 guy for a start or two, if needed.

I'd love it if Gallardo was able to pitch a little bit in September, and then be there for the postseason.

My take on WSSP vs. WAUK is simple. With WAUK you get Drew Olson, Jason Wilde, Tom Haudicourt, and all the ESPN insiders and with WSSP you get Paul Wagner, Sparky, and Gary and Cliff...enough said. I agree though that WSSP is more caller friendly as WAUK is more information and guests. I'll take WAUK though because the signal is stronger and Drew Olson is the best talking head host on sports talk in Milwaukee.

On this trade front I wonder if no news is good news right now. I talked to my brother in law in Cleveland and the feeling is that the Indians would rather wait until the end of the month but they also realize that the more starts other teams can get for Sabathia the more they could get. The fans in Cleveland believe that more teams will become interested later in the process when teams have a clearer picture of what is the realistic playoff hopes thus driving the price back up. The Cleveland take is interesting because I think they are in shock that they are in a sell mode when they were talked about as a possible American League Championship. Many also don't have a clue who Matt LaPorta is let alone how good he is. This is why they think they can get more because they are just names.

As I type this ESPN radio is reporting that it is down to the Dodgers and the Brewers, with the Brewers offering Matt LaPorta, Taylor Green, and Cain while the Dodgers are offering Andy LaRoche, Chin Lung Who, Delynn Young, and Andrew Lambo.

Which do you take if your the Indians. I must say I do not know much about the Dodgers system to be very opinionated on this.

Quick vent...

The fact that Cleveland hasn't accepted an offer of LaPorta + Green + another prospect is pretty whacked. If they think they should get more than that for a rental they'll probably end up either not trading him or wind up with less. If they hang on to CC and take the supplemental picks, they'd be able to draft two players as advanced as LaPorta and Green only in their wettest of dreams. Plus we're throwing in a 3rd player? If LaPorta and Green were added to the 09 draft as they are today, there's no way those two make it to the spots where Cleveland would make those two draft selections.

The talk out there of LaPorta + Escobar or Gamel + Green, etc. or no deal is sheer lunacy. I just want this all done...and I want it done now. If Cleveland wants more than what we're offering tell them to take a hike. Frankly, if Sabathia isn't a Brewer by weekend's end then I think the Brewers are better off looking elsewhere. The fact that Cleveland didn't pounce on that offer tells me we're dealing with someone with a deranged sense of the market.

I agree with the "Please, no Franklin Gutierrez" crowd. Looking at his stats, 10 walks in 199 ABs this year. 21 walks in 271 ABs last year. We need a few more guys that are patient at the plate, not more free swingers!! Plus, what would the Brewers do with Shappach now? Are they going to tell Kendall to hit the pine? I don't think so. They don't really have a spot for Shappach at this time.

If the Dodgers make that trade how are they going to get a SS? I don't know enough about the Dodgers parts other than LaRoche who is solid, to make a statement on who is better. I would be up for putting Salome in a trade and taking out another guy if Green or Cain is viewed as lesser just because my gut is Lucroy will stick as a defensive catcher and his bat is pretty darn good too. I would not add him to make it 4 guys I would just see if replacing Green for him would be better or maybe even Cain. Although LaPorta, Green, and Salome is a ton.

The shine is already somewhat off some of those Dodger prospects. The best player being offered from either the Dodgers or Brewers is easily LaPorta. That should make this a no-brainer for Cleveland. Call their bluff, Doug. If they demand more, tell 'em you're walking. They'd be fools not to come away with LaPorta.

I am going around to various message boards and it bothers me that fans of other teams think we would be mortgaging our future if we trade away some prospects. Do they realize we just had 6 tops picks in this draft, would have 5 top picks next year nad still have Gamel, Jeffress, Escobar, Salome, Brantley, LuCroy, and all of this years draft picks. No matter who we give up we are most certianly not mortgaging our future. There are only so many spots available on the Major League roster so clearly not all these prospects we have are going to be able to pay for the Brewers so why not get 2 1/2 months of CC and make a strong push for the playoffs. We are only 1 out now for gosh sakes, and we would be adding a Cy Young calibur pitcher, we would be the odds on favorite to win the WC and perhaps the Central

Community Moderator

I am going around to various message boards and it bothers me that fans of other teams think we would be mortgaging our future if we trade away some prospects.

BA ranked us the 21st best farm system in the league prior to the season, and as we saw in the Cleveland fan blog linked this morning, that means people are assuming the system is pretty weak.

Archived