Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 3)

This is a little off topic, but if we end up going through with this I think the Matt Gamel at third charade needs to end. Stick him at first or even left field once LaPorta leaves. There's a noticable hole at third in our system then, but Gamel's glove will never stay there. Slide J.J. over when Alcides is ready, and stick Gamel in as a Fielder replacement.

IF/When Laporta is traded and T Green in the deal, Gamel can be moved off 3rd base to corner of/1b. One possibility could be the Brewers top pick Lawrie could be groomed as a 3rd baseman.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, Summerfest plans fell through (really wanted to see Cheap Trick, though) and I already have tickets to tomorrow's and Monday's games. So I guess I'll just need to head to the bar to watch the game. AND to get away from this thread for a little while (which I'm sure everyone will be ok with!). It has to happen this evening, doesn't it? Announce it during the game??

Let me get this straight. The Dodgers are throwing a package of prospects out there for Jack Wilson, some of whom are also out there for Sabathia? Then why the heck doesn't Melvin trade Hardy, far superior to Wilson to the Dodgers for Broxton, and leave ourselves as the only realistic team for Cleveland to trade C.C. to? It's too easy. We get our bullpen arm, make room for Escobar, and leave Cleveland no other option than to pull the trigger on the LaPorta deal.

Then why the heck doesn't Melvin trade Hardy, far superior to Wilson to the Dodgers for Broxton,

See above...my thoughts exactly. Which means there has to be something else strange going on - or the Jack Wilson rumors are just wrong.

Well if AA players can swap 9 out of 10 bases on him in 2 games, I'd say he's a defensive liability at this point. He has all the tools for sure, but then again so does Weeks. It's so hard to predict how a guy will turn out defensively.

His bat is pretty darn good... In my opinion at his peak he'll hit .300ish, 25-30HRs, .350ish OBP, 800+ OPS. He doesn't strike out much, but he doesn't walk much either. He's always hit well, he's just lost time with that terrible leg injury and the suspension.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Honestly, is Jack Wilson worth some of the Dodgers' top prospects? I wouldn't mind the thought of trading JJ, especially for Broxton.

Never underestimate the stupidity of Ned Colletti. This is the same man that made the brilliant signings of Juan Pierre, Andruw Jones, and Jason Schmidt. If I was DM, I'd be trying to swindle him out of Broxton for Craig Counsell because Counsell is such a scrappy gamer.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The Dodgers are throwing a package of prospects out there for Jack Wilson, some of whom are also out there for Sabathia?

I think it's more an indication that the offer for Sabathia is nowhere near ours. If they were really offering someone like Kershaw or Meloan or LaRoche for Wilson, the Pirates probably would've said 'Yes' already.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Here is the most recent post from the link I posted.....This guy gets it:

Let's revisit the Colon trade. At the time of the deal, Gammons called Lee and Phillips the 2 best players in the Eastern League (AA) while Sizemore was a promising "throw-in" but not exactly burning up A ball. If the Brewers are offering LaPorta and Green, I think that is not too far off what we got for Colon. LaPorta is probably the top power hitter in the Southern League and Green is probably one of the top prospects in the Florida State League. Add in Cain and this is a good deal that Shapiro should jump on.

Agreed. If anything, the LaPorta+Green+Cain offer is overpaying. If the Tribe insists on more, walk away. There are other SP out there, and plenty of talent in our system.

The point is the Brewers need to make a space for him or trade him in the next two seasons. Escobar has time, Gamel has another year, Salome as a catcher has a boatload of time, LaPorta really doesn't.

I don't see how this is an issue. If LaPorta isn't traded, it seems clear to me there will be a spot for him in Milwaukee by 2010 at the very latest. I kind of think he'd be the Brewers' first baseman next season.

Gord said the other day they would look at prospects who "are blocked", so Laporta is considered blocked, though that may open up by '09 or '10. Green as well, and Cain has several OF's in front of him.

It sounds as if Escobar is untouchable...while Hardy's name has shown up in rumors...that seems to speak volumes about the future.

How has Hardy's name being inaccurately tied to this by someone speculating told us anything about future plans?

I agree that it's likely J.J. would move or be traded to open up for Escobar, but I don't think the false rumor here tells us anything.

Powell asked Mark A. about the C.C. rumors on the Brewers pregame show. Mark A. gave the typical owner-speak on it, but said that the Brewers are trying to put together a package the Indians will find intriguing as the Brewers know how it is to be on the opposite side of these types of deals. Mark said Doug was "working on it" and they are guardedly optimistic and will see how things play out this weekend.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Team Canada, it's not as bad being LaPorta as it is us posters at Brewerfan.net. In fact, it's not even close. You don't think our lives will be turned upside down by whatever happens?? I think you are sadly mistaken if you don't think so. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wonder what it's like to be LaPorta right now, knowing that in the next couple days your life could be turned upside down.

Dude it has to suck. Knowing that you are being offered as the main piece of a deal. I guess it some ways it would feel cool to be considered so highly by other clubs, but still.

I'd bet it's exciting and nerve-racking at the same time. Quite a compliment to be considered as good as (or nearly so) the best hitting prospect in MLB, and the main cog in a trade for one of the best SP in the league.

I don't see how this is an issue. If LaPorta isn't traded, it seems clear to me there will be a spot for him in Milwaukee by 2010 at the very latest. I kind of think he'd be the Brewers' first baseman next season.

Because it means if LaPorta scuffles at AAA at all it becomes problematic.

LaPorta will be a starting Major Leaguer as soon as he's traded to the Indians or any other team, so I'm not sure how tramatic it really is for him.

Also, those that think Manny Parra will be shut down in the playoffs (if the Brewers make it) are absolutely crazy. You were the same people that were preaching when Gallardo would be shut down last year (didn't happen) and the whole philosophy in general would make a trade for Sabathia a bit contradictory wouldn't it?

Why would it suck? He would be moving from an organization where he is blocked, at least short term, to an organization where he would have a highly likely shot at being called up within a month or two. It's also not like he would be getting sent to the Mariners or Pirates, two of the worst run franchises imo. LaPorta is probably hoping for a trade.

I wonder what it's like to be LaPorta right now, knowing that in the next couple days your life could be turned upside down.

He could be looking forward to it as he would have never been the face of this franchise in my opinion. Braun's popularity has skyrocketed since accepting the deal. The Indians actually have no player that fills that void except Grady Sizemore.

"In talking with executives involved, they can't imagine the Dodgers being able to fashion a deal unless they involve Kershaw, Billingsley or Kemp, and that would be a pretty steep price to pay for a 2 1/2 month rental. It still appears as though the Brewers are the front runners, they have this incredible AA club, loaded with prospects, they're building their offer around Matt LaPorta. The Indians are trying to build up their position players, they've got good pitching." -Buster Olney, ESPN

That's exactly how I see it, the Indians want bats, the Dodgers are not a good match, unless Kemp is in it, and the Dodgers don't have the offensive depth to let him go right now. LaRoche is a guy you'd take in a deal, but he is no longer a guy you build a deal around - he needs to show something at the major-league level, so far he's looked like the stereotypical AAAA player.

Splitter, I agree with you that the Brewers deal cannot be matched, but I just worry that Cleveland wants to let this play out, see if more teams get involved before the deadline, and some team (due to injury or whatever else), decides to really blow their socks off with an offer. It would be a calculated gamble on Shapiro's part, but perhaps one he is willing to take, otherwise I think this deal would be done already. It shouldn't, but the Dodgers really worry me. I just wish there wasn't anyone else involved, then I'd know for a fact he'd be a Brewer. I am so worried this thing will fall thru and I(as well as many others) will be incredibly disappointed.

BTW, it's probably been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but where is LaPorta ranked overall as a prospect?? I am not talking about as a Brewer minor leaguer but as a minor leaguer overall?? Top 10??

Archived