Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 3)

The brewers better not give in and offer more. If someone offers more than Laporta and Green then more power to them. If nobody does and the Indians do not want what we are offering then let them keep CC. We will just save our guys to either play for the Brewers in the future or use as pieces for someone else in a trade that we would have longer.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They said Indians and Brewers are thinking differently. Brewers are building around LaPorta with no other significant AA prospect. Indians want another stud with LaPorta from AA.
Yes, one team is being realistic.

LaPorta + (Say Gamel) is ions better than the two compensation picks that the Indians would receive. (Not to mention the 5 million we have to pay Sabathia the rest of the year)

Can't blame the Indians for trying - but no rental is worth that much. This is starting to seem like one of those situations where the GM over reaches and ends up with nothing because he spent the whole month of July insisting that he didn't have to trade the player. (Soriano with Washington) If Shapiro messes this up, he might cost himself a job.

Only thing that would make up for missing out on Sabathia would be to get Harden..
Harden hasn't pitched a full season since 2004 so he's a risk. He left his last start with what they called "kind of a dead arm".

Interesting line from a poster on the Indians forum. This in reference to the Indians broadcaster Tom Hamilton:

hamilton says he thinks the trade gets announced after the game tonight, which makes sense from the brewers' viewpoint.

Indians want another stud with LaPorta from AA.

That's absurd. This reeks of an owner stepping in thinking the team should get the moon for a player they're about to lose for draft picks. If Cleveland doesn't deal Sabathia, they have about a 1 in a 100 chance of drafting 2 players that would climb to LaPorta and Green's status with those two picks. We're talking about a mid to late 1st round pick and a sandwich pick. LaPorta was drafted what, 7th overall? And what's the success rate of 1st round picks anyway? These guys have already progressed further than most draft picks. And the Brewers are adding a third prospect as well. Gimme a break Cleveland.

Now they're saying Philly is the #2 contender? But Philly's offer would center around multiple players currently in A ball. Hello?!?!? Isn't the Brewers offer also multiple A ball players, but also a highly ranked AA player? What am I missing here? Where is a player anywhere near LaPorta's calibur gonna come from on the Philly end?

I'm to the point where I don't care if we get him or not. We've put more than a fair offer on the table. If another team wants to outbid us (at least in Cleveland's mind), they can have him.

Ditto. Id be just as happy to add Maddux and see what he could bring.

The Dodgers nor the Phillies can offer what we have to offer. What I mean by that is that we do not even have to put Jeffress or Braddock on the board to make this happen. LA is short on talent and so is Philly in their farm system. Stick to your guns Doug Melvin. There are so many good ball players through out this farm system, the Brewers should be able to trump any deal a rival team can make for a rented player. I would take the pitching prospects off the board and bury the competition. Remember, you get 2 big time picks when CC goes his own way at the end of the season. Worst case is you sign the guy and have an incredible rotation come April.

Attanasio is in town this weekend, I'm sure he would love for a deal to be announced while he's still here so he could get some good p.r. face time on TV. He has to make up the the pathetic pimping of his son's band at Summerfest. Not one bad interview, but two (Pregame show and during the game).

Is it a definite thing that if we get CC and let him walk that we let Sheets walk too? If we can afford him, this shows him we are serious about winning, why would he want to leave? I think if the resign him we can still compete next year regardless of what happens with CC.

If indeed we could get Cain w/o giving up LaPorta I end negotiations with the Indians immediately. I'm not that would be the case but we would control Cain for 2 or 3 years, I think 3 more. Not sure if he's available but definitely would at least call up Mr. Sabean.

Is it a definite thing that if we get CC and let him walk that we let Sheets walk too? If we can afford him, this shows him we are serious about winning, why would he want to leave? I think if the resign him we can still compete next year regardless of what happens with CC.

http://imgserv.ya.com/galerias2.ya.com/img/5/54245ec01323f47i3.jpg

ESPN: When there's nothing to talk about, just keep talking anyway.

I hope the 'after tonight's game' talk is true, otherwise I'll wait until tomorrow. I can't imagine much has changed since our initial offer.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm surprised Melvin has been so candid about all this. It's not like him leaking out who we are offering. None of the other teams have done this, it's all speculation and yet Melvin has talked quite a bit with Haudricourt. It's almost as if they are trying to gauge fan reaction before pulling the trigger.

Community Moderator

I find it hard to believe that Olney can keep a straight face while trying to sell the quantity over quality argument as to how Philly might trump the Brewers offer.

Yeah, that was practically laughable. He's not even acknowledging the rumors that the Brewers are offering 3 players as well. As if they're going to turn down a deal with a superior player like LaPorta if the Phillies offer them 6 low-level prospects.

I find it hard to believe that Olney can keep a straight face while trying to sell the quantity over quality argument as to how Philly might trump the Brewers offer.

I find it hard to believe Candlebox is still a group, or that ESPN thinks I want to see their cover of Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

Yeah, that was practically laughable. He's not even acknowledging the rumors that the Brewers are offering 3 players as well. As if they're going to turn down a deal with a superior player like LaPorta if the Phillies offer them 6 low-level prospects.

But the deal has been restructured! It's so exciting! Now it's anyone's game!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived