Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 2)

Here is what an Indians fan thinks they should get for CC. He is either overvaluing CC, or undervaluing our players.

http://theclevelandfan.com/article_detail.php?blgId=3410

This is great - was this on Comedy Central or something? He's "settle" for Braun and Gamel? How big of him. And it would be nice if he'd at least get the GM's name right - its' DOUG, not Bob, you moron!

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to say before I get into the meat of the latest rumor that if the Dodgers are going to give up Clayton Kershaw in a deal if you are the Milwaukee Brewers you just have to tip your cap to them and say good work.

Jayson Stark was just on with Andy Gresh on ESPN radio and he said the Brewers attempt to broker a deal quickly seems to have backfired just a little bit. Saying that the Chicago Cubs have offered 3 prospects that include some guy named Gallager and the Dodgers who have offered a nice package. Expect to see the Angels, Yankees, and Phillies to make a possible push for Sabathia before the end of the weekend. But the Brewers are still the heavy favorite. It is thought that if the Brewers and Indians don't make a deal before Sabathia's next start that the package the Brewers are offering will decrease SIGNIFICANTLY and the Brewers would then turn their attention to the next best pitchers on the market. It was only recently that Matt LaPorta was offered by the Brewers and was done so with some hesitation and the feeling is that the window may close pretty quick for any deal including LaPorta. The Brewers have also told MLB teams that Escobar is flat out untouchable. Mat Gamel is flying up prospect boards because of his ability with a Left Handed Bat to hit both lefties and righties at a significant clip. This is the reason LaPorta is offered over Gamel, with LaPorta being a Righty. Stark also said that the Brewers while signing Sheets and Sabathia would be difficult they would definatly be major players in the offseason trade discussions to acquire a compliment to Yovani Gallardo and Manny Parra.

OK, this deal better happen before we get to page 50.... plus, I'm blowing my whole Saturday just watching this thread and Sportscenter. ....well, I guess that's not too bad.... but it has to happen before I head to Summerfest later!

The thing is, if Cleveland means it when they say they need to add bats in this deal (which they most certainly do) - the Brewers are still it.

The Cubs and Dodgers are both adding more arms to their proposals - that simply does not match the Indians' needs. I'm sure it's making Shapiro think, but he's got no run production in Cleveland now, and very little of it in the high minors - he NEEDS to add offense.

Saying that the Chicago Cubs have offered 3 prospects that include some guy named Gallager and the Dodgers who have offered a nice package.
I can't see Cleveland doing the Cubs deal unless one of the other two prospects is Vitters. So, is Shapiro paying Stark or something? The Dodgers have offered a nice package, it would be nice to know who. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

trwi7 wrote:
Madtown Bomber wrote:
Saying that the Chicago Cubs have offered 3 prospects that include some guy named Gallager and the Dodgers who have offered a nice package.
I can't see Cleveland doing the Cubs deal unless one of the other two prospects is Vitters. So, is Shapiro paying Stark or something? The Dodgers have offered a nice package, it would be nice to know who. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Knowing the Cubs arrogance the centerpiece is probably Felix Pie.

You know about the Dodgers thing I was thinking the same thing but he named no names. haha I agree is it LaRoche or Either or Kershaw...what? But nothing.

Vitters is nothing special and wouldn't help get CC. I think Stark is correct that Melvin wants this deal done now or some of it will be off the table. When you are renting, 5 extra starts before the trade deadline is huge. I am half hoping this all falls apart, as I was looking forward to LaPorta in Milwaukee next year.

Community Moderator

I am half hoping this all falls apart, as I was looking forward to LaPorta in Milwaukee next year.

I don't know if that means you'll see LaPorta in Milwaukee next year. If this falls apart, I'm 99% sure they'll either move LaPorta to a different team for a different SP in the next few weeks, or they'll ship him out this winter in a deal to replace Sheets.

Yeah the Cubs offer of Gallagher just does not seem like what the Indians need. I actually think the opposite of what Stark said. He said the Brewers plan may have backfired. I think it worked out really well. The indians are going to see the Brewers offer is the best one out there (unless Kershaw really was available then you take that deal in a second as the Indians). I love what Stark was saying about the Brewers dropping what they are offering if it does not happen quick. Every game CC start for Cleveland hurts his value. Thats why people saying Cleveland has no motivation to act quickly are flat out wrong. If they sit back and wait for a great deal they will see the offers drop.

Thats why people saying Cleveland has no motivation to act quickly are flat out wrong. If they sit back and wait for a great deal they will see the offers drop.

Absolutely - if the Brewers get CC this weekend, he'll make two starts before the All-Star break, then one after the All-Star break - before starting once each at St Louis and at home vs the Cubs.

That's enormous, if Cleveland waits, the Brewers may actually "have to" change focus and bring in a different pitcher.

Can someone give some insight with how LaPorta, Green, Cain compares with what the Mariners traded for 2 full seasons of Eric Bedard?

I would have to think that at this point, LaPorta is pretty close in value to Adam Jones. But I doubt Green is quite on the level of Sherrill.

Still this seems like a high price to pay for 3 months of Sabathia instead of 2 years of Bedard.

Or am I wrong and these offers aren't even in the same ball park?

Interesting comment on mlbtraderumors:

My understanding is (I live in Cleveland and work for the Indians - although in merchandising not the front office) that the Indians and Brewers have agreed on a Sabathia, Gutierrez (how would play center for the Brewers next year) and Rafael Betancourt for LaPorta, Green, Villanueva and third prospect. The Brewers were willing to deal a higher rated prospect (the Indians love Jeffress and Salome) if Shoppach was include or we trade Rafael Perez instead of Betancourt. Blake has also been talked about. Anyways my point is that this Cleveland will send other players to the Brewers in any deal not just CC.

Posted by: ntkingsley | July 05, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Of course, someone then follows up with:

ha ha ha, breaking news from Indians merchandising, where's Buster Olney when you need him?

Posted by: the lowercase zach is better | July 05, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Pretty funny. "Interesting" concept, anyway.

They way I see it, C.C. would be more of a move designed to make the team a world series contender rather than a playoff contender; obviously, that isn't a bad thing. However, I consider the Brewers the favorite for the wildcard as teams are currently constructed, so I'd rather not give up a huge piece like LaPorta when I already think the Brewers will make the playoffs. I'd have no problem giving up LaPorta if it was for a pitcher the team would control for more than a year.

Go get Maddux instead before the deadline, keep LaPorta, trade Prince this off-season for a young pitcher we can control for years and re-sign Sheets.

This year:

Sheets

Parra

Maddux

Suppan

Bush

Next year:

Sheets

Gallardo

*Pitcher from Fielder trade*

Parra

Who cares?

Good job Doug... if they don't take it by Sunday.......... start offering that package for Greinke, Cain, or Lincecum.

I don't think I'm the only one who'd prefer any one of these guys to Sabathia anyway, simply because they'd be under the Brewers control for much longer. I think you'd need to improve the C.C. offer for any of those guys, particularly for Lincecum.

LaPorta is not going to get Greinke in my mind. KC would be looking for a lot more than him for a pitcher who we would control for a couple years. There was a quote from Melvin saying those guys would not be available until the off-season. They are not going to help us this year.

Bentancourt would replace villanueva better IMO and Bush/McClung whoever gets bumped for CC would take Carlos' role. I had a feeling someone else would come with CC (either Bentancourt or Perez) if we threw in a 3rd or 4th prospect. I don't think Guti would be in it, especially from a guy who works in the fanzone at the Jake. But, I wouldn't doubt Doug is also trying to get a relief arm too.

Archived