Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 2)

Dhonks, makes a good point. The money should be there for us to possibly sign both Ben and CC next offseason, but why even stop there. I would say let's let the season play out as is, and this offseason do the following:

Trade Fielder for Cain from the Giants.

Sign Sheets 5 years at 19 Mil per.

Sign CC 5 years at 21 Mil per.

Rotation:

Ben Sheets

C.C. Sabathia

Yo Gallardo

Matt Cain

Manny Parra

Lineup:

1B - LaPorta

2nd - Weeks

SS - Hardy

3rd - Branyan/RH Platoon partner

Lf - Braun

Cf - Hart

Rf - Gamel

C - Kendell

Bullpen:

Torres

Shouse

McClung

Villenueva

Stetter

Riske

The offense should be pretty average, but the pitching staff would be unmatched in all of baseball (with every single pitcher having the ability of having a sub-4 ERA. Our lineup would be super cheap allowing us the wiggle room to have the above pitching staff. The key would be to continue to develop talent on the offensive side (something we should have plenty of, looking at our current minor league system). Suppan and cash could be shipped off for the right side of the 3B platoon. Hall also could be moved for a moderate upgrade either in the bullpen or a backup MIF.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LaPorta, Green and Cain isn't a bad price IMO. The team loses only one of its upper-echelon prospects in LaPorta, which is on par given Melvin's comments about who he was willing to deal. Green and Cain represent prospects on the next tier, and while I would hate to see either one of them go, their departure is not going to cripple the organization.

And the team holds onto key cogs in Gamel, one of the few lefty impact bats in the system (and a step higher than Green with a higher overall ceiling), Escobar, whose value is obvious as a multi-tooled SS, Salome, since catching prospects are always so hard to come by, and everyone's favorite subject for debate, Michael Brantley, who quite frankly the Indians don't need.

Plus, if this rumor is true, holding onto all of the team's pitching prospects is always a plus. As I pointed out the other night, this deal would be very similar to the ones the Indians pulled a decade ago dealing cogs from their once bat-loaded system (Sexson, Casey, Giles) for pitching help.

Although we've heard quite a few rumored trade scenarios, so who is to say that this most recent one is the one that will stick?

Dhonks, makes a good point. The money should be there for us to possibly sign both Ben and CC next offseason, but why even stop there. I would say let's let the season play out as is, and this offseason do the following:

Trade Fielder for Cain from the Giants.

Sign Sheets 5 years at 19 Mil per.

Sign CC 5 years at 21 Mil per.

Rotation:

Ben Sheets

C.C. Sabathia

Yo Gallardo

Matt Cain

Manny Parra

Lineup:

1B - LaPorta

2nd - Weeks

SS - Hardy

3rd - Branyan/RH Platoon partner

Lf - Braun

Cf - Hart

Rf - Gamel

C - Kendell

Bullpen:

Torres

Shouse

McClung

Villenueva

Stetter

Riske

The offense should be pretty average, but the pitching staff would be unmatched in all of baseball (with every single pitcher having the ability of having a sub-4 ERA. Our lineup would be super cheap allowing us the wiggle room to have the above pitching staff. The key would be to continue to develop talent on the offensive side (something we should have plenty of, looking at our current minor league system). Suppan and cash could be shipped off for the right side of the 3B platoon. Hall also could be moved for a moderate upgrade either in the bullpen or a backup MIF.

All looks good, except LaPorta will be in Cleveland....

Yes if subtract:

Sheets: $10 million

Cameron: $6 million

Counsel: $3 million

Gagne: $10 million

Mota: $4 million

Turnbowl: $4 million

Capuano: $4 million

You have $40 million even before a possible Bill Hall trade. Now yes some of that is going to be eaten up by arby / raises but that is quite a bit to make a run at either, especially if you can dump Suppan and/or Hall on someone at 70% of thier salary ($10 million more).

Buster is just saying the same thing over again. Last start, blah blah blah. Oooh La Porta video makes me happy. Byebye LaPorta. So yeah, thanks for nothing Buster. You've given us nothing since the 5PM Sports Center. Find a source.

I think its pretty ridiculous to expect them to sink 50% of our payroll into two players. We should all be thrilled if we keep one.

I agree.. it is not just the 40% which they could maybe do for a year or two it is the 40% for 6 years on two pitchers that is not likely.

I notce Buster backed off his Escobar comments.. I wonder how he felt to be called out by a local beat writer..

just a reminder whether you like JS or not that they know more about what's going on then some national writer..

When you trade the reigning Cy Young Award winner you have to give the appearance that you're doing your do-diligence. But jimminee christmas if Shapiro takes the deal from the Brewers he will win the PR battle, how did he get a top Ten prospect from the Brewers for a guy they were going to lose. This looks like a win-win!!

Before the trade I thought the atmosphere in Miller Park was excellent but if we get this guy.. to quote a famous commentator "OH MY"!!!!!

When you trade the reigning Cy Young Award winner you have to give the appearance that you're doing your do-diligence. But jimminee christmas if Shapiro takes the deal from the Brewers he will win the PR battle, how did he get a top Ten prospect from the Brewers for a guy they were going to lose. This looks like a win-win!!

Before the trade I thought the atmosphere in Miller Park was excellent but if we get this guy.. to quote a famous commentator "OH MY"!!!!!

I might have to book a trip to Milwaukee to watch a Zambrano - Sabathia match up.. not only would would I go hoarse yelling after Sabathia took him deep but watching him thow up and in to Zambrano would be awesome..

Sabathia wants and is likely going to get 7 years at AAV of $22-24m. And the Dodgers have the money to spend. So you may have to kiss getting a first round pick goodbye.

To get the first round pick the Dodgers would need to finish where exactly? Is it top half of MLB in record? I am not too up to date on this stuff.

Ok.. even though I have absolutely no authority here.. I am implementing a BF.net rule that if this thread reaches 100 pages.. Melvin is required to make the trade to satisfy the will of the people..

jjfanec wrote:

To get the first round pick the Dodgers would need to finish where exactly? Is it top half of MLB in record? I am not too up to date on this stuff.

They would need to finish in the top half of the teams.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Now I found this on the Dodgers board on the ESPN boards, It is very interesting. The guys says he has a source so who knows but this will liven up the discussion more.

"My source told me that the rumor here in Milwaukee is that the C.C. trade with Hardy and LaPorta for C.C. was changed because it appears that the Dodgers have offered a top prospects Clayton Kershaws and Chin-Lung Hu. Milwaukee would then promote Escobar to the mlb at S.S. and change the C.C. trade to LaPorta, Taylor Green (Brewers 2007 prospect of the Year) and Jeffrees. Likely to happen before the all-star break. I will keep you updated on upcoming information. "

Now I would love Kershaw in Milwaukee but I dont know about Jeffress going with LaPorat and Green to CC. Also note that the Dodgers are in need of a SS.

Archived