Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 3)

I think we're being public for a couple of reasons:

1) We're really trying to show the fans--and everyone else in the league including the guys in our own clubhouse that we're trying to win this year.

2) By being upfront about what we're offering, we take away Cleveland's bargaining chip of getting a team to overpay by deception (e.g.: telling the Dodgers we're offering LaPorta, Gamel and + for C.C. for example).

3) The Brewers feel confident their offer is the best, as if another team does end up with C.C. they can hang their hat on the fact they made an ultra competitive offer if we end up with a Maddux, Wolf, or Grienke.

4) To gain interest from other teams thinking "well if they'll over LaPorta for Sabathia, maybe we can offer them player X for him.

Obviously it is a distraction in some sense and that is often why GM's don't come out and speak in public on their efforts to acquire a specific player, but in this case we're pretty much calling the Indians bluff so there is no reason not to.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I don't like the feel of this as it drags out longer and longer. Let's grab Maddux for TGJ and take our chances. Re-sign Sheets. Get Gallardo back in 09. Trade Fielder for ? We'll be just fine if we don't land CC - especially for some absurd package of players.

So really the only 2 new pieces of news that last 24 hours are:

- The Indians want another AA prospect.

- Philly is still in it.

I find it interesting nobody is saying what AA prospect... I mean if it is Errecart instead of Cain I say go ahead..

My Yes / No list for a 2 AA prospect:

No:

Gamel

Escobar

Salome

Brantley

Yes:

Gillespie

Errecart

D. Miller (though I think he is on the DL currently)

A High A:

No:

Jeffress

Braddock

Lucroy

Yes:

Anybody else

AAA:

No:

Pena

Yes:

Anybody Else

I think the team I am most worried about are the Dodgers. If they put together an offer around Broxton or Kemp and then include LaRoche and Hu, we could be in trouble. I am pretty sure Kemp, LaRoche, and Hu out does our offer.

Who is supposedly in the Phillies' offer?

That we don't know, nothing has been said, but what we do know is they have no prospects like LaPorta and all their top prospects are at low levels. It would have to be a quantity vs. quality trade for the Phillies.

I find it interesting nobody is saying what AA prospect... I mean if it is Errecart instead of Cain I say go ahead..

Yeah I find that interesting too. I'm assuming they would want Escobar, but all indications from the Brewers is that isn't happening. Neither is Gamel. I could live with trading Gillespie if Cain is taken out. I'd be fine with adding Errecart as well. Salome is interesting, if he can't stick at catcher he's going to need a DH (unless you want a 5'7 first baseman.) But he has a lot of value with his bat and potentially being able to play catcher so I would be reluctant to trade him.

Buster was just pimping the Phillies offer

Shapiro: Come on Buster, help me out here.

Olney: What exactly do you want me to do?

Shapiro: Say the Phillies are making a strong offer for C.C. on Baseball Tonight. I need to try to get one more top prospect from the Brewers.

Olney: Alright I'll see what I can do.

Shapiro: Thanks buddy, I owe you one.

I'll tell you this much....if Shapiro out smarts himself and loses LaPorta out of this and has to take the Phillies low prospects, he is going to have a lot of explaining to do to his boss and the fans.

I made this point on another board. All indications are LaPorta is on the table as well as two other good prospects. If Shapiro takes the Phillies offer of low level minor leaguers with the known fact that LaPorta is on the table then he's going to have the Cleveland fans show up at Jacobs, check that, Progressive Field demanding his job. LaPorta is exactly what they need. The Phillies could offer Cardenas and he is still very young and producing in a very tough league, the Brewers are also offering a possible second base prospect performing very well in the same league although ours is a little bit older.

How can LA, who has a horrible offense now, deal Kemp?

Exactly. Pitching is not their problem. Their problem is that they're playing Juan Pierre in left field, a very average Blake DeWitt at third base, Angel Berroa at shortstop and an aging Jeff Kent at second base. They would be better off dealing some of their prospects for someone like Jason Bay or Xavier Nady.

splitterpfj wrote:

On the Phillies' board, they're saying the offer is comprised entirely of players currently in Class A.

Why would Cleveland do that?

Good news if true. That means their top pitching prospect Carlos Carrasco isn't being offered. Of course that most likely means Adrian Cardenas is likely being offered. Of course I don't think Cardenas' value is tons higher than Green's value right now and if it is it the difference is not LaPorta.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones that are not made. Frankly, I think the Indians can go pound sand if LaPorta and Green are not enough. I'd give them a deadline of high noon on Monday. If they don't take it, move on to plan B. I think this team as its constructed right now is more than capable of catching the Cubs. Sure it would be nice to have Sheets and Sabathia pitching back to back in a playoff series, but it isn't worth mortgaging the future. C.C. was not impressive in the playoffs last year anyway. If I'm going to move LaPorta, I'd rather it be for a guy who will be under control for at least another year anyway (e.g. Rich Harden who has a club option for 2009 for $7 million).

The Giants have said many times that Cain (along with Lincecum, obviously, and Sanchez) is going nowhere. There's absolutely no reason to not believe them on that. I think Plan B is to hold on to our studs; like RockCoCougar said, if that's not good enough for them, that's more than OK with me.

Plan C, though, I'd think, would be Maddux or Wolf.

COL is right in the race, and SD is not out of it either, as bad as the NL West is. There are not many teams out of it, by any means, today. Many more will be by 7/31, but that list is short right now. How long has it been since a proven young SP has been traded? Cain is not going anywhere.

I haven't talked yet on this whole thread.

But I say punt......

Want to know why.

LaPorta is rediculous and Taylor Green has hit more homeruns at A+ than both Gamel and Braun.

If we give up this package we might as well have given up Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee for a year and a half of Bartollo Colon.

Whatever I have my 20 game pack I will be there for every playoff game. But if LaPorta and Green are really the Package I am not renewing my season ticket package unless Doug Melven is replaced. Then again right now I have about a 1.75 liter of Korbel in me so that might change by the morning. Still I don't like this trade.

I mean, I know a couple liters of brandy isn't the basis for an argument, but would you not renew your tickets if a Sheets-Sabathia-Parra rotation took this team to the NLCS or beyond? I understand where people are coming from--in an ideal world we don't need to trade a LaPorta. But I think Brewers fans are too conditioned at this point on being reliant on "the future." I appreciate that Mark A and the Crew think this, right now, could indeed be that future, whether it happens or not.

Archived