Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 2)

that is one of the most ridiculous things i've heard. there is NO way the Dodgers trade the #1 pitching prospect in the game for 3 months of anybody.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could you imagine if it were the Yankees or Red Sox that Sabathia was rumored to be going to instead? They would have devoted 5-10 minutes to the story on BBTN. And lead off with it. "What will it mean for the team?", "What will it mean for the rival?", player reaction to the rumor, ownership comments, GM comments, a complete breakdown on Sabathia's career stats and season performance selling him as the biggest, baddest stud ever.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Yes.. if Gallardo was healthy and in AAA at this point.. we would trade him.. we would just promote him and put him in the rotation.

So I can't see the Dodgers doing that..

I also can't see the Brewers trading 1 of only 2 viable pitching prospects (Braddock) being the other..

Guess I am not reading this right, but are you saying...

LA would get Hardy and CC

CLE would get LaPorta, Green, and Jeffress

MIL gets Kershaw and Chin-Lung Hu

???

No idea on that one. Have to check on the Dodgers names.

Guess I am not reading this right, but are you saying...

LA would get Hardy and CC

CLE would get LaPorta, Green, and Jeffress

MIL gets Kershaw and Chin-Lung Hu

???

No idea on that one. Have to check on the Dodgers names.

The supposed source is saying that the Brewers get Kershaw and Hu for Hardy plus the Brewers get CC for LaPorta, Green and Jeffress.

What can anyone tell me about Hu?

Hard to imagine the Crew giving up Jeffress, Green, Hardy, and LaPorta in one trade (technically this is two) to get one primo pitching prospect (Kershaw) and a 3 month rental of CC. Hu didn't look like much of anything to me based on stats I saw on baseball reference.

Yea I was had for a fool. They told me that the source was reputable and this rumor has been talked about on WSSP by Sparky and gave me a link that doesnt work. I apologize. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

So as I go to bed the rumor is CC for LaPorta, Green, and Cain. I will be shocked if the pieces are exactly right even if it does happen tomorrow. I liked the LaPorta, Green, and Axford deal better obviously. Our OF depth will be hurt by this but that is okay. I like keeping Green because I am of the feeling that Gamel wont cut it at 3B, but my new plan would be to somehow get either Dewitt or LaRoche from the Dodgers. If we could somehow get one of those guys to replace Green as a future 3B guy I would be happy with this trade. As much as I love LaPorta, if Gamel cannot cut it at 3B then it seems like there is not a spot for one of those two. I do love prospects so it will be hard for me to get really excited about this until CC wins a couple games.

Keep in mind that if the trade is completed on Saturday or Sunday, Sabathia actually would start on Monday (last started on Wed) with Parra and Sheets following on regular rest. Man, that'd be rough for the Rockies.

I would love it if that was true. I personally am for not making this trade. I would rather do the Tony jr for Maddux scenerio instead and wait till the offseason to make a trade for a top flight starter with Prince being the major player leaving

well, if Attanasio is really the driving force behind the Brewers interest in Sabathia, there's no reason one of the Steinbrenner's couldn't force the Yankees to make a trade. They could pretty clearly easily get the trade done by simply offering Chamberlain. I'm 99.99999% sure they won't do that, but they could still offer Hughes or Kennedy and maybe one of their young OF prospects (Jackson/Tabata) and be right in the mix.

I'm pretty sure the Indians would rather have Chamberlain than any 2 guys the Brewers would give up. I'm not as sure about Hughes, but I think they would prefer him to any deal the Brewers would be offering as well.

I'm not saying the Yankees are more likely than the Brewers to consummate the deal, but with their legendary impatience, bottomless pockets (which could be key if the Indians have any bad contracts they want to dump cough*Hafner*cough), and several good to excellent young players, I don't think that it's so outlandish to think they could be the ones who end up with CC.

Damn, I couldn't sleep anymore this morning because I was really thinking/hoping I'd wake up to breaking news. Now it sounds like this thing is kind of stalled. Not the news I wanted to hear. I hope Cleveland pulls the trigger on this ASAP so CC can make his next start in Milwaukee. From the Haudricourt article, it makes it sound like we won't hear anything this weekend which would kind of rule out CC's next start being here. I just hope DM doesn't lose this one. If Cleveland needs another low level prospect to get this done, I hope DM is more then willing to do it. Seems almost like there is no need to be anticipating something today, or even tomorrow. Don't know if I can wait that long though.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Melvin is going to get completely hosed in this deal. I am dead set against giving up a player the caliber of LaPorta for a rental. If Melvin insists on trading him we should be receiving a pitcher like Billingsley or Cain in return. Why this organization is putting it all on the line for one shot is beyond me. We would be better off trading for a Maddux and resigning Sheets so we would have a team that can compete year in and year out. Instead we are mortgaging the future to take one shot and if we fail we will let Sheets go and have no pitching going forward. This is no way to run an organization.

I should also mention that it appears the Brewers are the only team stupid enough to be offering an elite prospect like LaPorta for a rental. I hope and pray this deal doesnt happen.

Why why why, do people keep saying this would only be a rental?? No one knows that the Brewers wouldn't make a reasonable attempt to sign CC. People need to get out of the Selig mindset. Antanassio is not Bud Selig. he has made it a point time after time to say that money is not an object and he is willing to pay whatever it is, to be competitive. There isn't a person on this board that knows for certain that CC would only be a rental, it's an assumption and nothing more. I do believe that Antanassio would have EVERY intention of making CC a fair and reasonable offer in the offseason. He's proven it before.

Archived