Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 3)

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CC to the Brewers = Reggie to the Packers
Not even close, Reggie was a free agent, and he played the rest of his career in GB (well except for the coming out of retirement nonsense). The Brewers will never be players in free agency until the economics of baseball change, and CC will not play a full year for the team. He's more like Rison, if the Brewers do in fact make the playoffs.

edit. The other prospect isn't someone in Huntsville, so as long as it's not Jeffress or Braddock I guess I'll deal. Green still bothers me though.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

ESPN just reported that a deal is likely going to be done soon. Laporta is of course in this deal and shapiro is trying hard to get escobar
thats from indian ink..... i dont get why so many of those guys think that the brewers would give up there only (IMO) true pitching prospect (like future ace 1-2 pitcher) along with laporta and green, i mean aft jeffress we have just a bunch of bottom rotation guys.

Alex Periard, Zack Braddock, Evan Anundsen, Aumary Rivas, Cody Scarpetta, Evan Fredrickson, Jake Odorizzi, and Seth Lintz beg to differ with you (and these are just the first names that popped into my head). You're right that Jeffress is the highest ceiling young arm in the system, but to write these other fellows off as "bottom of the rotation guys" isn't quite accurate at this point (at least I don't think so)

Brantley and Errecart being hurt might be why Huntsville needs another bat, hence the Cain move.

True, but that was known before today. And Brantley is only out for about 10 days. You'd think they'd work around it if a Cain promotion wouldn't be permanent.

CC to the Brewers = Reggie to the Packers
Not even close, Reggie was a free agent, and he played the rest of his career in GB (well except for the coming out of retirement nonsense). The Brewers will never be players in free agency until the economics of baseball change, and CC will not play a full year for the team. He's more like Rison, if the Brewers do in fact make the playoffs.

true. BUT... i think we are underestimating the desire to win and the checkbook of Mark A. he has quietly spent more and more money every year since becoming the owner and who is to say if we make the playoffs this year but don't go to or win The Series he doesn't throw out a boatload of cash on the table to re-sign sheets (or CC for 1 or 2 years) after this season ends? Mark A. has the money, he just hasn't spent it yet.

Cubs fans on 670 the Score asking if hendry can "block" the CC deal somehow right now... ha! and the nervousness starts to Brew in Chi-town... nice.

You'd think they'd work around it if a Cain promotion wouldn't be permanent.

Cain was actually sent to AAA Nashville for a short period earlier this year and then went back down to A+, so a short stint in Huntsville wouldn't be unprecedented.

Cody Scarpetta

Are you sure about that one?

I can't believe it only took 75 pages for this to happen. When it becomes official, we have to start a new thread in the "Major League" forum. This one needs to die.

I just hope Jack Z is still around for next years draft.

Agreed. Mark A. should give him a GMesque sized contract. He has added a lot of value to this team and Mark's pockets.

Formerly Andersoc420

You'd think they'd work around it if a Cain promotion wouldn't be permanent.

Cain was actually sent to AAA Nashville for a short period earlier this year and then went back down to A+, so a short stint in Huntsville wouldn't be unprecedented.

Very well. Thanks for the insight, that's good to know.

who is to say if we make the playoffs this year but don't go to or win The Series he doesn't throw out a boatload of cash on the table to re-sign sheets (or CC for 1 or 2 years)

I think it's pretty much etched in stone that there is no chance that CC accepts a one or two year deal. He's looking for a Zito or Santana contract, and someone will give it to him.

I just was told by a reliable club source that the Brewers have a deal in place with Cleveland for left-hander C.C. Sabathia, contingent on the paperwork being done and medical records exchanged.

But believe me, folks, that's a deal. All that other stuff is formality.

All I know so far is that top prospect Matt LaPorta is in the deal. I was told two lower-level minor leaguers also are included. The Brewers refused to include another top prospect such as Alcides Escobar or Mat Gamel.

Look for Sabathia to make his debut for the Brewers Tuesday night at Miller Park against Colorado.

I'll post more details as I get them.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/06/brewers-indians-agree-on-sabathia.aspx

DONE DEAL!!!!

This thread is awesome. 75 pages! It just grows by the minute last time I looked I believe yesterday it was in the 40's. I'm just thanking God Gamel and Escobar are not in this deal. I'm getting pumped for Sabathia for the rest of this year and 2 more picks in the draft.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Even when this thread gets shut down, I think it is WOAH SOLVDD material.

The good news for C.C. is no one wears #52, although that may bring back bad, bad memories for some fans of Jose Capellan.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Wow, ok, that sounds . . . sure? I'm on board if it's just LaPorta and a few minor league spare parts.

Yeah, that is how I felt the entire time. If it was just LaPorta and a few spare parts I was all in. But if Gamel or Escobar were mentioned I was very anti-Sabathia.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived