Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 3)

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that bit from TH is accurate, and Shapiro does go with Philly, he's an idiot. I trust Doug to stick to his guns and not give in, and we'll make do elsewhere.
GM's in KC, Toronto, Seattle, SD...scrambling to find Doug Melvin's phone number.

If Cleveland demands Gamel (or Escobar) and LaPorta fine go ahead and do it, with one caveat. Demand Cleveland sign Sabathia to a 10 year deal before the trade and pay 80% of the salary.

See I can look real sad, pout a bit, then ask for the moon too. If Shapiro really did ask for, and is adamant about recieving two of the big 4, it is time to giggle, profusely, and hang up the phone. Heck, I would even wait 20 minutes call him back and just start giggling more.

edit: I was just thinking about this, acquiring CC would give the Brewers 2 Cy Young winners on their roster at the same time. Trade for Maddox for a third, and just hope that Sheets wins this year for a fourth. Your 2008 Brewers Hording Cy Young Winners.

If Cleveland demands Gamel (or Escobar) and LaPorta fine go ahead and do it, with one caveat. Demand Cleveland sign Sabathia to a 10 year deal before the trade and pay 80% of the salary.

See I can look real sad, pout a bit, then ask for the moon too. If Shapiro really did ask for, and is adamant about recieving two of the big 4, it is time to giggle, profusely, and hang up the phone. Heck, I would even wait 20 minutes call him back and just start giggling more.

I agree. Screw them (as I've said before in the last 30 minutes). Shapiro can stick it if he's going to play games.

I would trade much more for Cain than I would Sabathia, but I'm not sure that SF would deal Cain until the offseason. Bedard is an option, but his arm history is frightening, as is Harden's. At least we should get Maddux to give depth to the rotation/pen.

Whoa! I'm a Brewers fan and I just mentioned C.C. Sabathia, Matt Cain, Eric Bedard, Rich Harden and Greg Maddux as valid options in July! Neat. Thanks, Mark.

Brewer Fever, where are you getting that info??? I don't see TH's latest with this info?? I refreshed the JSonline page a couple of times, and all i see is his blog about Melvin waiting for the Indians reply.

It's within that blog post...a reply within his own topic. He posted that update at 9:30 pm. Just scroll down through the replies until you find his comment at 9:30.

I'm getting nervous that Doug caves in and gives up the two AA prospects. I hope he stands firm as he is already giving up 1 top prospect and two pretty good prospects for a 3 month rental. I'd just rather go to plan B, then give up LaPorta and either Escobar or Gamel.

Giving up LaPorta and Escobar would get me really mad.

Giving up LaPorta and Gamel would make me want to put my head into a car window.

If Shapiro gets LaPorta and Gamel, they should give him the Executive of the Century award and DM should be burned in effigy.

Provisional Member

It makes me breathe a little easier that most of the credible rumors haven't included Escobar. I think he is the most untouchable prospect we have other than Jeffres . Both Matt and Mat are better prospects but looking at organizational depth Escobar is incredibly valuable. Our organization is very weak defensively, so I would hate to see the Crew lose Escobar who is

a) very close to being major league ready

b) could solidify a team defensively that has and will have plenty of pop

I understand the temptation in going the "extra mile" to get C.C. but Escobar is too valuable to the Brewers' organization.

This is absurd, I would have to think a combo of LaPorta or Gamel, Green and {insert 3rd prospect here} could net us far more than Sabathia for half a year. I say screw them if they want more, Im with the others that say go after Cain or Grienke. Id much prefer either over a half a year of CC. And to be honest, I think a deal like that would have to be close to getting it done for the Royals or Giants.

I really hope Melvin stands tall and doesnt give away Gamel along with LaPorta. We cant be that desperate. If Cleveland doesnt think LaPorta and Green as well as Cain are enough they are idiots. If Melvin caves in and includes Gamel I will have lost all respect for him as a GM. We can make the playoffs without CC and that is why I would tell Cleveland to go to hell and take out LaPorta and substitute Salome in his stead.

I'm surprised Melvin has been so candid about all this. It's not like him leaking out who we are offering. None of the other teams have done this, it's all speculation and yet Melvin has talked quite a bit with Haudricourt. It's almost as if they are trying to gauge fan reaction before pulling the trigger.

That can't be it, imo. I think it's more likely they are trying to make it known what they are offering so that other teams have to make their best offers now and Cleveland can't drag this out till the end of July.

Maybe. But Cleveland can easily tell other teams what we are offering. We don't have to negotiate through the media. Just seems weird that none of the other teams are going public, just us.

To me, it's CC or bust because NONE of us know who is or isn't going to be available as far as pitching goes. We do know Maddux, Wolf and Burnett are or will be available, but none of them are even close to CC. Everyone is just thinking/hoping that Grienke and/or Cain will be available when frankly, it would be absurd for those clubs to make them available wouldn't you think?? This will be a GIGANTIC letdown to me as a Brewer fan if after days of rumors sounding like a deal could happen at any minute, if this falls thru.

But Cleveland can easily tell other teams what we are offering. We don't have to negotiate through the media. Just seems weird that none of the other teams are going public, just us.

Might be an indication that the offers don't hold up to ours. It's certainly calling other interested GMs out when you announce the players involved... well, that or just knowing no one can beat your offer.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

To be honest, I have no problem dealing Laporta, as I think he projects as another Pat Burrell. But Green could be the 3b answer, or at least 2b. Perhaps even to the tune of Robby Alomar type numbers

I really hope Melvin stands tall and doesnt give away Gamel along with LaPorta. We cant be that desperate. If Cleveland doesnt think LaPorta and Green as well as Cain are enough they are idiots. If Melvin caves in and includes Gamel I will have lost all respect for him as a GM. We can make the playoffs without CC and that is why I would tell Cleveland to go to hell and take out LaPorta and substitute Salome in his stead.

I agree. Call their bluff. Melvin doesn't have a lot of of experience being a "buyer". Except for Linebrink last year. And he did end up bidding against himself for ARod a few years ago.

Don't screw this up Doug.

To me, it's CC or bust because NONE of us know who is or isn't going to be available as far as pitching goes. We do know Maddux, Wolf and Burnett are or will be available, but none of them are even close to CC. Everyone is just thinking/hoping that Grienke and/or Cain will be available when frankly, it would be absurd for those clubs to make them available wouldn't you think?? This will be a GIGANTIC letdown to me as a Brewer fan if after days of rumors sounding like a deal could happen at any minute, if this falls thru.

No, it is not CC or bust. I would love to have him but with the prospects the Brewers were offering for CC i think other teams looking to deal will be coming to them. We don't NEED a guy like CC to win, it would just be a really nice perk and would help us later on. We are 3.5 out of 1st and 1 game out of the WC. We dont need to get desperate. I would actually think SF would be interested in the prospects we were putting out there, but I have no idea if Cain is available.

I think we're being public for a couple of reasons:

1) We're really trying to show the fans--and everyone else in the league including the guys in our own clubhouse that we're trying to win this year.

2) By being upfront about what we're offering, we take away Cleveland's bargaining chip of getting a team to overpay by deception (e.g.: telling the Dodgers we're offering LaPorta, Gamel and + for C.C. for example).

3) The Brewers feel confident their offer is the best, as if another team does end up with C.C. they can hang their hat on the fact they made an ultra competitive offer if we end up with a Maddux, Wolf, or Grienke.

4) To gain interest from other teams thinking "well if they'll over LaPorta for Sabathia, maybe we can offer them player X for him.

Obviously it is a distraction in some sense and that is often why GM's don't come out and speak in public on their efforts to acquire a specific player, but in this case we're pretty much calling the Indians bluff so there is no reason not to.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived