Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 3)

Community Moderator

BTW, it's probably been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but where is LaPorta ranked overall as a prospect?? I am not talking about as a Brewer minor leaguer but as a minor leaguer overall?? Top 10??

Prior to the 2008 season (February), he was ranked as the 23rd best prospect in baseball by BA. That has probably gone up considerably since then.

For reference sake, the Dodgers' Kershaw was 7th, LaRoche was 31, and Hu was 55.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The waiting game continues.

TH reports Melvin is now just waiting to hear if the Brewers win out or not, and expects to hear by tomorrow or Monday. This reminds me a lot of when we traded Carlos Lee, there were rumors here, rumors there, rumors everywhere then out of the blue we finally trade him. This thing will probably go down at 3am early Monday or something http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Community Moderator

I think the brewers need to give it here our offer and take it or leave it so they can move on.

I think that's more or less where we are at this point- the Brewers have made their offer, now the ball is in Cleveland's court and they have another day to decide. Not a lot more the Brewers should do right now, as Shapiro needs to figure out that there's no one out there that can top our offer.

I feel like some of you are overrating LaPorta. Even though he is a top prospect he is not a sure thing, he is still a prospect. His power is already there, but if you put him in the majors right now he would probably bat around .240-.250 with pretty good power. Solid, but he still needs to improve to be an impact player.

I am all for getting rid of him for the right price as he is blocked but once you get rid of him you no longer have that piece for future use. Laporta, Green and Cain could be valuable pieces in the offseason to get a real good young pitcher in the offseason to replace Sheets. Getting rid of these 3 guys gets rid of a lot of our depth and ability to do a big move like that in the offseason. Instead of using them on a great rental (Sabathia) you could use them on a good pitcher who will be around for awhile. Melvin has obviously weighed these options and feels this is a better opportunity.

Having said all that, it would sure be great to have CC, Sheets and Parra at the top of our rotation to end the year. I see a lot of people talk about this being the opportunity to make the playoffs and that is why we should get him. That is true and it will help get us there but an additional big time value that I do not see talked about much is what he would do for our chances to make or win the world series after we are in the playoffs. Considering you only need 3 starting pitchers in the playoffs a starting rotation of Sheets, Sabathia, Parra/Suppan, Sheets, Sabathia, Parra/Suppan would be as good as any team would be able to put on the field. No team is going to want to go up against that.

Community Moderator

That worries me a little about the Hu and Laroche being ranked so high.

Don't worry too much- if they put out a new ranking right now, neither would be ranked in the Top 100 at all, IMO.

And LaPorta probably would be in the Top 20 for sure.

You would prefer an answer tomorrow rather than Monday. Conceivably Sabathia would step into McClung's spot which is monday. He would be on his normal day to work. Indians have the day off, which is why he wasnt scheduled to pitch sooner. That also puts him between Parra and Sheeter. Lets get this done!!

LaPorta would be in the top 15, Gamel would be in the top 25, Jeffress would like be around 50, Escobar would probably Crack the list as well.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

As a reminder, please don't cut and paste entire content from elsewhere do to potential copyright concerns- please provide links.

Thanks!

My apologies.....I had posted the link by cutting and pasting and it didn't work, so then I went back and thought I copied the link again, but instead the entire article was already cut in my browser for some reason. Trying to do things to fast I guess.

This makes sense to me, whoever gets Sabathia will want him to pitch Monday or Tuesday, and Cleveland will want to sort through the offers, to make sure they make the best decision.

I would imagine the answer will come tomorrow, and I do think the Brewers are the favorites to get him, Cleveland's giving it as much time as they can for some other GM to lose his mind.

Here's a thought I just had. The Indians are known to have scouted Taylor Green (and probably other prospects), wouldn't that indicate that they were leaning towards the Brewers offer?? We don't know for sure, but it hasn't been printed anywhere that they have scouted the Dodgers prospects have they?? Using what would seem to be common logic in this case, I can only conclude that they have focused on the Brewers as their likely trade partner.

Does Buster just have a Word Document with the first sentence blank and then

..............................The Brewers seem to be the front runner. They have a loaded AA team and so on.

Every blog or update he does has the same last three sentences.

Brewers not willing to give up too much for C.C.?

ESPN is reporting the Brewers have restructured their offer and don't want to give up another prospect on LaPorta's level. They didn't mention names, but this thing is getting crazy. I personally believe TH over ESPN and think this could possibly be an Indians spin to garner more interest.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I don't think it takes all that long to look at who's been in what offer. I'd imagine their scouts had everyone prerated and they have up a little draft board. There's many reasons for Cleveland to delay and really the only thing that would potentially force them to move is that Melvin made the deal time sensitive. The concepts here are pretty basic, the more starts Sabathia makes for Cleveland, the less valuable he becomes...

My best guess is that they've already made a decision, went back to the other to the clubs to see if they'll top Milwaukee's offer and they'll wait till the Brewer's deadline to complete the trade. Sort of like how in football every team uses up nearly the entire clock in the first round of the draft when we all know damn well who they are going to pick. If another club tops offer, I'm fine letting him go, I feel we're giving up way too much for a rental the way it is. LaPorta and Cain are fine, but not Green, he'll produce like Overbay and Cirillo, and he's LH, something the Crew definately needs more of in the lineup.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

ESPN is reporting the Brewers have restructured their offer and don't want to give up another prospect on LaPorta's level.

Damn, I don't like the sound of that, but I trust Haudricourt on this one, and he hasn't mentioned anything about a restructuring of the deal. I think Olney is probably basing this off the fact that he thought originally that Escobar would be included, and that was never the case. I think he's probably hearing the offer Haudricourt has stated and is writing his article thinking that is a restructuring of the deal, when it never has been.

Glad to hear the Dodgers aren't close to making a deal with them though. C'mon just get this done, so we can all celebrate!!

Haudricourt hasn't said anything about the deal being restructured. He has maintained that Escobar has never even been offered. Meanwhile, the national writers like Olney etc, have thought, or had thought that Escobar was also part of the deal which was never the case. So I am thinking(hoping) that what happened is, because the writers like Olney are hearing about the Brewers offer as Haudricourt has stated it that they think it's a restructuring of the deal because Escobar isn't included when in fact, he never was.

Archived