Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 3)

This "restructuring their offer" business sounds like revisionist journalism...

ESPN could just be covering Olney's butt, since he reported Escobar and Hardy as being parts at times. It likely was always LaPorta/Green/2nd-tier OF; this blurb just puts ESPN in line with the eventual outcome.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewcrewin07:

I too have a feeling that TH is a step ahead of Buster. He does indicate that LaPorta would be involved in a possible trade, but gives no information regarding Cain and/or Green. I believe this is a reiteration that Escobar and Gamel are off-limits.

If I were a Cleveland fan, I'd want Shapiro to pull the trigger on a deal with Milwaukee ASAP. I'd bet that LaPorta would be called up to MLB very soon, and he'd draw some interest. When they're out of the race and CC's gone, I bet they'll be drawing 18000 a night. It's better than taking a considerably lesser offer from LAD (why would CLE want any part of Hu?) -- and it would be prudent to pull the trigger before CC's next start (obviously to keep his value where it is).

I took Olney's comments to mean that they are only offering LaPorta as a centerpiece. (No one else from AA will be included in the trade)

It will be LaPorta, and A+ prospects or nothing.

I am glad the Brewers are already looking in to other options. I imagine a few other teams must see that offer and think "Dang, I'd take that offer for pitcher X" Hopefully, other teams are enticed by the offer.

I agree with Al, I think some are underestimating the Dodgers here. If they are offering Laroche and Hu, that is not that far away from Laporta and Green. They both have had phenomenal numbers in the minors. I'd rate Hu better than Escobar. He has far better numbers overall. Just because in a small sample Laroche and Hu have not done well in the majors does not mean they are not good prospects. I think this will come down to if the Dodgers add in another big prospect. If Kershaw is added or another major league ready player, the Brewers should be out of it (at least I hope because that would be too much to pay).

If the Dodgers win, oh well. We would be better off with a pitcher who will be here more than one year. If we get CC, I think the top of our rotation looks scary in a 5 or 7 game series.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

From that Olney blurb:

As the Brewers compile that Plan B list of possible targets, it might include the Padres' Randy Wolf, Seattle's Erik Bedard, Oakland's Joe Blanton and Rich Harden, San Francisco's Matt Cain and Toronto's A.J. Burnett.
Matt Cain is a plan B? What? If Matt Cain is available, I'd prefer him over C.C. and it's not even close. Cain is signed for three more years.

I don't understand the whole restructuring statement, since they were never offering another prospect of LaPorta's level.
Because it sounds better than, "I made a mistake and don't know what I was talking about."

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The Dodgers' offer is missing that one guy that makes you take the deal. Small sample or not, Hu didn't just hit poorly, he fell flat on his face in LA, and LaRoche has had some injury issues in the past, which may be why he hasn't produced in LA either. Twelve months ago, a package with LaRoche and Hu in it would have caused jaws to drop - but that's not so today.

It's the nature of prospects, a year from now, maybe Hu's the man, and maybe LaPorta is flat on his face. I'm nobody's GM, maybe Shapiro disagrees with me, but I think the Brewers' reported offer is much stronger because there's no "Yeah, but" with LaPorta or Green. They haven't been sent back to AAA due to lack of production, they've put up numbers.

It's just a timing thing that happens to favor Milwaukee right now.

Why would the Dodgers even think about dealing Clayton Kershaw? Especially for a "rental"? If you think the Brewers are mortgaging the future by dealing LaPorta/Green, look at what the Dodgers may do. If they deal Broxton to Cleveland, aren't they weakening their bullpen significantly? I've always been impressed with Broxton.

Do the Dodgers really believe that they can make a run at the World Series with Sabathia? I see the Brewers with a much better opportunity with Sabathia.

From that Olney blurb:

As the Brewers compile that Plan B list of possible targets, it might include the Padres' Randy Wolf, Seattle's Erik Bedard, Oakland's Joe Blanton and Rich Harden, San Francisco's Matt Cain and Toronto's A.J. Burnett.
Matt Cain is a plan B? What? If Matt Cain is available, I'd prefer him over C.C. and it's not even close. Cain is signed for three more years.

Pure speculation.

Baseball Tonight on right now. Breaking news on Sabathia. They said Indians and Brewers are thinking differently. Brewers are building around LaPorta with no other significant AA prospect. Indians want another stud with LaPorta from AA.

olney basically just re-hashed the article on the internet. i think we can all sleep safely tonight.

as long as a deal is made by monday morning, a tuesday start at miller park is possible.

Let's get on the phone to the Giants, Cain would be a better choice anyway. Shapiro is smoking crack if he thinks he should get 2 of AA prospects. This guy better know what he's doing because this is the type of trade people lose their jobs over!!

Archived